Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-10-2011, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Integrated Bow sac install without drilling-205

Like a lot of people with DD boats, I'm looking at ways to get my boat ('97 205) weighted without excessive sacs everywhere. The integrated bow sac looks like a good solution to hidden ballast even if the space limits full weight (read estimated 400 lbs?). The link below looks like an easy install option but I wanted to see what others thought. I could probably link the vent line with bilge vent with a check-valve or I could just self vent the sac when filling. I'm trying to follow the KISS principle with this project.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=31628

In addition to bow sac, I'm considering lead weight (520# pop bags) for under rear seat and in-floor cooler and possibly upfront as well.

Am I trying to fit a square peg in a round hole? Should I just stick to sacs on the floor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Nick
Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Any shut off valve below the water line should be brass. I have read that it is a coast guard regulation as well.

I'm gonna be a bit direct with this one. Pulling water off the rawr water line, cooling system, is just a bad, bad idea. Why would anyone think that compromising the cooling system would be a good idea, hell even an idea in the first place.

I would strongly suggest you look at other ideas. I know you said you don't want to drill, but it's not that scary of thing to do.

Follow the instructions at Wakemakers and you'll be fine.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
i have a rear seat sac that goes in back. it fits with the seat down but has a little more capacity with the rear seat up in the sundeck position. i will be installing a 750 pound sac on the left side of the engine box over the winter to give me a surf wake. up front i thought about the integrated bow sac but it ends up so far forward that i thought it limited capacity quite a bit. so instead i put 2 side sacs up front under the bow cushions and let them sit as far to the rear as possible to get as much water in them as possible.
with 4 or 5 people in the boat there is still plenty of room and it is definitely sitting pretty low in the water. it throws a beautiful wakeboarding wake, wont know until next year what kind of surf wake i'll have.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Old 10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Thanks for the replies.

CR-
I'm no engineer but I would imagine that running a 1" hose from a "T"d off section of the raw water pump for a few minutes wouldn't change the engine temperature dramatically. If I had the tools for the thru-hull installation I'd feel a little more compelled but I don't.

TC-
Do they side sacs get pretty full under the seats? I agree the wake is great (at least for my needs) but just don't want the hassle of throwing pumps over the edge or taking up space if possible. I guess the next step is finding fat friends.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fng_ View Post
Thanks for the replies.

CR-
I'm no engineer but I would imagine that running a 1" hose from a "T"d off section of the raw water pump for a few minutes wouldn't change the engine temperature dramatically. If I had the tools for the thru-hull installation I'd feel a little more compelled but I don't.

TC-
Do they side sacs get pretty full under the seats? I agree the wake is great (at least for my needs) but just don't want the hassle of throwing pumps over the edge or taking up space if possible. I guess the next step is finding fat friends.
They fill up just about all the way. if people are sitting up front the bags will pick them up.
i used 2 jabsco ballast puppy pumps and put to intakes through the hull, one for each pump. i added 2 vents through the hull for overflow.
i know drilling holes in your boat sounds scary but it's well worth it and much better than hanging pumps and hoses off the side. i can just add or remove water from the front or rear to shape the wake or compensate for people.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _fng_ View Post
Thanks for the replies.

CR-

I'm not either which is why I would not risk it.

For the through hulls all you need is a cheap $4 hole saw and any drill, some masking tape, the fittings.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm not either which is why I would not risk it.

For the through hulls all you need is a cheap $4 hole saw and any drill, some masking tape, the fittings.
and the nerve to put a big hole saw to the bottom of your boat

Old 10-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Pretty simple really.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Pretty simple really.
definitely simple. i just remeber laying under the boat for awhile checking and double checking everything before i went at it.
use plenty of 3m sealant and you'll be fine.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Pretty simple really.
Can you show pictures of how you connected the to your ballast bags?