Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-21-2015, 02:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Xstar
Yosemite trip

The wife and I are planning a trip to Yosemite this summer. I suspect we are late in making arrangements so thought I'd ask TT for some advice on where to stay and what to do. Some things about us; we'll be flying in and renting a car. No camping. Looking for a resort/hotel. Dates are flexible but I've heard June is the best time. Casual hikers so looking for short/ medium trails. Plan to take lots of pictures. Any travel advice for us?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210VRS, 2000
Kind of fun to stay in the tent cabins, Curry Village. Not a resort and not luxurious, but you are right in the valley and somewhat comfortable. We usually camp, so the tents are a luxury to my family

Can hike, raft, bike, etc.... Pretty much can't go wrong with any hike, we have done some backpacking and sightseeing there and it's all beautiful.

Bears are a nuisance, might want to bring some bear spray and be ready to use it. We had a momma bear come up to us while we were cooking on our jetstove and stood 5' behind my wife, we were a group of 6. We immediately stepped away and started yelling and throwing rocks. Still made off with our open bear proof container. So lesson learned, always close your bear container, even the mommas have big balls.

Have fun, it's a great place.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Yosemite Lodge at the Falls is decent and at a price that will not break the bank. It is in the main valley (Yosemite Valley) where all the tourists congregate. Ahwahnee Hotel is also in Yosemite Valley but is more upscale and priced as such.

A lot of the other hotels are on the southern end which I don't frequent. Seems to me a long distance to travel to the valley floor.

I suggest a lot of research on the NPS website:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisi...ngsleeping.htm

Yosemite Valley is a must see but I've been there enough that the congestion and crowds of people turn me off.

Most of the hikes are not that bad if you allow yourself plenty of time.

Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall Trails from the valley is a must. However there is a steep granite staircase. A trick is to go out the John Muir Trail, loop around and then come down the Vernal and Nevada falls trail. You can also get to the bottom of Half Dome from these trails but you will not get a permit to actually climb Half Dome as they sell out the day they become available.

Go up to Glacier Point. Hike around up there. Alternatively take the bus to there. You can hike to Half Dome from there. A bit longer but more down hill and far less up.

Do yourself a big favor. My favorite part of the park is out Tioga Pass. Spend some time in the general area of Tuolumne Meadows:

A must hike is Cathedral Lakes.

Glen Aulin is another awesome place to go.

Mono Pass is kind of cool but very different from the valley and west side. More desert like.

You can research all the hikes on the NPS website.

In 2010 I did a 7 day, 60 mile backpacking trip in the back country of Yosemite - it is an awesome place to hike. I visit the park at least a couple time each year. Unfortunately it is stacking up to be another dry year (very little snow pack) so the falls will not be that nice when you are there.
-----
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
-----
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
Old 02-23-2015, 03:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA001 View Post
The wife and I are planning a trip to Yosemite this summer. I suspect we are late in making arrangements so thought I'd ask TT for some advice on where to stay and what to do. Some things about us; we'll be flying in and renting a car. No camping. Looking for a resort/hotel. Dates are flexible but I've heard June is the best time. Casual hikers so looking for short/ medium trails. Plan to take lots of pictures. Any travel advice for us?
There is lots to see in Yosemite... we went there last year... and didn't have trouble that time of the year finding places to stay... it is before the season out there.....

in the park might be harder but outside the park there should be plenty of places to stay.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X1
Half Dome

Hiking to the top of Half Dome is not super strenuous, even from the valley floor. It's a really neat experience, great views and makes for great pictures and stories.

I would consider that something you should really consider.

My 2 cents, Steve.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:52 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-9
We stayed in the tent cabins last summer. Not luxurious and a little loud. My wife said we are staying at the Yosemite lodge next time. The hike to upper falls is great!
Old 02-23-2015, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Xstar
Thanks for all the advice. No luck getting a room at the By the falls lodge. they told me they book up a year in advance. Currently looking at options in Mariposa. Appreciate all the hiking suggestions. Obviously there is more to do than I can fit in in 6-7 days. I'm sure we'll do some hikes from the valley. My wife wants to see the giant sequoias. Will look into Tioga pass, Tuolumme meadows and Cathedral lake. They all sound interesting to me.