Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
PayPal Rant

So, I was over at my parents home, as I do each week, trying to prepare it for sale. I looked at my phone and saw I had new email waiting... I saw 2 transaction emails come through from PayPal. Two things came to mind.

1. Phishing
2. Scammers/fraud

I NEVER open a link sent to my email, which will forever prevent me from ever being tricked by phishing. So, I went to PayPals website directly, logged in and saw they had 2 transactions to 2 different people for $2 each. I advised them these were fraudulent, and they opened tickets on both.

Hereís where the process fails...

1. Paypal does not return the money immediately. Instead, they open a ticket and launch an investigation, and pending the results, theyíll return your money. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? What if the transaction had been for $1500 and I could not make my monthly bills because some jackwagon swindled me? (Note: someone hit my debit card like this about 10 years ago for about $1300, and it started with a Ďtestí transaction like the $2 charge mentioned above)...

2. Since PayPal is directly linked to your bank account and your credit card, the chances for them nailing you on multiple fronts is even worse.

I had them permalock my account... I hate PayPal, so Iím just gonna say, once my $4 comes back, I am deleting my account and anyone here (or elsewhere) that wants to do business with me will have to do it on a gentlemanís agreement.

The funny thing is, I never trusted it to begin with,

#off soapbox #screwyoupaypalyousuck #thievessuck #letskeepitsimplegoingforward

MC

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-03-2015, 12:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
... brain dead comment removed...
-----
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
-----
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
Old 02-03-2015, 12:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
My question would be, for over $4 why not just delete the account now.
I guess the principle of it. But it's locked so noone can get me now.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 02-03-2015, 12:34 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I guess the principle of it. But it's locked so noone can get me now.
Wow, you were fast to read that. I went back and read that you locked it and then removed my post. Don't know that I would trust that the lock. But then again, now they have your account information buried in their system just waiting to be hacked. Then again so does everyone else...

Long and short of it is that the electronic funds transaction handling needs a serious overhaul. Technology exists and sooner or later we will get there.
-----
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
-----
Old 02-03-2015, 12:40 PM
MC Devotee

The one reason I use my credit card for as much as possible is that if I catch the transaction within (I forget the time period but I think it is 60 days) I call and have it blocked/dropped. I had to do this twice in the past year. The charge is removed immediately and is only but back on after review determines it was correct. I tend to sign in on my credit card every couple weeks to scan the transactions, no less than once a month when also check the balance. I also had a dispute with a fitness club that was a real PITA and I also took care of them using this method.

I never did like organizations like PayPal which want you to use your bank account over credit card.
-----
-----
Old 02-03-2015, 12:42 PM

Boat: 06 X30
How were you charge the $2.00?

IE Someone got your paypal info and purchased a couple of things @ 2 bucks each using your account? Or did someone gift another paypal account some dough using your account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205er View Post
I drink wine and whine about it being too cold to drink beer....
Old 02-03-2015, 12:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Wakesetter VLX
PayPal is terrible, no question. I wish there was a better alternative.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:03 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
PayPal is terrible, no question. I wish there was a better alternative.
Me too, problem is that I haven't found a better alternative.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
never had a problem - and you can also add your cell phone to get a authorization code - I think paypal under assault I got a weird email the other day as well. I bet one of their business customers got hacked... maybe you were at a questionable web site Mark
Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I've never had an issue with paypal either. I've taken some steps to keep it as safe as possible. I think most of the time people use an email that they use a lot on the net and have soft passwords.

I keep my paypal email close hold and use a 512bit random password generator for that password. Don't use an online password gen either. Likewise, don't use that password any where else on the net.

Keepass is a great downloadable password gen tool.

http://keepass.info/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205er View Post
I drink wine and whine about it being too cold to drink beer....