Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-17-2012, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
Time for the fiberglass swim platform repair

Not sure what the former owner was thinking, but all the screws pulled from the brackets so he put some random welcome mat pad on the platform, then drilled holes through the fiberglass and into the brackets. On top of that, there were many dock dings in the corners and edges - pretty much everything you'd expect from a 1996.
So I started the project by removing the brackets and repainting them, then removing the pad with a scraper and using gel coat repair for the bashed corners. I wet sanded the areas and sprayed them white (I did not need to cover the center section since I was replacing the pad). I ordered a template kit from Seadek and drew out what I wanted, sent it back along with my color choices (to match the new interior). While I was waiting, I reused the existing bolts into the old brackets, but set them deeper on top and leveled the top with gel coat as well.
Once the pad came (that took about 5 weeks), I watched their easy-to-follow video instructions to clean and apply it, and got a great-looking finished platform. The pad was $220 (you get a credit for the template once you order your pad). I'd have preferred a teak one, but I'm keeping what I got. Next projects are the bimini top canvas replacement and the dash/gauges, which I'll post as well.
Attached Images

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

1996 Prostar Dashboard repair

So in my on-going effort to post (as a thanks for everyone's help to me) and help others, here's some work I did on my dashboard. When I purchased the boat, a few of the dash panel star nuts for the screws had pulled out of the rubberized dash itself (particularly on the speedo/tach panel). as you can see in the photo. I tried searching the forum for anyone that had repaired this as I figured it had to be a common issue. Also, the plastic hold-down strips on the leading edge of the dash were both broken, so the part of the dash closest to the windshield lifted up and down. If you haven't removed the dash, it's not hard but takes time. After removing the panels (label everything!) there are a couple screws on either side of the inside dash itself screwed into the fiberglass, and the steering wheel and teleflex steering assembly has to be removed from the dash as there are three screws through the tilt wheel assembly that hold the dash to the boat. Also there are two screws up under the leading edge of the dash.
Attached Images

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

For the holes completely broken out, I cut pieces of a DVD case (roughly the same thickness of the dash) and PC7 epoxy'ed them into place after drilling a hole and setting the star nuts (I had them all, still stuck on the dash panel screws) into the holes and aligning them. After the epoxy dried, I cut pieces of fiberglass cloth and glassed them on the backside to further strengthen them (I thought I had taken pictures of that, but hadn't). Also, I cut strips of thick gasket material and Gorilla Glued them to the portions of the dash where the forward attachment pieces were, then laid fiberglass cloth and fiberglass over the glued section. This gave me a flexible "bracket" to attach to the inside of the dash to strengthen the mounting at the front edge of the dash.
Attached Images

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

1996 Prostar Dash Panel Replacement

Now I wanted to update the old look of the dash panels, and really didnít want to just paint them. I searched on the web for a company that could give them a new look, and I found Tecnografic in Florida (search them). I had written to them, and Marc responded and at my request sent me a sample of a carbon fiber panel that I was thinking of after looking at the website. It came pretty fast, and I realized that with my interior colors and new gauge colors, the carbon fiber just didnít look right, so I had them do it in Maserati Burl. They can silkscreen labels, and I had that done for the engine and transmission warning lights, but I replaced all the switches with labeled ones so I didnít need those panels silkscreened. The panels came back fast and an absolutely amazing job was done! Iím not sure exactly what the process is that they use, but Iíll attach a picture to show the quality of the returned panel even at the edges. Once installed, they look great coupled with all new Teleflex gauges and Carling switches, as you can see. I have a new wheel on order that closely matches the burlwood look, and I canít wait to get that installed, along with a depth gauge thatís sitting on my bench waiting for a location TBD.
Attached Images

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-05-2012, 09:07 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
nice.... very nice...

did you use the original star nuts? tried finding those but no luck - do they have a different name?

Last edited by mikeg205; 07-05-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
nice.... very nice...

did you use the original star nuts? tried finding those but no luck - do they have a different name?
I found an alternate solution to the inserts of which you have inquired. It is a common expandable/compressable rubber grommet type insert that I found at the local hardware store. Worked very well for me on a 93 dash...same situation....

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 07-05-2012, 09:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

I used the original star nuts and just epoxy'ed them back in place. I like the expandable compressable idea, though, Cloaked. There was so much broken out of my dash that I figured I'd have to rebuild the hole anyway. Time will tell if it's a solid-enough fix to withstand some bumpy water days. If it doesn't, I'll be posting another attempt NEXT winter!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Thanks cloaked and jeffer...I planning a dash refurb in the near future...was going to do it this year but would have to replace all switches...the plastic tabs on the tabs holding in the switches have lost all pliability and crack as soon as any pressure is applied to pop the switch.

all works looks decent....will save the project for a year or two...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

I had found www.newwiremarine.com for labeled switches, pretty much anything I needed switch-wise for the dash and they were great to order from (small shop, not much on their site except some electrical stuff for boats). I had a hard time finding a site that had the switches I wanted, so if that helps, save that site somewhere. MOST everything was fairly plug and play except nav/anc which had a little different pin layout than stock, plus if you have a bilge with on/off/on, the one on their site is on/off, so in order to get the auto bilge, you need to buy a different switch (on/off/on) and the bilge switch cap.

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
That burl looks so damn nice! Great choice. Beautiful boat.