Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 stars/stripes 351W
Amp question's for those in the know

Could someone please give me some feedback on choosing between these 2 amps, I plan on running 4 polk DB651 speakers and a sub, I know the mbquart is a class D amp, and the boss is a class A/B but it is marine rated , but would like for someone more knowlegable to look at the specs, I'm not sure I know enough to choose the one that is the best bang for the buck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOSS-AUD...item519a8f36f4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-QUART-ONX...item43abc5229e
Old 12-21-2011, 04:08 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SNS View Post
Could someone please give me some feedback on choosing between these 2 amps, I plan on running 4 polk DB651 speakers and a sub, I know the mbquart is a class D amp, and the boss is a class A/B but it is marine rated , but would like for someone more knowlegable to look at the specs, I'm not sure I know enough to choose the one that is the best bang for the buck
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOSS-AUD...item519a8f36f4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MB-QUART-ONX...item43abc5229e
I got nothing....

However, one of the smart guys from TX has a recommendation that is first-hand testimony.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...07&postcount=2

With the 4 channel Boss, you'll have to bridge channels to run all 5 speakers from one amp. Personally, I'd not entertain the car amp in one of your links. Dougie has the right idea....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
How big of a sub are you going to run?

This is the amp I have running almost an identical setup as you are talking about and it has worked out well. It's reasonably price, is ample to power those polk db speakers and an 8--10" sub. If anything, the sub channel is a bit short on power on paper. But that said, I am powering a polk MM series sub and don't have the gain turned up past 1/3 of the way.

Infinity Reference 5 Channel Amp

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft 197 TT 2007
I think a lot of this would depend on the size sub you plan on running too. IMHO I'd run a separate amp for the sub and use a Cadence amp. I told them I was using this in my boat and the salesman told me they would warranty the amp even if I submerged it in water. I bought my amp directly from Cadence. off hand I can't remember which model it was but was used to power my Wet Sounds Pro 80's

http://www.cadencesound.com/categories/Amplifiers/

2007 Prostar TT 197.....special delivery from the dealer 3/18/08 sold 6/7/11
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Just an FYI, the MB Quart ONX4.125 is a Class AB amplifier despite what the seller claims.
Not a Class D.
The specs don't always mean a great deal as there is no regulating body to enforce compliance to any industry standard. You just have to do business with a manufacturer that is trustworthy.
I also agree that the subwoofer selection should determine the amplifier.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 PM
MC Hero

And the enclosure type as well. Don't need as much power for a ported/BR enclosure as you do for a sealed enclosure.

/see, David. I've been paying attention.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 12-22-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 stars/stripes 351W
I am open to suggestions on the sub as well, I would like to use a 8" or 10", with a enclosed box
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
You def don't need a marine amp unless your boat is stored outside in the elements and doesn't get a chance to breath in high high humidity. People run car audio amps in boats way more than marinized versions. Marine audio has finally started to somewhat catch up on performance. As mentioned that MB Quart is also a class A/B amp.

If u want something to last I would stay away from the Boss amps...while they will work and people run them their power specs are notoriously over rated and areknown to be inefficient. Their marine amps are not the best quality either. Your speakers are only as good as the amp powering them. You have a decent speaker so I would go with a decent amp. Again you don't have to get a marine amp.

Those speakers really want 100watts ems going to them. You can get away 75watts. Having a smaller boat and minimal space I would again suggest a strong 4channel amp. There are tons of middle of road amps out there. I have always liked the kicker zx series amps for best bang for buck sound quality ratio. Their customer service is great I have been running their amps in my trucks for years. I have only had one go bad and they refurbed it for 50 bucks.

Like others suggest narrow down your sub choice. You can easily run 4 inboats and a sub off one 4 channel amp. You don't need a second amp at all.....that is unless u want to run a huge sub. Have a price range in mind for a sub? Stereo stuff is def one of those you get what you pay for things. However there is some decent stuff at each pricepoint. You will also find its the Chevy vs Ford debates on a lot of the brands in the middle of the road category.

Last edited by swatguy; 12-22-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SNS View Post
I am open to suggestions on the sub as well, I would like to use a 8" or 10", with a enclosed box
I have been very happy with my Polk MM840.

As for the speakers, they are definitely rated for 100 rms. But you can get away with less and they will sound great. But if you find a good amp in your price range that can give them the full juice, go for it.

I just picked up a 4 channel Polk amp from Polk's factory refurb ebay store that does 90 watts per channel rms for $199.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Last edited by east tx skier; 12-22-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I have been very happy with my Polk MM840.
That would be good choice. IMO Polk gives you some of the higher end materials in lower end price range. The boat audio world isn't as harsh as the car audio in sound quality purely do to the open air and ambient noise enviorment. If you want a little more the 1040 or the 1040um are decent as well.