Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft MariStar 210 VRS
I love my 2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax T-Force Edition, Bought it when I lived in San Antonio, Watched it get assembled and picked it out.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 190 PS View Post
[b][color=black][font=Tahoma]We’ve all heard someone say that you shouldn’t buy a Toyota because...
First, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. I'm not going to feel bad about saying "thanks for buying American".

I'm happy that Toyota assembles the Tundra in the USA. I welcome their investment in the US. What about Nissan, KIA, Lexus, BMW, VW... And, just because they have part of their operation in the US does not make them a God send. I would also like to see the components manufactured here. Does the steel come from a US based steel plant? Are the design engineers sitting in the US? It's that money that makes a difference. I don't care where the "profits" end up because that is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue. I think I understand the global economy fairly well. I'm also aware that many of the components in American made cars are made off shore. As you referenced, most of our electronics are manufactured off shore. That supports my argument - not enough manufacturing done on US soil. Companies have in the past off-shored many of the jobs for increased profits - yes a real shocker that we are talking about US based companies. The company I work for has done so. First it was call desk type workers to India. Then the software engineering jobs started to move as well. And it keeps going. Who cares who the stock holders are because as noted profits are a small part of the pie. Actually, you and I most likely own some Toyota stock so we ourselves are investors.

Yep, Toyota invested 1.2 billion in the San Antonio plant. Toyota had roughly $250 billion in revenue in 2011. Hopefully my Yen to Dollar conversion did not go horribly wrong.

My first car, 29 years ago, was foreign made. Every one after has been one of the big three. I'm not ashamed of that (well maybe the first car) and you can call me a hypocrite if you like (maybe that was because you just cut-n-pasted the text); after all a free county and doing so is not a crime. I love my Expedition. I like my Lincoln (unfortunately it is part Jaguar - I knew that when I bought it). I love my GM small block sitting in my boat. Yep, lots of the parts on these come from off shore - unfortunate.

Something tells me that a lot of people out there want more jobs moved back on-shore. Especially many of the currently unemployed.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hold it against someone for buying a foreign made car. I'm sure Tundra's are nice trucks and that their owners love them as well. It is a global economy. The best way for that to change is better quality and more investment into US soil.

I love my Ford. And by the way, from http://www.cars.com/go/about/us.jsp?...&date=20080703 referenced from your cut-n-paste from Tundraheadquarters.com:
Ford F-150 Claims Top Spot for Fifth Time
Chicago—July 3, 2008—With the Fourth of July upon us, Cars.com has unveiled its semiannual American-Made Index, which ranks the most-American vehicles based on percentage (by cost) of parts made domestically, location of vehicle assembly and how popular each car is with U.S. buyers. For the fifth time in a row, Ford's F-150 has claimed the top spot on the list.
So again, I will say "thanks for buying American"

So off the thread-jack.... at least for me...

I wonder if I show my wife one of those if she would buy it. It's worth a shot. I wonder how many of us will be taking our wives out vehicle shoping this weekend hoping it works for us as well.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 WTT ProStar 197
GoneBoatN,
You are using old data.

Here is a more current list: http://www.cnbc.com/id/43562127/The_...ars_and_Trucks

Here is an interesting page I found that really makes this subject clear as mud: http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...txt?viewmode=2
Old 12-01-2011, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 245ss/2005/Crusader 6.0
Is this what we consider Made in the USA

Oshawa Car Assembly is a major manufacturing facility in the city of Oshawa, Ontario, Canada building various automobiles for General Motors Canada. The factory is one of the largest auto plants in the world and has won a number of awards. The plant is part of the larger GM Autoplex, which includes the now closed Oshawa Truck Assembly.
Current products include the Chevrolet Impala, Chevrolet Camaro and Chevrolet Equinox. The Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Pontiac Grand Prix were discontinued in June and November 2007 respectively. The Buick LaCrosse was discontinued from Oshawa #2 in 2008 and moved to Fairfax Assembly for 2009. In the fourth quarter of that year, it began producing the new Chevrolet Camaro. It has been announced that the Oshawa plant may build the 2012 Cadillac XTS. The Buick Regal will launch on the flex line in 2011, along with the Camaro Convertible.

In August 2010, the plant began producing the Chevrolet Equinox in partnership with another GM facility in Ingersoll Ontario, known as CAMI Automotive. The metal bodies are made at CAMI, trucked two hours east to Oshawa, where they are inserted on the conveyor just before the paint shop. The bodies are painted and then go through the general assembly process at the Oshawa plant. The entire process was developed as quick way to respond to high demand for the Equinox product. The CAMI facility does make Equinox and GMC Terrain from start to finish at their own plant, but they did not have the capacity to put more bodies through paint and general assembly.

Toyota is more American than most Chevies BUY FORD THOUGH
Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
GoneBoatN,
You are using old data.

Here is a more current list: http://www.cnbc.com/id/43562127/The_...ars_and_Trucks

Here is an interesting page I found that really makes this subject clear as mud: http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...txt?viewmode=2
Clear as mud but clear enough that I eat crow. (at myself). Thanks for the information. A learning experience. Next time I'm in the market for a vehicle it may not be the one I would have thought previously.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Clear as mud but clear enough that I eat crow. (at myself). Thanks for the information. A learning experience. Next time I'm in the market for a vehicle it may not be the one I would have thought previously.
In this new day and age of the truly global economy, buy what you want and what you like. In working for a major corporation, it's hard to tell via disclosures where all of the revenue comes from, where all of the product supply is initiated from, etc. I've learned not to always rely on the "trusted" sources as being accurate.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 WTT ProStar 197
Now you have more options than you thought. I just purchased a F350 over the summer and its the best truck I have ever driven. But, it erks me knowing that Ford is building this new Diesel motor in Mexico.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500 MC View Post
In this new day and age of the truly global economy, buy what you want and what you like. In working for a major corporation, it's hard to tell via disclosures where all of the revenue comes from, where all of the product supply is initiated from, etc. I've learned not to always rely on the "trusted" sources as being accurate.
It was my one last ditch effort to buy american. And by that my major concern is jobs... Seems like everything else (electronics, clothes and even food) are from off shore, no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan View Post
Now you have more options than you thought. I just purchased a F350 over the summer and its the best truck I have ever driven. But, it erks me knowing that Ford is building this new Diesel motor in Mexico.
I was dreaming of one of these in the future - http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/ford-...250-pickup.htm. Ford F-250 Super Chief Tri-Flex Fuel Truck.