Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Yes...and no. It was by accident that I saw the temp rise quickly, but it got me to wondering. So how do you know when it is to temp...or are you still going by the temp gauge but getting there at engine idle?

And are you wanting the oil warm because you are going to be changing it as well?
I'm using the gauge. But, even when the gauge gets to 160 that doesn't mean the engine and oil are at that temp. The oil takes longer to warm up so I run the engine up to 1500 so it happens a bit faster. Yes, the main reason I warm the oil is to help change it.

Those exhaust hoses that run from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers and from the mufflers to the transom will burn up and normally collapse inside before you do damage to the engine.

Like some here have said, if you have adequate water flow and you don't over rev the engine you probably wont hurt anything. For me, I want to error on the side of not taking chances.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:18 AM

The reason I did the water bucket demo wasn't to say right or wrong way. It was to show people just how much water these engines really do use. From there people can decide what they want to do.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm using the gauge. But, even when the gauge gets to 160 that doesn't mean the engine and oil are at that temp. The oil takes longer to warm up so I run the engine up to 1500 so it happens a bit faster. Yes, the main reason I warm the oil is to help change it.

Those exhaust hoses that run from the exhaust manifolds to the mufflers and from the mufflers to the transom will burn up and normally collapse inside before you do damage to the engine.

Like some here have said, if you have adequate water flow and you don't over rev the engine you probably wont hurt anything. For me, I want to error on the side of not taking chances.
Thanks Tim. Makes sense. Is 160 the tipping point before it opens?

After you get it there, do you drain all the water or just fill your tub with AF and let it suck it in to replace the water. (Seems to be a few schools of thought on this so wanted to see what your process was.)

Thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostar205er View Post
Thanks Tim. Makes sense. Is 160 the tipping point before it opens?

After you get it there, do you drain all the water or just fill your tub with AF and let it suck it in to replace the water. (Seems to be a few schools of thought on this so wanted to see what your process was.)

Thanks
160 is the point my thermostat opens. I run the engine for 10 or 15 minutes past that point. Then I drain the oil and change the filter. Once all that is done run it back up to temp +10 or 15 minutes again. I run the bucket down and then put in 6 gallons of AF. I run that into the motor and shut it down. Then all I do is pull the impeller. I never drain the water or the AF. I don't drain the water because end up pulling the hot water off of the thermostat which could allow it to close. I don't drain the AF because I want the anti corrosion of the AF in the motor.

To each their own.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
TT Regular

Boat: ProStar 205, 1994, LT1
Wink

Quote:
160 is the point my thermostat opens. I run the engine for 10 or 15 minutes past that point. Then I drain the oil and change the filter. Once all that is done run it back up to temp +10 or 15 minutes again. I run the bucket down and then put in 6 gallons of AF. I run that into the motor and shut it down. Then all I do is pull the impeller. I never drain the water or the AF. I don't drain the water because end up pulling the hot water off of the thermostat which could allow it to close. I don't drain the AF because I want the anti corrosion of the AF in the motor.

To each their own.
Indeed...lots of ways to skin that cat. But great to hear from those that have skinned that cat year after year and have a trophy room of mounted heads to show for it.

Thanks Oz for letting me peek behind the curtain.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 AM

I never new MC had an advisory about fake-o-lakes.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SV2007-2 Running Engines In The Shop.pdf (51.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 03-24-2014, 08:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
They told us at training to avoid using them but how we supplied water was up to us to find the best way because not all of the shops would have access to the same materials. The best setup I worked with was a Rubbermade watering tank for livestock. It had a plug for draining, it held 50 gallons of water or anti-freeze and for running inboards, I screwed a piece of rubber form a conveyor belt to the long side and around the ends, so it would catch the spray and return it to the tub. I used a bilge pump with muff for running stern-drives.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
They told us at training to avoid using them but how we supplied water was up to us to find the best way because not all of the shops would have access to the same materials. The best setup I worked with was a Rubbermade watering tank for livestock. It had a plug for draining, it held 50 gallons of water or anti-freeze and for running inboards, I screwed a piece of rubber form a conveyor belt to the long side and around the ends, so it would catch the spray and return it to the tub. I used a bilge pump with muff for running stern-drives.
And after you told me in another thread you were not advising I treat my engine like a farm animal.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake weir skier View Post
And after you told me in another thread you were not advising I treat my engine like a farm animal.
I thought I said that you shouldn't beat it like a farm animal.

I guess it depends on the farm and the animal.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:04 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
bring on the buckets and totes