Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Yes...and no. It was by accident that I saw the temp rise quickly, but it got me to wondering. So how do you know when it is to temp...or are you still going by the temp gauge but getting there at engine idle?

And are you wanting the oil warm because you are going to be changing it as well?
I'm using the gauge. But, even when the gauge gets to 160 that doesn't mean the engine and oil are at that temp. The oil takes longer to warm up so I run the engine up to 1500 so it happens a bit faster. Yes, the main reason I warm the oil is to help change it.

Those exhaust hoses that run from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers and from the mufflers to the transom will burn up and normally collapse inside before you do damage to the engine.

Like some here have said, if you have adequate water flow and you don't over rev the engine you probably wont hurt anything. For me, I want to error on the side of not taking chances.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,277
The reason I did the water bucket demo wasn't to say right or wrong way. It was to show people just how much water these engines really do use. From there people can decide what they want to do.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM
prostar205er prostar205er is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm using the gauge. But, even when the gauge gets to 160 that doesn't mean the engine and oil are at that temp. The oil takes longer to warm up so I run the engine up to 1500 so it happens a bit faster. Yes, the main reason I warm the oil is to help change it.

Those exhaust hoses that run from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers and from the mufflers to the transom will burn up and normally collapse inside before you do damage to the engine.

Like some here have said, if you have adequate water flow and you don't over rev the engine you probably wont hurt anything. For me, I want to error on the side of not taking chances.
Thanks Tim. Makes sense. Is 160 the tipping point before it opens?

After you get it there, do you drain all the water or just fill your tub with AF and let it suck it in to replace the water. (Seems to be a few schools of thought on this so wanted to see what your process was.)

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Thanks Tim. Makes sense. Is 160 the tipping point before it opens?

After you get it there, do you drain all the water or just fill your tub with AF and let it suck it in to replace the water. (Seems to be a few schools of thought on this so wanted to see what your process was.)

Thanks
160 is the point my thermostat opens. I run the engine for 10 or 15 minutes past that point. Then I drain the oil and change the filter. Once all that is done run it back up to temp +10 or 15 minutes again. I run the bucket down and then put in 6 gallons of AF. I run that into the motor and shut it down. Then all I do is pull the impeller. I never drain the water or the AF. I don't drain the water because end up pulling the hot water off of the thermostat which could allow it to close. I don't drain the AF because I want the anti corrosion of the AF in the motor.

To each their own.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
prostar205er prostar205er is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 66
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
160 is the point my thermostat opens. I run the engine for 10 or 15 minutes past that point. Then I drain the oil and change the filter. Once all that is done run it back up to temp +10 or 15 minutes again. I run the bucket down and then put in 6 gallons of AF. I run that into the motor and shut it down. Then all I do is pull the impeller. I never drain the water or the AF. I don't drain the water because end up pulling the hot water off of the thermostat which could allow it to close. I don't drain the AF because I want the anti corrosion of the AF in the motor.

To each their own.
Indeed...lots of ways to skin that cat. But great to hear from those that have skinned that cat year after year and have a trophy room of mounted heads to show for it.

Thanks Oz for letting me peek behind the curtain.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 AM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,277
I never new MC had an advisory about fake-o-lakes.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SV2007-2 Running Engines In The Shop.pdf (51.4 KB, 101 views)
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I never new MC had an advisory about fake-o-lakes.
They told us at training to avoid using them but how we supplied water was up to us to find the best way because not all of the shops would have access to the same materials. The best setup I worked with was a Rubbermade watering tank for livestock. It had a plug for draining, it held 50 gallons of water or anti-freeze and for running inboards, I screwed a piece of rubber form a conveyor belt to the long side and around the ends, so it would catch the spray and return it to the tub. I used a bilge pump with muff for running stern-drives.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
lake weir skier lake weir skier is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
They told us at training to avoid using them but how we supplied water was up to us to find the best way because not all of the shops would have access to the same materials. The best setup I worked with was a Rubbermade watering tank for livestock. It had a plug for draining, it held 50 gallons of water or anti-freeze and for running inboards, I screwed a piece of rubber form a conveyor belt to the long side and around the ends, so it would catch the spray and return it to the tub. I used a bilge pump with muff for running stern-drives.
And after you told me in another thread you were not advising I treat my engine like a farm animal.
__________________
1994 ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 11,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
And after you told me in another thread you were not advising I treat my engine like a farm animal.
I thought I said that you shouldn't beat it like a farm animal.

I guess it depends on the farm and the animal.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 10,895
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I never new MC had an advisory about fake-o-lakes.
bring on the buckets and totes
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.