Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
Steering Wheel replacement finishes dashboard refurb

Got the week off, and added the steering wheel to match up with the refurbished dashboard. So outside of installing the Loran depth gauge and Alpine stereo and amp, at least this is done and it looks great.
Steering wheel came from Foreversharp (website), very easy install since you can order pretty much any wheel and the Grant/Momo adaptor and use your existing spline hub. Not expensive, and not as nice as a Grant wheel, but good enough and looks really good with the burl dash panels.
Attached Images

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 LT-1/Powerslot
looks great!
Old 08-07-2012, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
Amazing! Great vision Jeffer! The dash and steering wheel look fantastic...as does everything else you've done. I'm usually a fan of keeping things original, but you're work is outstanding.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190 LT1
Looks awesome! You've done a fantastic job.

1*
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99' Sportstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
Now I wanted to update the old look of the dash panels, and really didnít want to just paint them. I searched on the web for a company that could give them a new look, and I found Tecnografic in Florida (search them). I had written to them, and Marc responded and at my request sent me a sample of a carbon fiber panel that I was thinking of after looking at the website. It came pretty fast, and I realized that with my interior colors and new gauge colors, the carbon fiber just didnít look right, so I had them do it in Maserati Burl. They can silkscreen labels, and I had that done for the engine and transmission warning lights, but I replaced all the switches with labeled ones so I didnít need those panels silkscreened. The panels came back fast and an absolutely amazing job was done! Iím not sure exactly what the process is that they use, but Iíll attach a picture to show the quality of the returned panel even at the edges. Once installed, they look great coupled with all new Teleflex gauges and Carling switches, as you can see. I have a new wheel on order that closely matches the burlwood look, and I canít wait to get that installed, along with a depth gauge thatís sitting on my bench waiting for a location TBD.
Wow that looks super clean! I need a dash spruce up like that. Where did you find the new style switches?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hey guys - thanks. I am typically a fan of keeping things "stock", but it really needed a refresh on the dash, especially, and I must like it because I keep looking at it while I'm pulling!
The best place I found for the Contura rocker switches was www.newwiremarine.com. They had everything I needed, we're great to work with, were great pricing, and shipped fast. To be perfectly honest, the main reason I did that was because silk-screening the dash labels was about $200 more, and they would need some type of label. They were looking old anyway, so I killed 2 birds and saved money doing it...I didn't need mounting panels for the switches, by the way, they fit perfectly.

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Last edited by Jeffer; 09-12-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Jeffer - thanks for the documentation and leg work and sharing all the resources. I was going to find an older boat than my '95 to restore. But after seeing what you did, I think will draft out a plan just to do mine. If my dash looked like yours I would be also looking at it while I was towing.

Very nice work.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks mgorczak1! That's a solid compliment. You'll have to post it!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC, Prostar 205v, 2000, Indmar 5.7
upholstery replacement

Can you give me contact information for "Copycats" to get a quote on upholstery replacement for 2000 prostar 205v
Thanks ray-man
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
jeffer, let me know how yours turns out if you go that route. I re-did mine over the winter. It was all cracked up in spots so I had to reinforce some spots with some fiberglass, bondo, and then repaint it. It looks good, but overall the plastic is getting brittle. Would love to hear about what this company your working with can do for you!

Pic for reference -
looks great

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine