Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft Pro Star 190 LT-1/Powerslot
This boat looks awesome! I would never have thought to do the interior in that color scheme, but it turned out really nice. Love the dash panels and swim platform! Well done.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
great looking projects!

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 07-09-2012, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 78 S&S, 04 Pro 209
Sure Looks Great. Love the colors - and what a Dash.

I missed the details somewhere on the makeover of the swim platform-
The source for the material used -
And what was used to repair the chipped out area - I assume epoxy.
Then Painted with Epoxy? I have a second MC, an older S&S in makeover mode.

Thought I'd throw out a tip - for making new battery cables look better than factory crimp.
For the heavy welding cable - which is the best cable in natural heavy duty rubber jacket -
I modified an old pair of bolt cutters.
Grinding a formed hole in the jaws works better than a $350 crimper.
There's enough space on the jaws to make 2 sizes needed - or making a two step crimp.

Last edited by Philscbx; 07-09-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
Hey Philscbx - on the swim platform I used fiberglass to fill the cracks/breaks and sanded first with a wheel, then by hand and fine paper. I painted with auto epoxy (white) and didn't worry too much about the color match since the SeaDek pad covered most of the surface area anyway and it was only the edges you see that were exposed.

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."
Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hey Dylan - we are in Big Bear pretty close to every weekend (except kid's basketball games) through the winter skiing, and try to get there almost as much come summertime for the lake. It's ok, fairly weedy, but very good weekdays and mornings/evenings for a pull (see picture, but I'm alone this particular evening otherwise someone would be back there ). Weekend mid-day is pretty rough so good for pulling the kids on the tube. Thanks for the SD invite, rarely there to be honest. I have not taken my boat out of BB even though I'd love to do the Havasu trip as I have friends that vacation there every summer.
Attached Images

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
Hey Dylan - we are in Big Bear pretty close to every weekend (except kid's basketball games) through the winter skiing, and try to get there almost as much come summertime for the lake. It's ok, fairly weedy, but very good weekdays and mornings/evenings for a pull (see picture, but I'm alone this particular evening otherwise someone would be back there ). Weekend mid-day is pretty rough so good for pulling the kids on the tube. Thanks for the SD invite, rarely there to be honest. I have not taken my boat out of BB even though I'd love to do the Havasu trip as I have friends that vacation there every summer.
Great project! And the results look great. I've made a few engine cover vents/drinkholders for a few people on here, and thought you might like to see one. With the wood I use, and the interior color you have, it would be BEAUTIFUL! I think this would make a great addition to your boat.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2012, 01:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hey Skidog, that's pretty cool! Actually, I am right in the middle of working on that piece, it was old and beat up and I refurbished it once but did not like the way it came out and I'm taking another shot at it, to be honest. I actually had measured it out for a possible wood replacement, then thought about making it out of aluminum and sending it to the same guys that did my dash panels and have them do the same burl, and install my Alpine remote into it too. Yours does look good, I will admit!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

jeffer, let me know how yours turns out if you go that route. I re-did mine over the winter. It was all cracked up in spots so I had to reinforce some spots with some fiberglass, bondo, and then repaint it. It looks good, but overall the plastic is getting brittle. Would love to hear about what this company your working with can do for you!

Pic for reference -
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

I tried painting mine with plastic patio furniture paint, but the vinyl covering caused the paint to never get 100% dry, it stayed slightly sticky to the touch. So Mattb, how did you get that to work? It looks like you took that vinyl off maybe?

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
I tried painting mine with plastic patio furniture paint, but the vinyl covering caused the paint to never get 100% dry, it stayed slightly sticky to the touch. So Mattb, how did you get that to work? It looks like you took that vinyl off maybe?
Luckily, the previous owner did the hard work of getting all the old vinyl residue off. I'm really not sure how he accomplished this. Duplicolor makes a vinyl-specific paint that would probably work perfect for this application.