Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
What do you guys with contacts do to keep them in your eyes?

While waterskiing of course. I wear a contact in one eye (have 20/20 vision in the other one lol) and I've always wanted to learn to slalom ski. I can't go without the contact b/c I'll have no depth perception, and I can't wear glasses to correct my particular vision problem (not that those would work for skiing either). I'm sure at least some of you have vision issues -- just curious what you guys do. It's a very expensive contact lens so it's not really something I feel like risking a loss on.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 PM

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to pram
I skied with contacts for 15 or 16 years and never lost one

you could always have eye surgery on the one eye?

MONKEY FACE
Old 10-25-2011, 05:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes
There have been many a time that I have tried to ski with contacts in and one either come out or start to come out. When that happens, I usually would grap it out and stick it in my mouth until the session was over, oftentimes while still holding onto the rope. In either event, I found the solution was Lasik surgery for me. Best thing I ever did. If you are a candidate, I would highly recommend it. FOR ME - procedure was simple and corrected vision to a little greater than 20/20. Not everyone has those results however. Hope you find a solution b/c I know how annoying that is.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

As far as I know, no surgery available for my problem (karytoconus edit: keratoconus, you'd think I could spell it after having it for 16 years lol). My insurance will only buy 2 lenses per year (they cost about 400 each). If I was a really good skier already, I probably wouldn't worry as much (b/c I wouldn't fall as much hehe), but I'm definitely going to be on the steep part of the learning curve at first and I foresee eating a big facefull of water from time to time.

Just so you know where my skill level is, I've been up on doubles a few times behind a few different boats (one of them was a late 80s PS190, which was by far the easiest to get up behind) but the only time I tried a single I just couldn't get out of the water with it. So I've got a lot to learn lol, and I don't know enough to know the risk of losing the contact.

Last edited by strad; 10-25-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Maristar 225 VRS, LT1
Been skiing with contacts, both hard and soft, since the mid 70's. Never lost one, but I try to remember to close my eyes before I hit the water. One of my brothers wears goggles made for racket (sp) ball and has no problems. He uses rain X on the goggles.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star
I found some dailies that fit really well and I have never lost one. Plus if I do its no loss since they're so cheap. I'm guessing though that dailies are not an option for you?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:19 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
my son wears disposables..and keeps extra in the boat... lol... on the closing eyes advice...sometimes could be tough when crossing the wake when skiing at 33 miles an hour and crossing the wake 50+ miles per hour...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Yeah dailies are not an option. The lens has a soft skirt and a hard center -- works by compressing the cone (of keratoconus) so the center has to be hard to do that. I literally go from 20/400 to 20/40 with zero correction on the lens, just by putting the lens on. And with a small amount of correction I'm nearly at 20/20. And the skirt has the be soft otherwise it's super uncomfortable.

I guess I should look into the raquetball goggles and rain-x. That sounded like it might be a good solution.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 TriStar 190
I've been skiing with contacts since the mid 70s and I have never even come close to loosing one.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
I have been skiing with contacts for about 12 years. Never lost one until about 2 years ago. Lost the right eye lens, then a week later lost the left lens. Both were after falling around 1 ball, 34 mph, 28 off I think. Did a bit of a face plant, but I've had much worse OTF's and footing falls where I didn't lose them. I looked around in the water a bit, I would guess they are 6" apart at the bottom of the lake. Driving home was interesting, but my vision is not too bad. At the time I was wearing soft lenses that were supposed to last a year, they were both getting close to 2 years old, so they were likely getting worn out & loose. I recently switched to monthly lenses, got a year's supply for the price of the old 1 year lenses. Doc said if I lose one early in a month, just wear the next one for 2 months.
Occasionally I'll get a little spash in the face while getting up, usually I can clear it out before I need to pull out for the gates. I have been getting better at getting up with my eyes closed, and "using the force" to stay balanced.
I have tried the goggles, water does tend to bead up on them a bit, even with rain X.
Good luck,
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far

Last edited by Kevin 89MC; 10-26-2011 at 01:56 PM.