Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Parts & Accessories

Old 10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
Anyone interested in a LY6?

Haven't posted it in the Marketplace yet but wanted to see if I could strike up any interest in an used 2008 Indmar LY6 6.0L. I am looking into the possibility of selling my LY6 and wanted to see if there would be any interest from someone looking to repower or upgrade to a more powerful engine. Great opportunity for someone looking for more power for their MC.
If you are interested let me know and what you might think it is worth. I have an idea in mind given what they are new from Indmar. It would be the complete turn key running engine ready to drop in your boat. It is in perfect running condition and all maintenace was performed by the book by the local MC dealer. Engine has 162 hours on the clock and the V-Drive tranny is included if desired.

Drop me a PM and let me know what you think......
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Too far from me, i'm sure someone will be interested though. Good luck with the sale. Pictures, parts list, location would also help.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:53 PM
MC Fanatic

I can take some pictures tomorrow and post them. It's your standard LY6 and has attachments for heater and shower. The actual shower and heater stay with the boat. All engine components are included in the sale; alternator, raw water pump, circulation pump, ECU, injectors, spark plugs and wires. Basically it will be ready to run and all that would be needed are fuel, throttle, and exhaust connections.
Shipping is not a problem, I can easily ship to anyone on a shipping crate. The engine is located in the Seattle area.

For peace of mind, all work will be performed by local MC dealer - Northwest Watersports and they can answer any concerns about condition and service.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I'm not interested in the engine, but I am curious as to what you are replacing it with
Old 10-17-2011, 02:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I'm not interested in the engine, but I am curious as to what you are replacing it with
I have an opportunity to drop a L18 in my boat so that means the LY6 needs to find a new home. I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to get the power bump but only if I can sell my LY6. This is a great chance for someone else to do the same and get a perfectly running LY6. The LY6 is a very smooth engine and revs easily. It produces smooth power all the way through the power band.

Someone out there has to want some extra power????
Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 View Post
I have an opportunity to drop a L18 in my boat so that means the LY6 needs to find a new home. I would like to take advantage of the opportunity to get the power bump but only if I can sell my LY6. This is a great chance for someone else to do the same and get a perfectly running LY6. The LY6 is a very smooth engine and revs easily. It produces smooth power all the way through the power band.

Someone out there has to want some extra power????
I had thought that MC stopped using the L18 a few years back but continued using the LY6 because it provided enough power and torque for those heavier boats. There must be a reason they stopped using the L18 right?

Assuming you have tried different props to gain performance, I would think your next option would be to install a Procharger supercharger (or similar) to gain some big horsepower. Offshore boats go this route alot instead of changing engines. A guy I know installed Prochargers on his twin 502 Fountain and gained over 20 mph! You might gain 5!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
I had thought that MC stopped using the L18 a few years back but continued using the LY6 because it provided enough power and torque for those heavier boats. There must be a reason they stopped using the L18 right?

Assuming you have tried different props to gain performance, I would think your next option would be to install a Procharger supercharger (or similar) to gain some big horsepower. Offshore boats go this route alot instead of changing engines. A guy I know installed Prochargers on his twin 502 Fountain and gained over 20 mph! You might gain 5!
You're starting to sound like Hooligan...just add headers too while you're at it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
They didn't stop the L18's when they announced that they were going to. They continued into 2010. The reason they stopped offering the L18 is because the blocks were no longer available from GM I believe/ heard. There was some extensive discussion a while back. If I had a larger MC and had the chance to drop a big block into it I would do so.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:

Indmar stopped selling the L18 after the 2010 MY as already pointed out. They stopped because GM quit building them because of meeting emission reqs. and they weren't selling them in trucks, everyone was buying Duramaxes. The LY6 was the top of the line small block upgrade and does produce enough power for the big boats, just not for me.
I have tried multiple props, even the new 5 blade, and researched supercharging. There are not a lot of marine superchargers in the FI market but plenty for carb engines. Plus it would be completely custom install with a custom ECM tune and I don't want to mess with chasing down tune or running issues during our very short season. The L18 swap is plug and play, take out my LY6 and drop in the L18 and I will pick up 6-8 MPH with a new prop. The engine swap is the easiest solution by far besides buying a new boat.

I just figured there would be someone else out there like me looking for more power and the quick solution is an engine swap. Or someone has a tired engine or cracked block needing a replacement.