Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I have a friend who's brother was killed riding one of those back when we were kids. We all had motocross bikes and one guy had a Yamaha 3 wheeler. I never got the hang of the 3 wheeler. Apparently neither did my friend's brother. Unfortunately he was just goofing around on the pavement in the street in front of his house and like H2O said, it flipped when he was making a turn. This was back in the 80's.
Sorry to hear that.

Like Scott said it's all about the rider. We raced them hard for a decade without injury.

With the right rider they turn far better than the original quads with their heavy steering front ends. I'm sure the front geometry is much better now and the few I've ridden handle well, but we've never had an issue with a good rider on a three wheeler.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
I totally agree it was about the rider. Inexperienced, probably gave it the gas, flew down the street, went to turn, and bam. But still sad.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 35th Anniversary LQ9 Supercharged
Been staying at the Grand Hyatt in the DFW Airport at Terminal D the last 3 Sunday nights with all my in and out this month.

Nice view from the room.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
I have a friend who's brother was killed riding one of those back when we were kids. We all had motocross bikes and one guy had a Yamaha 3 wheeler. I never got the hang of the 3 wheeler. Apparently neither did my friend's brother. Unfortunately he was just goofing around on the pavement in the street in front of his house and like H2O said, it flipped when he was making a turn. This was back in the 80's.
I'm very sorry to hear that John. I know there was a lot of injuries and worse on them, seems the stories you read about them there could've been a lot more caution and rider training put in and there would've been less injuries etc. Too many parents just let their kids rip on them and suffered the pain of dealing with hurt children. My uncle had a couple of them, we were taught how to turn on them safely, and you can bet we got the serious talk each and every time we were getting on them.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Thanks Scott. The worst thing about this situation was that the 3 wheeler didn't belong to the kid who was killed. It was his friend's. They weren't out doing any real riding, he just took it for a little zip down the street. The kid who owned it at least had experience. Training was pretty much unheard of back then.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:04 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Thanks Scott. The worst thing about this situation was that the 3 wheeler didn't belong to the kid who was killed. It was his friend's. They weren't out doing any real riding, he just took it for a little zip down the street. The kid who owned it at least had experience. Training was pretty much unheard of back then.
I guess some things have improved, at least conceptually, since then.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk13 View Post
Sorry to hear that.

Like Scott said it's all about the rider. We raced them hard for a decade without injury.

With the right rider they turn far better than the original quads with their heavy steering front ends. I'm sure the front geometry is much better now and the few I've ridden handle well, but we've never had an issue with a good rider on a three wheeler.
Yes, like any motorized vehicle, you have to be careful and no your limits and the limits of the machine and what is it made of...

My wife and I have Big Red 200s that we ride up at the cottage and on the beach and my 7 year old daughter has a 70. Little man does not have one yet but he is only 3 1/2 but wants a dirt bike.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
Back in 6th grade a classmate and close friend was killed on a three wheeler. He was an experienced rider and was riding on a familiar trail with another friend and got tossed off and head on into a tree. Split his helmet open. Was not a good experience for a bunch of 12-13 year olds. To this day, he is still missed. That was 30 years ago and still remember like it was yesterday.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6
Old 11-05-2013, 03:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
Quote:
My ex- father-in-law made a few million as an attorney suing Yamaha over a 3-wheeler wreck. I do beleive there is definite human error but a teenager was paralyzed in the late 80's (and later passed away) when it flipped at a low speed. The rider was "larger" which raised the center of gravity a good bit. Sad and I know there are human errors but I'm glad they don't sell them anymore. Everyone has fun until someone gets hurt.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 LT1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tideengineer View Post
My ex- father-in-law made a few million as an attorney suing Yamaha over a 3-wheeler wreck. I do beleive there is definite human error but a teenager was paralyzed in the late 80's (and later passed away) when it flipped at a low speed. The rider was "larger" which raised the center of gravity a good bit. Sad and I know there are human errors but I'm glad they don't sell them anymore. Everyone has fun until someone gets hurt.
...and to clarify again...I know all about human error and more people have driven them safely and not been injured than those who have...the comment above about TRAINING is spot on...when I was a kid I felt 10 foot tall and bulletproof...I use to ride a Honda XR250R dirt bike over a hundred miles on a weekend without a helmet...just plain stupid.