Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-20-2011, 05:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2
Need help, stereo stopped working

I have a 2008 x2, its new to me. It has a clarion CMD3 stereo
Stereo was working fine, except the Subwoofer was blown.

The other day I replaced the subwoofer, and installed the ipod wire. Both were working fine.
I had the ignition switch on, but engine off, and stereo on listening to music while working on installing the forward bilge pump. I turned the ignition switch off. Stereo turned off as normal.

When I went to use the stereo again, it doesnt turn on. As if theres no power to the receiver.
I have checked the power leads and am getting 12v. There are 2 fuses behind stereo receiver that are fine, circuit breaker is also fine.
I disconnected subwoofer, and ipod wire, it still doesnt work.

Can someone please suggest what to check for this?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
I assume that the receiver does not power up in the sense that it does not light up. If that is the case then you should be able to narrow your focus to the HU/receiver and its supplies.
How are you determining the voltage? With a volt/multimeter or with a test light? You must verify the exact voltage. 12 volts is more than enough to power up the HU but 10.5 may not be.
Verify that the HU has a good ground. Run a temporary ground to the HU chassis if you must.
Take a close look at the pins on both the male/female side of the HU molex plug.
Check the HU side of the fusing for voltage on both the constant and switched. Its possible that a bad fuse can appear okay visually.
Temporarily unplug all remote controls, RCAs, amp trigger lead and every other unnecessary wire or plug-in and see if the HU will behave differently.
If none of these steps are fruitful then you will have to bench check the HU independent of the boat. But the fact you did recent additions is probably more than coincidence. You may find it to be something very simple like the voltage threshold is just too low.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 12-20-2011, 01:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
^ what he said.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the response.
I checked using a multimeter, it was 12v, checked on the fuse also 12v. How do I check for a good ground? Check resistance on the ground wire to the battery? It should be zero? Or just run a new wire?
Ill unplug everything from the HU and check everything out tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:48 AM
MC Devotee

When i got my boat, my head unit stopped working randomly after about 3 days...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 AM
TT Regular

what did you do? Replace it?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Yes, you can check ground continuity by showing zero resistance to the ground reference like the battery.
See if the HU has a reset button.
Also, for a hard reset pull both switched and constant memory 12 volts along with the ground. Let it sit for 10 minutes unhooked so that any capacitors can fully dissipate any stored energy and then re-apply ground BEFORE connecting the 12 volts.
You can also lift the chassis top to check for any previous water damage. A tell tale sign would be any white powdery deposit or build-up. A little tuner wash and a very soft toothbrush can be effective in bringing a unit back.
No promises. Just steps you have to take before concluding its the HU.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

the reset button should be behind the front face plate when u open it to eject the cd also