Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 05-20-2014, 04:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X15, 2006, MCX 5.7 liter vortex, yellow / white slider
Lift Canopy or New MC Cover?

My wife and I are debating getting a lift canopy this month. We are looking at Sunchaser brand (www.sunchasercanopy.com). I have some heartburn about purchasing one of these as it is one more item to take care of in the spring and fall. I also like having the open sky above us when were are sitting at the dock letting the kids swim. However, i dont have to go through the cover ritual every night after use. I welcome views of the pros / cons of canopys. My gut tells me to just go spend the money and replace the mooring cover and avoid the extra hassles. Suggestions?
Old 05-20-2014, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 205, 2001, 350
I am going with a new cover, with a lift canopy all that ever happens to me is birds (barn swallows) like to nest under it and crap all over my boat all the time... so I took mine off. If it have to buy a new cover in 10 years after this one goes I will be way ahead and won't have to clean up bird poop all the time...
Old 05-20-2014, 04:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X15, 2006, MCX 5.7 liter vortex, yellow / white slider
Supposedly the Sunchaser brand is the "bow" type that is constructed in such a way that birds cannot nest up there. It is supposed to keep bugs from nesting too (I dont believe that one bit). I will definatly pass on the canopy if I have to deal with bird poop every week. Good info though. That is one more negative leaning me towards a brand spankin new MC mooring cover. They sure do look purdy when new.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Get a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I do the canopy thing. I have a relatively deep canopy so I can tuck the boat up and keep as much sun off as I can. I also have a storage rack inside the canopy so I can put the mooring cover up there, water toys, cleaning supplies, etc... I park the Boat there all the time so if it rains I don't have to run and cover. I still put the mooring cover on if I'm gone for several days, but I've never replaced it either. To me, the canopy is the way to go.
BTW, adds very little weifgt when removing from lake, canopy canvas is easy to handle with 2 people. I also keep birds and crawly thing out by spraying a light dusting of Yard Guard in the corners once a month. Birds and critters hate that stuff!
Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Stars and Stripes
I'm a canopy guy myself. I hate putting a cover on a wet boat. The boat cranks up enough to tuck it under the canopy so it doesn't get wet when it rains. The only time it does is when we have a heavy wind blowing in a certain direction. Otherwise, I use a few bungie cord to keep the sides down.

Birds do make nests in the corners, but every time I'm in the boat, I knock the nests out. They stop coming around...
Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X9, 2006, 350 MCX
I do both, I have a canopy and just purchased a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com to protect the sides. I leave it uncovered on the lift during the weekend but put the cover on while I'm gone for the week. I was amazed at how dirty the boat would get if I left it uncovered. For my old boat, doing this method my boat cover lasted 19 years bc the shore station canopy took the abuse of rain and sun!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
+1 for both. And leave uncovered on weekend or if wet.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
+1 for both. And leave uncovered on weekend or if wet.
+2 on both
Old 05-20-2014, 11:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014, X30, 6.0 Gen2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
I do the canopy thing. I have a relatively deep canopy so I can tuck the boat up and keep as much sun off as I can. I also have a storage rack inside the canopy so I can put the mooring cover up there, water toys, cleaning supplies, etc... I park the Boat there all the time so if it rains I don't have to run and cover. I still put the mooring cover on if I'm gone for several days, but I've never replaced it either. To me, the canopy is the way to go.
BTW, adds very little weifgt when removing from lake, canopy canvas is easy to handle with 2 people. I also keep birds and crawly thing out by spraying a light dusting of Yard Guard in the corners once a month. Birds and critters hate that stuff!
THIS!!