Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-24-2015, 04:22 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Car decisions, feedback needed.

Need some feedback with people who have hopefully had experience with these vehicles.

I am looking at a 2011 ford expedition limited and a 2013 yukon XL.

The expedition has 65k miles and a bunch of nice features (power gate, sunroof, nav, backup cam ect ect) Wife also prefers the expedition as it is a bit shorter but is willing to go either way. Price is 27,492 right now but girl I spoke to on the phone said it is the end of the month and they are motivated to sell the vehicle. Downside is it is a 2 hour ride.

Yukon has 72k miles and does not have many features (only one it has I think is backup cam).
Everything else is almost the same on both. Looks like I could get 25k with my trade in for the Yuk. If the yuk had a sunroof I would be sold.

Anyone have any insight they can provide to help me land on the decision. Vehicle will be mostly used as tow vehicle and possibility of throwing a lightweight plow to be able to do my house and my parents long winding driveway. Will be pulling the trigger this Saturday on one or the other.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:52 PM
TT Regular
Boat: 1992 ProStar 205
We have an 11 Expedition EL Limited and we really like it. Bought it used to replace an older (really older) Suburban primarily because the third seat folds into the floor whereas I had to remove it from the Suburban. I usually want the extra cargo room, but with the kids and their boy/girlfriends we sometimes have 6. If the Expedition you’re considering is not an EL it may not matter. IIRC the Limited comes with the towing package standard. It tows much better than the Suburban (99, 3.73, Limited Slip, Tow Package). Of course a PS205 is not the heaviest boat. I don’t know much about the newer Suburban/Yukon XLs. My son still drives the Suburban and it has held up well.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM
MC Fanatic
The expedition we are looking at is not an EL which is part of the concern. If it was an EL I would go with that all day. The trade off right now is the size and options. I know the Exp has a better towing capacity which draws me to it. Just want to make sure I dont by the Expedition and regret not getting the extra size that the Yukon XL has on it.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X-30
Suburban/Yukon XLs have the highest residual value of any vehicle in its class (depending on the survey). I don't have anything against the Expedition (nice vehicle) but there aren't anywhere near the same number of them on the road (at least in my area).
Old 11-24-2015, 05:34 PM
TT Hero
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
I can't comment about the Expedition, but I had an '07 Yukon XL Denali and I loved it!
Keep in mind I had all the options, navi, heated seat, heated steering wheel, power running boards, backup camera, power hatch, etc. And it had the 6.2 liter, very nice towing machine but not the best on gas.

I really liked the space in the back.....plenty of room for my Skyski and 2-3 wakeboards.
When using the 3rd row seat, passengers were actually comfy and didn't have their knees up into their chin!

A loaded Suburban might be worth the search, less money than the Denali but with most of those options....plus the 5.3 liter is pretty good on gas. (had one of those too)
I was njskier on here.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 PM
MC Addict
Boat: 2011 X25, 85 S&S
Downside of the expy... The 5.4

2011 X25-Wetsounds galore, GoSurfAssist equipped!
1985 S&S
Old 11-24-2015, 08:13 PM
MC Maniac
Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Earlier this year I bought a 2012 Yukon SLT, its plenty loaded enough for me. It is the one of the best riding vehicles I have ever owned. I was not crazy about the 3.08 rear end but it really has not been a big deal. One advantage with the Ford is the third row seat folds into the floor.

I vote for the GMC.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 PM
MC Fanatic
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Downside of the expy... The 5.4
Care to elaborate? You talking MPG or just overall power?

Like I said the Yukon is limited on options where as this expedition is pretty loaded.

Problem for waiting is that I am not sure how long my current Jeep is going to last (its in pretty rough shape since my wife had the accident).

Given our budget a loaded suburban/yukon XL with decent mileage is way to much (the amount of money they want for these vehicles used is stupid). This would be a 3rd vehicle for us so not trying to go to crazy but would enjoy those features if I can get a reasonable deal for them.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM
MC Fanatic
Boat: Med Blue 2012 X2, Illmor 5.7
Send a message via MSN to dpolen
I bought a 2013 Expy EL last fall...I had been looking for a used Suburban, Denali XL, Escalade...I was very disappointed as I thought the GM vehicles were overpriced on the used market, but the 6.2L engine really was a great motor. I'm really happy with my truck...put 30K miles on it, lots of room. Love the fact that I can fold the 3rd row flat. Only thing I don't love is the acceleration. Folding running boards are so nice for the wife and kids.
Mediterranean Blue 2012 X2
2013 Ford Expedition EL Limited

He who dies with the most toys wins...I'm losing right now!!!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 PM
TT Regular
Boat: 2014 X30 6.0
I have a 2010 Suburban with the 5.3 and it is terrible to tow with. It struggles to hold 80km/h up hills. I will tow short distances from my trailer to the lake but will not pull my boat 3hrs home with it. I have rented an expedition and felt it drove better but no experience with it towing.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk