Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-08-2012, 11:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 MC 209 Sammy Duvall 330
Fuel Pump or electrical circuit?

I have an 02 PS209SD with the LTR 330@575hrs. The wife and Fam had the boat out Sunday. Of course I could not be with them. I get a call that they had run out of gas and was putting gas in to get it started to power onto the trailer. Later they said the boat would never start. I get home and begin to diagnose. I check the kill switch(that I have removed from the side panel and have secured under the dash. I Reset it. Turn the key to see if the fuel pump is pressurizing the fuel rail. NEGATIVE. The fuel pump is not filling the fuel rail. No sound at all. Where is my problem? If it was run out of gas, could the fuel system be air locked or does this sound like a true fuel pump issue.

Thanks,
Dawg
Old 05-08-2012, 11:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Naw. LTR's have a fuel loop. The system is pressurized and regulated via the return line into the tank. Are your gauges working? Try the main circuit breaker at the ecu....
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 AM
TT Newbie

are you refering to the main 50a breaker at the rear of the engine?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:28 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Brand new 01 X10
Yes...
Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks B, I have just got home from out of town and will be going over it this eve. I will get back to the forum tonight either with good news or more questions.
Thanks,
Dawg
Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM
TT Newbie

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer the other things you mentioned. New sending unit last year, Gauges work fine, never any problems out of fuel delivery and we run the soup out of this boat every year and it runs great.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
Dawg - I had a similar problem last august, it turned out to be the wire connector to the pump, it had corroded a bit for such a high moisture environment which caused a bad connection. If you have a volt meter you can do a test. Pull the floor out of the truck undo the wire connector to the pump check to see if you have voltage - you'll need to have the key in the run position. With the key in the on position you should have 12-14 volts constantly. If you have power, reconnect disconnect and reconnect the plugs a few times. This should reseat the pins giving a better connection. If the pump still doesn't pressurize the system then check out some of the fuel pump forums. Under normal operation with the key in the on position but the boat not running the pump should pressurize the system then shut off. With a running engine the pump runs constantly.

If you want you can clean the contacts but do not use "Contact Cleaner" it leaves a residue that is conductive. The new recommendation from technicians is to use ether and a brush to clean electrical connections.

I had to do this with all the connectors in my boat which solved the issue with intermittent gauges. It is no fun being on the river without temperature or oil pressure gauges.

PM me if you need more instructions.

Last edited by CCAnderson; 05-10-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
A can of starting fluid is a cheap tool. Spray some in the intake and crank, if it fires and dies you aren't getting fuel. If it doesn't fire, you aren't getting spark.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks brothers,
I got home tonight, got to the fuel pump, check that all the connectors were secure. I turn the the key to run and get nothing. the gauges cycle and register. check engine light comes on as usual upon initiating start, and nothing. no sound, no click or ticks. Fuel pump is not presurizing the fuel rail. checked all circuits, connections and nothing is tripped or loose. Tomorrow i will clean pump connections and check voltage. not having that pump charge up when the key is turned points right at voltage or pump failure. so thanks again. I will keep you posted.
Dawg