Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Ok, I think I was able to resolve this on the cheap.

Never heard back from my local MC dealer then another out of state dealer that I was working with fell off the map after it seemed like they were going to find what I needed.

Fortunately Chuck @ BAWS determined that 81496005 (Pulley + belt "kit" to resolve this issue) was discontinued. He checked with Indmar to see if there was a replacement part and came up with 531184 (Just the updated pulley, not the "kit") but found that it was discontinued too. He had previously looked and found no other reference to a water pump pulley for an LTR.

So, I started looking at aftermarket GM small block water pump pulleys. I was getting frustrated because most listed no specs at all (i.e. no diameter, offset or anything like that). Some listed diameter but the only spec that was commonly listed was whether it was for a "short" or "long" water pump. I was able to determine that I had a "short" water pump and it occurred to me that maybe no specs were commonly listed because it they were a commodity item that was generally the same on all GM small blocks.

So, I found one on amazon for $29.71 shipped and figured it was worth a shot:
http://www.amazon.com/Mota-Performan...3223482&sr=8-1

Just installed it and it's aligned perfectly with the crank pulley (About 3/32" offset towards the engine relative to the old one) and has a "shoulder" to prevent the belt from walking. It's a 1/2" smaller diameter than the factory pulley but from what I could tell from other users' pics the formerly available replacement pulley from Indmar was smaller in diameter as well. Unfortunately that means I have to find a suitable belt but that shouldn't be very hard.

I won't know for sure until the spring when I can run it but it looks like. Hopefully this helps someone.
I hate to dig up an old thread but was just searching for replacement belt sizes for my LQ9 and came across this one. The belt on my engine recently shredded, i believe its due to old age, however I am skeptical this amount of damage could happen from age. Wondering how your pulley worked out and how your belt was failing. My belt lost 2 of the 5 bands, never broke completely. I'm currently waiting for a new one to install, just don't want it to rip as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Again, hate to dig up an old thread, but my 2002 LTR has this same problem (I believe).
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
That looks like the bad pulley that I ended up throwing away. I haven't had any belt related issues since I swapped in that nondescript small block gm water pump pulley from amazon. I can't believe it's been over 3 years and had forgotten I even had this problem. To find the right sized belt I measured and then picked up 3 or so that were in 1/2" circumference increments close to the measured size from NAPA. I then kept the one that fit best and returned the rest.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM
MC Devotee

Actually, your OE pulley looks very similar to mine but yours seems to have a shoulder on it to try to keep the belt on. Mine never actually shredded belts because I had no shoulder. The belt was just allowed to "walk" over a bit and ride in proper alignment with the other pulleys. I could see the shoulder combined with what appears to be the same misalignment being much harder on the belts and shredding them.

The pulley I got off amazon (which has gone up $6) has a shoulder but also aligned properly with the rest of the pulleys. I'd buy that pulley for $36 and see if it offers you better alignment. Worst case you can return it and only pay return shipping and a restocking fee. If it is in better alignment then you can shop locally for a suitable belt.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:04 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Try Bruce at Action Water Sports in Fenton Mi... great source for parts.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
Actually, your OE pulley looks very similar to mine but yours seems to have a shoulder on it to try to keep the belt on. Mine never actually shredded belts because I had no shoulder. The belt was just allowed to "walk" over a bit and ride in proper alignment with the other pulleys. I could see the shoulder combined with what appears to be the same misalignment being much harder on the belts and shredding them.

The pulley I got off amazon (which has gone up $6) has a shoulder but also aligned properly with the rest of the pulleys. I'd buy that pulley for $36 and see if it offers you better alignment. Worst case you can return it and only pay return shipping and a restocking fee. If it is in better alignment then you can shop locally for a suitable belt.
I ordered the pulley you recommended this morning. Mine was OK for the last 2 years (and the P/O's 200 hours) but lately shreds belts instantly. I don't know why the change, but the new pulley should fix it up.

Also, I removed the 4 bolts but couldn't get the pulley off, is it pressed on?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 PM
MC Devotee

Mine was not pressed on. It's probably just corrosion on the mating surfaces due to the dissimilar metals. I'd try penetrating lube over the course of the next couple of days since you're waiting on the new pulley anyway. See if you can spray it a couple of times a day and get it off without a lot of force. I'd avoid hammering on it too hard as you'll probably do damage to the shaft seal(s). If it won't come off you could probably use one of the loan-a-tool pullers from autozone/O'Reilly. A large 2 or 3 jaw puller should be able to pop it off.