Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 12:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Lightbulb Smoked Pizza Recipe - for CLRUSSEL :-)

Preheat smoker to 400 degrees with pizza stone on the cooking rack of the smoker. You will want the stone hot when you put the pizza on it. I leave the diffuser in place so heat is more even.

* Pre-made pizza crust - thin (uncooked). You could make your own dough if you prefer.
* Brush light amount of olive oil on to the top of the crust before adding sauce and toppings
* Apply desired amount of sweet barbecue sauce - my wife uses Sweet Baby Rays "Sweet & Spicy"
* Cut up pieces of previously smoked chicken and apply on top of sauces
* 1/2 small red onion - cut into pieces (obviously optional for those who don't like onions)
* 2 cups - mozzarella cheese (or more!)
* dice the leaves of fresh cilantro for topping (I prefer no stems)

Place pizza on pizza stone in smoker and cook for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees. Cheese should be well melted and crust lightly brown.

I use a competition blend of pellets in our smoker for this dish. I think it is a mix of Maple, Hickory and Cherry.

Disclaimer: I hope that posting this on TT doesn't get me band (or put in time-out) - I don't think I have seen a recipe posted here before. But @CLRUSSEL has been waiting about a year for this!!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Gracias amigo!!

To everyone try it!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:30 PM
MC Addict

Boat: nothing worth mentioning...
Sounds great! What type of smoker did you use? I use a big green egg and crank the heat up as hot as it will go, more like a brick pizza oven.

Former boats:
2003 Prostar 197 35th Anniversary
1990 Prostar 190
Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 Prostar 197
What day are we having pizza CL?

Thanks for the recipe - do you think it would work on a grill, slow cook style?

By slow cook, I put the wood chip box on the grill, left side of grill turned on high. Once the chips are smoking, I go to medium heat and put whatever i want to cook on the right side of grill that is turned off. It's made amazing chicken and ribs, i'm guessing the pizza would work too - what do you think?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscrib View Post
Preheat smoker to 400 degrees with pizza stone on the cooking rack of the smoker. You will want the stone hot when you put the pizza on it. I leave the diffuser in place so heat is more even.

* Pre-made pi~za crust - thin (uncooked). You could make your own dough if yoq prefer.
* Brush light amount of olive oil on to the top of the crust before adding sauce and toppings
* Apply desired amount of sweet barbecue sauce - my wife uses Sweet Baby Rays "Sweet & Spicy"
* 1/2 small red onion - cut into pieces (obviously optional for those who don't like onions)

Place pizza on pizza stone in smoker and cook for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees. Cheese should be well melted and crust lightly brown.

I use a competition blend of pellets in our smoker for this dish. I think it is a mix of Maple, Hickory and Cherry.

Disclaimer: I hope that posting this on TT doesn't get me band (or put in time-out) - I don't think I have seen a recipe posted here before. But @CLRUSSEL has been waiting about a year for this!!
My contribution:

King Author Pizza flour. http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...our-blend-3-lb

Recipe
1 pound 4 oz by weight flour
1 tea sp sugar
2 tea sp kosher salt
2 table sp EVOO
1 pouch dry rapid yeast
1.5 cups hot water 110 degrees

Combine flour, sugar yeast, and salt in mixer and blend

Once blended add water slowly then 2 tbl sp of EVOO beat on 4 until blended and forms a dough ball.

Remove dough ball and knead into round ball and place in oil lined container for 1 hour to rise.

Turn dough out and knead into smooth round ball and allow to rise one more hour in oil lined container.

Remove from container and knead into smooth ball and divide in half.

Roll out dough into 18 inch pizza dough.

This makes a very thin New York style pizza crust!!

We even make them over open fire at the river!
Attached Images

Last edited by CantRepeat; 02-16-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Sounds great! What type of smoker did you use? I use a big green egg and crank the heat up as hot as it will go, more like a brick pizza oven.
I have a Yoder YS640 pellet smoker. I am sure that any smoker that can maintain 400 degrees will work. I keep the lid closed as much as possible to keep the smoke flavor in. Pellet smokers don't generate as much smoke flavor as stick smokers, so I try to maximize the smoke. I have a couple of pizza stones that we only use in the smoker - they start turning browner (assumed from the smoke) the more they are used. I feel I get some smoke flavor from those as well.

I pre-slow smoke the chicken, that can even be done the night before. I think the combination of the tender smoked chicken and the slight smoke flavor the cheese and crust pick up are the key.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
My contribution:

We even make them over open fire at the river!
That looks awesome. I like the foil dome you created.

But man - I hate that style of campground fire pits. I ran into one in the middle of the night (might have had a few beverages). And split open my shin. Those things don't move!!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:08 PM

And never mind that big hole in the dough!!
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
That looks awesome. I like the foil dome you created.

But man - I hate that style of campground fire pits. I ran into one in the middle of the night (might have had a few beverages). And split open my shin. Those things don't move!!!!
lol, done that few times now. You're right, they cement them in!!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Quote:

* Pre-made pizza crust - thin (uncooked). You could make your own dough if you prefer.

We do basically the same thing (even the same sauce) with a couple of minor twist. We place the heat deflector on top of the grill and then the pizza stone directly on top of the deflector. Also, cook at 600 for 7-9 minutes. This is using a Kamado Joe (BGE).

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S