Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-30-2011, 05:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
The end to end measurement doesnt mean much... there can be a decent amount of variation on how long the threads are. I would push to have them size it based on the distance you have from the tranny coupler and the end of the strut. Add 1/2" of clearance between the strut and prop hub.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Skier 1983 PCM 351
Thanks for all the help guys. I found a prop on Ski It Again for $125 and another on eBay for $50! SkiDim is sending shaft, strut bearings and a few other things I needed. 12% off using PEACE as the promo code before the end of the year. Writeup to follow next month.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
you found a prop on ebay for 50? thats a good deal......
Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 AM
TT Newbie

I'm having issues removing the strut to replace the bearings. It must be glued to the hull, appears to be silicone. Anybody have any experience removing a stuck strut?

I'm torn between leaving it on there and buying the bearing tool to take care of this instead of trying to pry it or twist it off to get it to a press. Any advice?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
could you use a piece of all thread and some sockets to make you own bearing puller instead of removing the struts?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 AM
TT Newbie

I probably could, I'm just a little concerned about the force required to pull both bearings out at once. I expected the strut to just fall once the screws were out. The bearings are actually in good shape, but with the new shaft, I hoped to switch to the new style plastic bearings instead of the brass/rubber ones. I could even just leave the existing ones...just hate to pass up the opportunity while the shaft is out.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '92 Maristar 240SC BB 454
Send a message via Skype™ to psychobilly
To remove the cutlass bearings ("strut bearings") you need to pull the shaft, which you have done. Then take a hack saw blade and stick it through the middle and cut the bearing taking care not to cut into the strut. After you cut through it use a screw driver to pry one side of it up. It sould free it up and come out. You can stick the blade through and then put the hack saw back together and cut away.

Name:  CutlessBearing.gif
Views: 210
Size:  10.0 KB

Make sure you clean up the ID of the strut real good with some emery cloth but don't take too much meat out.

An install tip is to put the new bearing or bearings, if they are two piece, in the freezer for a few hours. This will cause the material to shrink and it should slide right in to the strut.

Hope this is what you needed.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis351 View Post
I'm having issues removing the strut to replace the bearings. It must be glued to the hull, appears to be silicone. Anybody have any experience removing a stuck strut?

I'm torn between leaving it on there and buying the bearing tool to take care of this instead of trying to pry it or twist it off to get it to a press. Any advice?
I wouldn't panic just yet about the bushings. I thought I had to press mine out but I sprayed them down with some liquid wrench and let it soak in for a while. I took an extension for a 1/2 ratchet and tapped both of mine out with no problem. The strut is stuck to the hull with adhesive and you will get many different suggestions as the best way to remove it. You should be able to insert the end of your old shaft into the strut and give it a yank. You want to seal up the new strut as well to keep water from entering from the bolt holes.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 AM
MC Fanatic

travis 351, did you get it????????

BUMP..........

Last edited by psychobilly; 02-05-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Bump thread to see what Travis has done.......
Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Travis, did you ever get these out????

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.118237,-95.468008
Attached Images

Tags
driveshaft, length, shear