Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Advice: Modest, cheap stereo upgrade for ProStar

Hey guys,

This thread is populated with lots of hardcore audio systems, but some of us just want to hear our tunes while swimming and over the engine from within the boat...not 100s of feet away

Current setup in my ProStar 195 is a deck and 4 unamplified (crap) speakers.

My current plan is:
Questions I have about this setup:
  • Is that amp under/overpowered for my application?
  • What if I want to add a sub in the future?
  • Any experience with these components?

Thanks for any feedback from you audiophiles out there.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I’m like you – want good sound, but doesn’t need to be “Kyle”good.

I put in a box with a 4 ohm kicker sub in a box and it sounds great. Of course, I dont have any storage space under the observers seat, but i dont need it anyways.

As far as music, if your receiver has a USB, I highly recommend a flash drive full of your music. saves your cell battery, and sound quality will be much better.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
[quote=TxsRiverRat;1006695]
I’m like you – want good sound, but doesn’t need to be “Kyle”good.

"Kyle" good - Is this a Metric, US or some sort of off planet hybrid measurement??

I'm with ya - I'm after quality tunes that don't break the bank. I got lucky with mine; the PO dumped in a new system the summer before he sold to me. Thanks Brandon!!!!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
"Kyle" good - Is this a Metric, US or some sort of off planet hybrid measurement??
Lord, you'd think you were at an amphitheater listening to Kyles stereo... It's the best I ever heard.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
2 things about that amp that would have me keep shopping. Specs are sketchy, but based on the size of the single fuse, im guessing that amps RMS will not be much more then that of your head-unit. So no real benefit. 2) it looks to be full-range only, no selectable cross-over filter.

To go one step further, im not sure it is bridgeable, so no chance to drive a sub with it.

So to answer your ?'s
1) neither really, but will not be any better then the head-unit
2) not with this sub, you will need another
3) Clarion deck is a solid H/U. This in-boats are fine if they fit the boat, budget, like the looks and sound. Amp, well i think we covered that.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: N/A
Clarion HU?....good.
Infinity speakers?....alright. But, consider spending a bit more to get a marine coaxial with a true dome tweeter that is considerably smoother rather than the W-dome used by that Infinity model. A W-dome is efficient and aggressive but also with a very erratic response. A little too harsh for my ears.
Pyle amplifier?....awful! No switching power supply. Just a BTL amplifier similar to a head unit. Totally bogus specs. Step up and get something that is a keeper. You need a three, four or five-channel amplifier if you are certain that you will be adding a subwoofer in the future.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
PYLE PLMRA420 4-Channel 1,000-Watt Waterproof Marine Bridgeable MOSFET Amplifier
http://amzn.com/B00068U9Y8 or PYLE PLMRA620 6 Channel 2000 Watt Waterproof Marine Bridgeable Mosfet Amplifier
http://amzn.com/B000N5T0TE any better? What about Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers
http://amzn.com/B000P0PF9G. They seem to have a full dome tweeter.

Keep in mind I'm a baller on a budget
Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
For what it's worth, I put the Infinity 612's in my Tristar, and I really liked both the sound and the look of them, and the price was right. I powered them with Sound Stream amp, rated at 100 watts per the 4 channels. The speakers loved the power (which was prob realistically 75 watts each). Now that I bought an Xstar, I am stepping up to Wet Sounds XS-650's powered by a Syn 4 . Might as well spend a little xtra.....
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E0EW3ZW

This amp. This is what I'm going to put in. Similar setup. Lots of bike guys put these in there bikes. Seems to get great reviews
Old 01-19-2014, 10:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Soundstream makes a quality product with good pricing. Check out onlinecarstereo.com or sonicelectronix.com for often good deals if you are looking for budget stuff. Lots of reviews to read about the various products as well