Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 11-15-2016, 07:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Achilles SPD310
Yellow gel coat repair

Was wandering if anyone has had any experience with yellow gel coat. Was looking at an 03 x2 and the entire Hull is yellow with quite a few areas that need repaired. Is yellow a difficult color to work with. Also does yellow gell lose its shiny luster quicker than any other colors. Thanks
Old 11-15-2016, 08:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: wooden, boat, 1908, putt
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Was wandering if anyone has had any experience with yellow gel coat. Was looking at an 03 x2 and the entire Hull is yellow with quite a few areas that need repaired. Is yellow a difficult color to work with. Also does yellow gell lose its shiny luster quicker than any other colors. Thanks
Maybe I should send you this information in a private message but here goes....I am sure pre-approval is not mandatory...I feel certain the liberals will get over it...

Yellow is like any other color when it comes to gel...you use a base and a mix and get the yellow to match like you want it. Or you can use Spectrum kits as a filler but that becomes a decision on what you want for what you pay...actually on both accounts... Spraying gel provides a much more consistent finish for sanding where patch kits and hand application leaves a little more finish work. Your preferences will help you decide depending on how many spots and area you are doing. I had a small area on this machine about 5" x 12" and I am glad I had it sprayed on. Labor hours can get expensive. Going rates range from 50 - 90 dollars per hour.

The thing about new gel is that is it hard to get it to match faded gel (different degrees of UV fading) or may be that your gel is still like new. I have seen older boats that are pristine...I added new gel to this old boat I am working on and it looks decent but the obvious difference is the new gel VS. the faded gel from years of UV and no wax. Not much you can do about it unless you mix and match which takes a lot of time. Lots of boob-tube videos on that process.

Yellow will not loose any more or less than any other color depending on the care you give it.

If you mix your gel, it gets expensive very quickly. I just had some gel work done and the guy stated that he priced a gallon of color match for ~$150 / gallon. So I chose to use his in-stock supply and took a close match.

I would choose a polyester gel material as it will adhere to the surface a little better because the boat has polyester (compared to epoxy).

So as I brought the boat home, the guy had about a quart left over and sent it with me. I like you, had a few more spots I wanted to fill, sand, and finish. Saying that, if you go down that road it is not bad to work with and I recommend you use a mold release agent to spray on the finish so that it cures out nicely and is not tacky. Otherwise the home brew will take a good long while to cure, thus delaying sanding and finish.

The Spectrum kits are a gel mix base with a second part curing agent to mix and apply. I have used it several times and have not been completely happy any of the times but I attribute that to my amateur skills with gel. However the Spectra gets you a predetermined color mix at your choosing.

I am sanding and finishing a few spots now to wrap up the gel work on this rebuild I am doing and it looks OK for me and the budget route I chose. One thing I (the guy that did the work) ran into was that the pigment in the early 80s contained led. New pigments do not, so there lies another factor for consideration of mix and match and the two different compositions.

I am not gel finish expert but with a little practice and watching how-to videos, it's not hard. Patience. There are a lot of different ways to look at this and what you are willing to do with the project approach. Other experienced people may be able to shed a little more light and your mileage may vary.

$0.02
66 Million Suckers.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-15-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Achilles SPD310
Great advice. Thanks man. For some reason I remember reading on this forum that yellow is one of the worst colors to own on a mastercraft. Something about that they do not age well. Maybe it was red though lol. My memory does not seem to fire on all cylinders these days. At least that what my wife tells me everyday.