Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-19-2015, 12:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 93 Prostar LT1
Stargazer set-up on LT1 too hot - any ideas

I recently purchased a 93 Prostar 190 with an LT1 engine. The boat only had 285 hours but did not have speed control. I put in a Stargazer system but am having trouble getting it to properly control the speed.

The calibration passes are close to perfect - but when pulling a skier I get variation.

If the system engages behind the island it comes into the course hot - as much as 2 mph fast. We have been getting around this by disengaging the system once the skier is up and then re-engaging as we come out of the island. This works ok - but we shouldn't have to do it. There is a 2004 Prostar with Stargazer that works just fine when it engages behind the island.

The other challenge is the variation in speed in the course. Some balls as .04 fast and then the boat slows down so the total time is very good within .01 or .02.

I'm running inverted RPM mode and have a good linkage test. I'm also in contact with PerfectPass but thought I would see if anyone else had this challenge and how they resolved it.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2015, 11:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1

Last edited by mgs96ps; 05-11-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
I had the same problem at first. I was using the standard RPM mode initially and when I put it into RPM mode it jumped around quite a bit. I then switched the RPM link to "inverted" and the RPM mode held steady perfectly. I then tried using the GPS Slalom mode again and it worked well without the surging I'd experienced before.

You said you are already running in "inverted" mode -- have you tested this by running in RPM mode and making sure it holds steady? For example, if you set it to 3200 RPMs in RPM mode it should hold steady at 3200 with only periodic jumps up to 3210. If it jumps around more than 10 RPMs do this same test with the standard RPM setting. If neither the standard RPM nor the inverted RPM settings are holding RPMs steady for you, then there is some problem that hopefully PP people can help you with. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:29 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Was going to suggest taking a look at the return spring. What version of the software are you running? Older versions would go a little nuts in turns and try to speed up to compensate for the gps signal indicating a much slower speed (as opposed to the previously measured straightline speed). This was fixed, but seems to have returned in the most recent update for some unknown reason.

As for ball to ball speed, have you gone into the software and fine tuned for the gate, 1, and 3 ball?

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 93 Prostar LT1
Thanks for the suggestions! Here are the responses:
1) Return Spring - when I hooked up the supplied retrun spring, it was pulling the throttle back so it was definately too strong and I loosen it. Actually since it settles to speed ok without a skier PP suggested I did not need it.

2) RPM test - yes the RPM holds to the set point with no more than 10 RPM variation.

3) Software - I am running 8.0.06. Your comment about older SW is very interesting. We have another MC running 7.0.62 and it does not have this issue. PP is going to send me this version to try as a next step.

4) So far PP has not suggested any fine tunning, do you have any reccomendations to try?

I really appreciate all the input!
Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASkier View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Here are the responses:
1) Return Spring - when I hooked up the supplied retrun spring, it was pulling the throttle back so it was definately too strong and I loosen it. Actually since it settles to speed ok without a skier PP suggested I did not need it.

2) RPM test - yes the RPM holds to the set point with no more than 10 RPM variation.

3) Software - I am running 8.0.06. Your comment about older SW is very interesting. We have another MC running 7.0.62 and it does not have this issue. PP is going to send me this version to try as a next step.

4) So far PP has not suggested any fine tunning, do you have any reccomendations to try?

I really appreciate all the input!
I like everything about 8.0.06 or whatever the latest is except that it now gets confused in the turns again. I have owned every version of the SG software and they had that knocked out since the very first update. We don't do too much spinning at the end of the course. So it's not a huge deal for me with how quickly SG engages and holds speed for us otherwise.

I have some fine tune numbers that worked well for TSC Nautiques. Not sure it would transfer over well to a different hull/engine/transmission combo. Frankly, with the latest update, I haven't even updated the fine tuning. Times with skier so far have been good out of the box for us.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
I like everything about 8.0.06 or whatever the latest is except that it now gets confused in the turns again. I have owned every version of the SG software and they had that knocked out since the very first update. We don't do too much spinning at the end of the course. So it's not a huge deal for me with how quickly SG engages and holds speed for us otherwise.
I find this interesting and disturbing. I bought my SG this past spring and therefore have the latest version (8.0.06) and have been very disappointed in the turns issue. I had read that this was a problem in older versions but had been taken care of. Mine doesn't handle turns well at all and I just figured it must have been REALLY bad in the past, but turns out that my version has the same problem as the old versions!

I called PP about it earlier this year and they said I just have to throttle back in turns to disengage and then throttle back up when going straight again. I grumbled but accepted this, but the issue has continued to bug me.

Sorry for the threadjack.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyGuy View Post
I find this interesting and disturbing. I bought my SG this past spring and therefore have the latest version (8.0.06) and have been very disappointed in the turns issue. I had read that this was a problem in older versions but had been taken care of. Mine doesn't handle turns well at all and I just figured it must have been REALLY bad in the past, but turns out that my version has the same problem as the old versions!

I called PP about it earlier this year and they said I just have to throttle back in turns to disengage and then throttle back up when going straight again. I grumbled but accepted this, but the issue has continued to bug me.

Sorry for the threadjack.
As much of a pain that this is, my last 2 boats had this setup and we had to throttle back in the turns. I think it is the nature of the PP system.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
I spent the better part of last season messing with mine. The challenge is finding the right mix of driver input and system set-up to enter the course at exactly the right speed; if it's off when you enter it will chase the right speed (fast and slow) throughout the course to exit at the right time...makes for an interesting ride.

For me with a relatively short set-up on one end and wife for driver (so can't blame her) it frustrated the hell out of me. I've used classic mode this year and run 16.95 on just about every pass with a nice, steady pull...GPS still provides times and holds a good speed for tricks. Not ideal or what I hoped to get out of it, but it works for us.