Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2011, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to take advantage of the end of the season deals and would like some advice on which boat to buy. I have a budget of $6,000.00 and have narrowed my search down to three choices. The first boat that I am considering is a 1985 Stars and Stripes. It is gray with black stars, has 1217 hours on the original 351, has brand new upholstery (with original carpet) and looks to be in really nice shape everywhere else. This is the cheapest of the three boats at $5,000.00.
The next boat I am considering is a 1989 Prostar 190. This boat is gray and navy blue, has 817 hours, the proslot transmission and was re-carpeted two years ago. It has a few scratches on the bow where it appears to have been beached in the past. This boat is $5,800.00 but it is located in Wisconsin (a 6 hour drive).
The last boat that I am considering is a 1984 Stars and Stripes. The boat is gray and blue with white stripes. It has a chrysler 440 big block with 1100 hours, brand new interior and carpet, new stereo, new tires on the trailer and a new fitted cover. This boat is at the very top of my price range at $6,250.00.
Do these seem like good prices? Is it worth the 12 hours of driving to pick up the 89? Are the wakes much different between the mid and late 80's hulls? Finally, how many hours can you expect to get out of one of these motors? I'm not afraid to do a rebuild at some point but I am guessing that the 440 is going to be more costly than the 351's.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Send a message via AIM to cbryan70
89 hull throws a hell of a ski wake.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 S&S, 2001 19 Skier
Pros and cons to all three. You'll have a slightly better ski wake with the '89, and the '89 is a little less weight-sensitive, meaning if you're operating with just a driver you'll have a little less lean to that side than with a stars and stripes. I did not like the windshield on the 87-90; it's too low-profile and the top frame is at the average driver's eye level. Over time you might find that the skiers (stars and stripes) will hold their value a little better as they tend to be considered the "classic" MC. No personal experience with a big block boat; don't see the need unless you're doing a lot of footing.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStar Slalom View Post
Pros and cons to all three. You'll have a slightly better ski wake with the '89, and the '89 is a little less weight-sensitive, meaning if you're operating with just a driver you'll have a little less lean to that side than with a stars and stripes. I did not like the windshield on the 87-90; it's too low-profile and the top frame is at the average driver's eye level. Over time you might find that the skiers (stars and stripes) will hold their value a little better as they tend to be considered the "classic" MC. No personal experience with a big block boat; don't see the need unless you're doing a lot of footing.
That pretty well sums it up.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
I would keep looking and increase the budget (if at all possible)to the $7-8k range.

At this PP you are into 91+ PS range.

The high hours would make me nervous at $6k. An 80's SS would be sweet, but I think lower hour boats are out there for that PP.

YMMV.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
look for the one that has has the most care. if the engine looks really clean then they probably took very good care of the boot..minimal to no rust and not all greasy. Look inside the valve covers to see how clean the valve train is...if clean then most likely maintenance always done on time...
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
+1 on the boat most taken care of.

As they say, buy the seller, not the boat. This applies to cars / watches / guns / airplanes too.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
Also a nod to the better maintained boat. If you're into slalom, and course skiing, I'd try to hold out for a '91 or later, better wake. Also I'd really try to make sure it has a powerslot transmission, much better for slalom IMHO. My '89 has a pretty decent wake for skiing, but the '91+ is noticeably better. The one S&S I have skied behind had similar wake to mine, maybe even a bit smaller, but it had no gear in it, and only the driver, so like someone else said I think they are somewhat weight sensitive. It may be hard, but I would stronly advise skiing behind any boat before you buy. Wakes and how it feels can be very subjective, and you don't want to have wake regret.
Good luck,
Kevin
1989 ProStar 190 with "Safe T Top", 351 Ford, GT 40 heads painted Ford Blue, Elec. Ign, 1:1, 720 hours, 4 blade prop, PP 6.5, removable platform brackets, custom color from factory, hot water shower, Boat Buddy & LED lights on trailer
2010 D3 Z7, 2 @ 32 off, 34 mph so far
Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
I have an '83 and my father-in-law has an '88.

One thing I would look for is if one of the boats has the powerslot transmission. The powerslot is a deal breaker for me. I like the extra power out of the hole.

I echo what the others have said about maintaince. Without that, the boat will be a headache to own no matter which one you buy.

With those two things being said, I like the classic lines of the S&S. It is one of the best looking boats on the water. You'll get tons of complements and people will always be surprised when you tell them how old it is.

I like the steering better on the '88. It comes around a little faster than my '83. I don't know if I have stiff steering, but it does take work to pull it around.

I like the wake on the '88 better. It's clean and there is hardly anything there.

I do like the sound of the '83. Something about the fiberglass or the way it was constructed makes it sound better.

Overall, you have the pick of three great boats. Have a pre-purchase inspection done on which ever boat you buy. Paying the $200 of so to have one done is money well spent. And if something doesn't check out well, move on or use it as a negotiating tool.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I've driven my brother's 07 197, and it can't turn any sharper than my 85 ss. If your 83 is taking work check the steering cable and rudder box.
All could be geat boats, and all could be terrible. That said, I wouldn't want to pay for the extra gas on a 440. I've got the 351, no power slot and it's done everything I've ever asked of it. Including pulling out 3 skiers over 250 lbs. all at once. That said, the powerslot would be a nice option if all other things are equal.
Seems you're in Yipsi? If so this listing is very near to you and much lower hours. I know they tend to turn these fairly quick. If Chuck Whitbread is still working there tell him Jeff Dale sent you and ask him what's the best he can do for you.
http://www.dlwatersports.com/pre_own...R0&veh=2309195