Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 XSTAR
What do you NOT like about your X25

If you haven't seen the classifieds, my '04 XSTAR is for sale as I'm looking to upgrade this season to an X25. As it's a lot of money to move to a newer boat I'm curious for you X25 owners what are some items you don't like or would change on your X25's? Anyone wish they would have held on to something they previous owned outside the extra cash?

Last edited by RWB_XSTAR; 01-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
I love my X-25 and so does my crew. The wake is amazing; the boat rides smooth and has a ton of space. It's both a hardcore wake and surf machine, and a fantastic family cruise the lake boat. I've had 12 people on the boat and it didn't feel crowded.

If I had to get a new boat, I'd get another X-25 in a second.

It's not perfect. I have a 2011, and the dash sits high and it's hard to see over top of it. This is fixed in 2012, though I don't have any experience with the 2012 dash to see if the fix for this issue created other ones.

I got the Indmar 5.7. If I had to do it again, I'd get the Ilmor 6.0. When I have the boat fully sacked out with stock ballast and Plug and Play, it can take a bit to get up to plane with the 5.7.

It doesn't handle as well as my old 205V-based X-2. Doesn't get as good fuel consumption either. Oh well, it's a much bigger and heavier boat, so I was expecting it.

Oh, and even with the X-25, I still can't do a 1080.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
@ Eagle, what prop are you running? Maybe you just need to re-prop for a better holeshot.
You could contact Eric@OJPROPS to get his opinion.

threadjack over!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 XSTAR
Thanks for the input,...actually looking at an '11 so the dash is a good point. I can't say I drive my boat looking through the glass much now though when I think about it. Plus was thinking I may tint the windows (if it can be done cheap). Any issues with the screen/cpu? Looking down the road I worry about that and have to say I like my regular gauges.

I agree on the prop, I changed my XSTAR to the factory hi-altitude and it made a dramatic differnece for the whole shot without changing much on the top end.

Last edited by RWB_XSTAR; 01-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 X-25
our 25 is a great boat. We have the 6.0 ilmore and are very happy with the power.

I second the BIG screen in the dash is hard to see over. I have been teachinn our 14 year old son to drive, and he struggles with the ostruction to his vision. This has been corrected in '12. The poer tower tends to loose set points and does appear to be work in progress, but happy with it overall.

It has a good surf wake, but not great out of the box...ballasts goes from ok to excellent.

I would like to see a switch on the transom for the tower. It is very difficlut to put on the cover with the tower down. It is a pain to crawl under the cover to lower the tower in the lift. The do make a remote which is expensive and amother thing to drop in the lake. Putting a switch would take care of this.

I went form the 4 blade factory prop to the new 5 blade and do get better economy.

The camera is ok...HD would be better and I continue to be told a upgrade is coming, but I have been promised this for a year now and VIO still is telling me they still working on it.

I have to agree mid point cleats for bumpers should have been provided... but are now a option in'12 and would be nice. The heater is nice but the pull out vents are down to 1 where '10 had 2.

I don't like the navigation lights back on the sides. they rub on the hydrohoist when docking. If they were a little futher forward they wouldn't be a issue.

Overall very please with the 25.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
@ Eagle, what prop are you running? Maybe you just need to re-prop for a better holeshot.
You could contact Eric@OJPROPS to get his opinion.

threadjack over!
I have the stock prop. Before I bought the boat, I had the dealer put the High Altitude prop on, and I couldn't tell that much of a difference, so I stuck with stock.

The wakeboard wake with full stock ballast is big and meaty. It's a hard wake; there's very little give in it as you ride up it. When I add the PnP ballast, it's scary big. I guess if I wanted it that big more often, I'd play around again with re-propping. I wouldn't be surprised if a different prop would solve the issue, maybe the new 5-blader.

Regarding the height of the dash, if you put up the seat bolster, then you easily see over the top of the dash. But I normally like to drive with the bolster down. We are typically riding early in the morning before work when the air's cold, and I want the windshield to shield the wind

Mid-ship cleats would be nice. I have the regular 4-point tower and never lower it, no need to.

It's an awesome boat. My dealer said it's the best selling model in the Mastercraft line. He was sold out of his full allocation of X-25's last year by June.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB_XSTAR View Post
Thanks for the input,...actually looking at an '11 so the dash is a good point. I can't say I drive my boat looking through the glass much now though when I think about it. Plus was thinking I may tint the windows (if it can be done cheap). Any issues with the screen/cpu? Looking down the road I worry about that and have to say I like my regular gauges.

I agree on the prop, I changed my XSTAR to the factory hi-altitude and it made a dramatic differnece for the whole shot without changing much on the top end.
I haven't had any issues with the BIG screen. The UI on the 2011 BIG is not the world's most intuitive. But it works fine.

With the seat bolster up, you see over the dash so the height then is a non-factor. I, however, usually have the bolster down.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
The only thing I hate is that the handling is a lot worse than the PS197 that my friend has. No surprise there.

I did get the opportunity to drive 2 other X25s last year, and neither of them handled as good as mine..... However neither of those 25s had tracking fins. They really seemed to not want to turn very well, while under throttle. I noticed it mostly in the 25-35mph range and above. They would turn, but it seemed like the boat was fighting itself a bit.

I would highly suggest getting tracking fins on it..... They come standard with the 6.2L. Sounds like you are looking for a used one.... It may be hard to find one with a 6.2l. Although, I do know of a very nice 2011 X25 w/6.2l for sale at my local dealer

It is harder to justify a 6.2 when you are buying new, but it may not make much difference used..... The 6.2 will also be the most fuel efficient, as well as the most powerfull. Although, It is an expensive upcharge when new.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
[quote=Eagle;810514]I have the stock prop. Before I bought the boat, I had the dealer put the High Altitude prop on, and I couldn't tell that much of a difference, so I stuck with stock.

What numbers are on the prop? I could make suggestions since I've tried 3-4 different props on my X-star.
With the MCX you should have no problems with holeshot if you run the correct prop.
Also how much ballast do you run when holeshot suffers?
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
The prop makes a HUGE difference on the 25. We have played around with several and are very please with the upgrade.

DDanenberger, I would have your dealer order you a tower remote. It is awesome and would solve exactly the problem you are having. We had a Parks X-Star with one and I couldn't believe how handy it is. Especially if you are a trailering person.