Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 08-07-2005, 02:02 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
PP - Wakeboard or RPM mode for foiling?

I use Wakeboard Pro 6.5n and hydrofoil at 18 mph in wakeboard mode. I note that sometimes the speed variation is a little problematic - glass vs ripples and on-the-ski vs on-the-foil can sometimes cause some annoying throttle jockeying. Also, those left turns at the end of the lake can bump the speed up noticeably.

What are you guys using for foiling... RPM mode or Wakeboard mode?

Or should I consider changing the KdW? Currently it's set at factory (80). Should I be bumping of the KdW to get more aggressive control response?

Last edited by bigmac; 08-07-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
The older version of PP recommended speed mode for open water slalom. Noticed the same thing you're seeing and use rpm mode for open water slalom now. Give rpm mode a try.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:07 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
Are you talking "Air Chair?" If so it may be the skiers weight is off. There is hardly any resistance with the foil, I believe. How does it feel to the boat when you tow one of those? If the boat is expecting 200 lbs and it really is getting 150 lbs that could be your problem. You may lower the skiers weight settings (if applicable). Obviously others have had this problem. I run into a similar experience changing wakers with my Accuski but leaving skiers/wakers weight the same (I am 190 and my buddy is 155). The thing rockets up at pullup and through/after turns.

Last edited by Hoosier Bob; 08-07-2005 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
Are you talking "Air Chair?" If so it may be the skiers weight is off. There is hardly any resistance with the foil, I believe. How does it feel to the boat when you tow one of those? If the boat is expecting 200 lbs and it really is getting 150 lbs that could be your problem. You may lower the skiers weight settings (if applicable). Obviously others have had this problem. I run into a similar experience changing wakers with my Accuski but leaving skiers weight the same. The thing rockets up at pullup and through/after turns.
there is no skier weight option in the modes he is talking about.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:13 PM
MC Platinum

My bad, thanks tool! I have to set everything for the Accuski. I even bump the crew weight a touch for the bimini. PP must factor a lot in already. Not to get off track but how does the PP factor in head wind, crew weight and skier weight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2
there is no skier weight option in the modes he is talking about.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
MC Hero

You have separate settings in slalom mode for crew weight, head wind, and skier weight.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
You have separate settings in slalom mode for crew weight, head wind, and skier weight.
Perfect Pass Digital Pro has those options but I'm using Wakeboard Pro and those adjustments don't apply.

I'll try RPM mode, but I'm wondering if maybe bumping the KdW might not solve my problem - more aggressive throttle management and bumping the NN for more paddlwheel sampling.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:22 PM
MC Platinum

Review the instructions and see if any apply to low resistance or lower weight skiers. I don't know and am no expert but I still believe that the thing (AIR CHAIR) you are speaking of creates alot less resistance than a ski or anything else with a larger wetted surface area. I could as always be wrong! You may just need to find an RPM that functions at all weights. This may be tough as an AIR CHAIR can create no or a ton of resistance. You may have to use the force my friend and go it alone blindfolded without the use of the PP!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:32 AM
MC Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Bob
Review the instructions and see if any apply to low resistance or lower weight skiers. I don't know and am no expert but I still believe that the thing (AIR CHAIR) you are speaking of creates alot less resistance than a ski or anything else with a larger wetted surface area. I could as always be wrong! You may just need to find an RPM that functions at all weights. This may be tough as an AIR CHAIR can create no or a ton of resistance. You may have to use the force my friend and go it alone blindfolded without the use of the PP!
Well, the speed variation isn't a deal-breaker. It's just occasionally annoying. Sometimes if I go from an area of glass to an area of light chop or ripples, the boat speed will jump up about 1 mph or so and WP will then chop the throttle a little to get the speed back down, which in turn might give a little slack in the rope. Those little episodes are a problem in newbie-level hydrofoiling (me) because it can set off a little chain of events between arm position and body position that makes controlling that third dimension problematic. Using The Force for throttle management is a good suggestion, but to be honest, I was more concerned about the drivers that pull me - The Force is not as strong in them. I'll give RPM mode a try.

As noted, there's less resistance, therefore not as much pull variation with an Air Chair as there is with a slalom skier or wakeboarder, so I'm kind of at a loss to know how to change the Wakeboard Pro sampling or throttle aggressiveness. I suspect that that may represent the best solution in the end.

Last edited by bigmac; 08-08-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Perfect Pass Digital Pro has those options but I'm using Wakeboard Pro and those adjustments don't apply.

I'll try RPM mode, but I'm wondering if maybe bumping the KdW might not solve my problem - more aggressive throttle management and bumping the NN for more paddlwheel sampling.
If that's like KX factor, then it will put a little more pull into it. RPM mode is just simpler it seems. Figure out what rpm baseline you need, plug it in and go. If it's too fast/slow, you can arrow up or down to correct it while you're underway.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club