Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 SportStar
Filling screw holes

I removed my pitot tube holders and pitot tubes, so total of 8 screw holes and the 2 pitot tube holes which are all the way through the transom. What is best product(s) to use to fill these? Fiberglass is white. Would like to keep this easy! Also would like to avoid accessing the 2 thru holes from the inside. Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Boat: 06 X30
This wont be easy, but will be worth it.

First, take it to boat repair shop and have them filled and gel coated correctly.

Second if you must do it at home get a list ready.

Get some good resins and mix and fill with a fiber glass filler like this.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/13...ers_38/Fillers

Then get an injector like this

Mix the resin and filler and then inject into the holes. Once full put some masking tape over to keep the resin in until it drys. Then do some gel work.

Third, pick up some 3m 4200 and mash it into the holes mask it and let it dry.

Lastly, depending on the method you have chosen worry more or less about water leaking into your boats hull.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrhodes View Post
I removed my pitot tube holders and pitot tubes, so total of 8 screw holes and the 2 pitot tube holes which are all the way through the transom. What is best product(s) to use to fill these? Fiberglass is white. Would like to keep this easy! Also would like to avoid accessing the 2 thru holes from the inside. Thoughts?
If the hull's color hasn't changed, Spectrum Color sells gel coat repair kits that match well. If you have a local MC dealer, they may even have it in stock. They'll need the hull ID number to match it. If the hull's color has changed, wet sand through to the natural color before filling the holes and feathering the edge. Apply the gel coat and let it set before sanding and polishing. Give it a few coats of good wax after- sanded gel coat is porous.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If the hull's color hasn't changed, Spectrum Color sells gel coat repair kits that match well. If you have a local MC dealer, they may even have it in stock. They'll need the hull ID number to match it. If the hull's color has changed, wet sand through to the natural color before filling the holes and feathering the edge. Apply the gel coat and let it set before sanding and polishing. Give it a few coats of good wax after- sanded gel coat is porous.
James, clearly a hole drilled through the gel and fiberglass needs more then just a gel coat covering. Water entering from either side dictates a fill of the entire hole with something water proof.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
James, clearly a hole drilled through the gel and fiberglass needs more then just a gel coat covering. Water entering from either side dictates a fill of the entire hole with something water proof.
You had already covered filling the holes and I didn't think it would be necessary to write about that again since it should be implied.

Don't call me 'James'. My mother called me 'James'. Once.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You had already covered filling the holes and I didn't think it would be necessary to write about that again since it should be implied.

Don't call me 'James'. My mother called me 'James'. Once.
It's a respect thing. Should I say Clarice next time?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:51 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
It's a respect thing. Should I say Clarice next time?
Why I oughtta!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
This wont be easy, but will be worth it.

First, take it to boat repair shop and have them filled and gel coated correctly.

Second if you must do it at home get a list ready.

Get some good resins and mix and fill with a fiber glass filler like this.

Then get an injector like this

Mix the resin and filler and then inject into the holes. Once full put some masking tape over to keep the resin in until it drys. Then do some gel work.

Third, pick up some 3m 4200 and mash it into the holes mask it and let it dry.

Lastly, depending on the method you have chosen worry more or less about water leaking into your boats hull.

If it was me I would fill the holes with 3m 5200 put in some sort of a removable plug on the outside like cork so you could use a pick to get it out.. then fill it from the inside and put tape over it to hold it in.. let it dry.. then pick out the cork and fill with gel coat it, the pilot holders probably kept the gel coat color original under them so you can just get the spectrum match for your hull and you will be spot on...

Good luck and pics would help