Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-21-2011, 11:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: nautique and hopefully xstar soon
NVS speakers? any of you have them?

Hey im looking into purchasing NVS speakers, a few boats up here in southwest pa have them and they are super loud. just wondering if any of you guys have them and what your opinion of them is.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18 Engine
I have the NVS Tyrants and absolutely LOVE them. They are incredibly clear and reproduce mid-bass and high tones the best of any pro audio speaker i've heard. Most to me sound like transistor radios with alot of high notes and not much in the mid-bass frequency. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 x star. 6.0l
I have em. One pair of Modus and one pair of prodigys using zapco amps. They are the loudest clean sounding speaker there is. I know wetsounds are very good and popular but my buddy's Tom cat
With the pro 80's and 60's doesn't stand a chance
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Friend has the old NVS pod, super loud and clear.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I don't see them very often. In the TN/AL area where I am, I bet the wet sounds/nvs ratio is 25:1. It seems like they are more popular on the west coast.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
The NVS have been through multiple revisions so the experience may depend on the particular version that you have heard. I auditioned the last several versions of the top of the line NVS model. Here is what I can say about the latest version. Incredible output and striking midbass. Smooth and warm for near field listening. Not quite aggressive enough on the upper treble end for listening at 80 feet with alot of noise competition which is entirely different from near field listening. They required ALOT of power to reach their potential.

As mentioned above, comparing the Wetsounds Pro series to the NVS in the scenerio described isn't very revealing. Mixing a larger Pro80 with a smaller Pro60 on the same tower is nuts. There is such a difference in output and range that all you are really hearing is the Pro80 which means its also a major waste of power and investment. There is little doubt that a design like that has many other inherent flaws so you may be hearing the effects of both poor design AND poor execution. The Pro series is first generation and old news. The new Wetsounds REV series is a whole new ballgame. I'm not going to make a direct NVS to Wetsounds comparison but if you are going to enter Wetsounds into the conversation then use the current product. I would recommend listening to both products in person. And try your best to get a fair sample of each.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Nvs is another top notch company with top notch speakers. They are a smaller company that doesn't sell out of many retail establishments like Wetsounds does. Duwayne over there is top notch and their customer service is absolutely incredible. As far as a comparison as to which is a better speaker Wetsounds or NVS it boils down to your ears and what you prefer in a speaker. Both are high quality. Two peaople I ride with have NVS. One has a single Prodigy(2 speakers) and the
other a pair of the latest Deviants. David is right on with his comparison, while we all know he would be of course, but just adding to it. The Deviants really need power and pretty much need to hit hard to get back crisp at 85ft on my buddys Nautique. For me in a smaller, private lake area setting this was a huge issue. I would argue until the Rev Series came out NVS had the truest sounding horns on the market along with providing some of the best midbass from a tower speaker.

Like David mentioned, you brought up Wetsounds. I am probably one of the only people who prefer my old Pro 80's to the new Rev 8's. Hence selling my Rev 8's after the police recovered my old pro 80's. For me I was not concerned about the sound quality inside the cabin or the in that area while sitting at a sandbar or chilling as I am rarely in that situation. My tower speakers are only on while I am riding. I found that the Pro 80's didn't produce nearly as much sound in the cockpit area while at the same volume levels around 80ft. THis was a huge selling point for me.

While the Rev 8's are no doubt a much truer, warmer sounding speaker and pack a huge midbass punch while listening to them in a party cove, chill standpoint, the 80's edged them out in crispness for me at 80ft. The Rev 8's are amazing when thumping without a doubt and blow the 80's away in that respect by not having such a harsh sounding horn close up. However the 80's allowed the volume levels for the driver and passengers to not be hammered from just the tower speakers running inside the cabin. I don't know why and don't know how, but running the same Syn 4 to both this was the case that I experienced and why I chose to keep my Pro 80's instead of teh Rev 8's. Again I am about the only one it seems that went this route, but for a specific reason to keep the excess sounds in the boat down for my wife and little ones.

Last edited by swatguy; 11-22-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
The NVS have been through multiple revisions so the experience may depend on the particular version that you have heard. I auditioned the last several versions of the top of the line NVS model. Here is what I can say about the latest version. Incredible output and striking midbass. Smooth and warm for near field listening. Not quite aggressive enough on the upper treble end for listening at 80 feet with alot of noise competition which is entirely different from near field listening. They required ALOT of power to reach their potential.

As mentioned above, comparing the Wetsounds Pro series to the NVS in the scenerio described isn't very revealing. Mixing a larger Pro80 with a smaller Pro60 on the same tower is nuts. There is such a difference in output and range that all you are really hearing is the Pro80 which means its also a major waste of power and investment. There is little doubt that a design like that has many other inherent flaws so you may be hearing the effects of both poor design AND poor execution. The Pro series is first generation and old news. The new Wetsounds REV series is a whole new ballgame. I'm not going to make a direct NVS to Wetsounds comparison but if you are going to enter Wetsounds into the conversation then use the current product. I would recommend listening to both products in person. And try your best to get a fair sample of each.

David
Earmark Marine
I pm you ... help me =P
Old 11-22-2011, 11:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
I realize that this is and was an NVS thread until Wetsounds was introduced but I wanted to address what Swatguy said about the REV8 to Pro80 comparison.
The REV8 is in a much smaller pod than the Pro80 while the REV10 10-inch and Pro80 8-inch share the same pod displacement. Not apples to apples.
In the history of all speakers whether home or car or other, the better damped and more linear ('linear' denoting less deviation) speaker, which would be the REV8 in this case, is always going to sacrifice a bit of peak output. So even though the REV8 and Pro80 are both 8-inch HLCDs, the larger Pro80 is going to be louder in respect to peaks and certainly in raw treble. However, that is just the peak and not the average or weighted output. From a musical standpoint the REV8 is incredibly accurate from a purist perspective and therefore is an amazing near field speaker that being an HLCD will also certainly project. The Pro80 is unbridled and has a lot of extra treble aggresiveness that is useful at 80 feet in the face of distance, engine noise, wind, turbulence and other issues.
The REV10 with the larger driver and larger pod has more output, greater midbass extension and shares the newer REV focus on sound quality.
Again, all strictly Wetsounds to Wetsounds comparisons.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 x star. 6.0l
I agree with what you said about the pro 80's and 60's being a bad idea because the 80 will override the 60 but doesn't wetsounds sell that as a package like double up or something like that? I never said nvs were better than wetsounds I'm not gonna start that argument I was just stating facts of what I know. My buddys the only person I know with wetsounds that I've been around.