Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I struggled with this last year. it was my first year winterizing on the lift and I didnt get to fog the engine because I was constantly pouring RV fluid into the shallow bucket I was forced to use. Can someone tell me the size of flexible tube I need to buy to go into my intake hose so I can get some reach into a 5 gallon bucket? My place at the lake is pretty remote and it would save me an hr or two if I could buy it before going.

thanks in advance!
What ever you put in the intake hose will probably need to be 1.25 OD inch. You can get a piece of SS tubing and use that to connect the hose to reach your bucket.

Also, you can fog the motor after you remove the impeller without starting it. Simply remove the kill switch lanyard and the impeller and fog away.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 PS 190 Powerslot
Send a message via AIM to Gonzo
Thanks!!..............

If it ain't broke just give it to me... it will be.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft Prostar 197
Can you make a video on how you rigged your bucket?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft Maristar 210 1991
The right way....

Another choice to do it the right way with no issues is this piece. I have this installed on my boat and works like a charm.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7
Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
That looks like a great replacement for the basic open PVC T that I have. Turn on the hose and a good portion of the water pours out the bottom of the inlet. The price of that thing is really high for what it is though.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acguy714 View Post
Another choice to do it the right way with no issues is this piece. I have this installed on my boat and works like a charm.
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DP7
That's the same as shoving a garden hose into the inlet. I'm not saying it's the correct or wrong way, I'm just saying it's the same result.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
That's the same as shoving a garden hose into the inlet. I'm not saying it's the correct or wrong way, I'm just saying it's the same result.

Except it has a check valve to keep the water from running out the inlet. As posted earlier, some inlets are blocket by the trailer bunk. so this would be a good alternative............
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
I think this argument is similar to the tie-down argument, only unlike the tie-down argument there is no wrong answer.

I doubt there is a marine service center in the country that uses a bucket to light off boat they are servicing. The motors are not under load, are ran for a relatively short period of time and are provided more than adequate cooling. I also find it entertaining that MasterCraft offers a hose connection flush port on their SS Series boats. Man, I tell you, MC must be damn near a recall on those because so many people have fried their motors after running their boats for 5 minutes.

I've got to be honest, I have ran offshore motors that are worth more than most boats on this forum off the hose and never had an issue. I have also used a flushing device offered by the MANUFACTURER that connects to the hose.

I guess what it comes down to is if running off a bucket makes you sleep better at night, go for it. Just don't get on a pedestal saying your method is "the" method.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodar View Post

I guess what it comes down to is if running off a bucket makes you sleep better at night, go for it. Just don't get on a pedestal saying your method is "the" method.
Everyone has to make up his or her own mind on what method they feel comfortable with using.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I haven't bothered to chime in on this thread, but I only became a bucket user after I had a fake-a-lake fall over without my knowing it and had a garden hose drop pressure when it was shoved inside the raw water hose (I have no idea why this happened, but as soon as I undid the hose clamp, pressure returned). The bucket method works for me because it is cheap, simple, and I can see whether it is working.

With that said, I have no vested interest in how others run their boats on the trailer. I have, in the past, merely offered up the method I settled on as an alternative. As with anything, you should do what works best for you.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited by east tx skier; 03-25-2014 at 11:07 AM.