Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 01:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
New Lake Home Build in Pensacola FL May 2014

I am starting a new home build in Pensacola, FL. I lived here a few times in my Navy career and retired to Tampa in 2011. Through several reasons, I was offered a job in Oct 2013 back in Pensacola, so I moved the family back. There is only one skiable freshwater option in Pensacola for lakes. It is only a 75 acre lake and is formed by 2 streams that are spring feed. It is earthen damed at one end. It has 3 different communities on it. One side is block homes from the 50's and 60's, one side are homes from the 70's/80s, and the 2 streams side has homes from the 90s (and a golf course). We explored all homes for sale on the lake over a few months, but nothing meet the wants that we had. The hardest thing to find is a 3 car garage. So, we purchased a lot at the end of a culisac one lot over from the golf course and on the lake.

We met with and talked with several builders, but could not find the right fit of house plan or price. So, we moved forward with an architect and designed a home that would fit our unique lot size. We started moving forward with building ourselves, but met with a builder that we liked and was very close to our budget.

We moved forward on a cost plus contract. So, in our minds, we can control or limit costs and cost overruns. We'll see.

We have the lot cleared.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 01:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

After that, we got the foundation started with digging footers. We have quite a slope, so our foundation will be two blocks high in the front right and the left rear will be 12-14 blocks high.
This process is slow as all block needs lots of steel and all walls were filled with concrete. As the fill is brought in, is goes in 2' high increments in order to do compaction tests. It's a lot of fill.
It will be a stem wall and slab form of building.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 01:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

It's a lot of block
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Elevation and floorplan
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Woohoo! Someone else gets to build one! Looks nice. We just finished up our marathon build but the results are great. Good luck with the build!

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

As you may have noticed, the lake is now "gone". About 6 weeks ago, Pensacola encountered 24" of rain in a 26 hour period. As a result, various areas flooded and many people lost their homes. The water level rose over the dam and it failed. As a result, the lake is down 2/3s. I now have a nice stream in the back yard, where the lake used to be.

Funding to rebuild the dam has been allotted. We (the Lakefront owners) are waiting on engineering and plans, then permitting, then funding, then bidding, and lastly rebuilding. It looks like the Nov/Dec time frame to rebuild. My home should be completed in the Dec/Jan timeframe.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
the fresh water around Pensacola, Pace for me is depressing :-(
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
Keep up with the detailed pics.. loves these home build threads gives us younger guys something to look foreword to
Old 06-24-2014, 04:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
As you may have noticed, the lake is now "gone". About 6 weeks ago, Pensacola encountered 24" of rain in a 26 hour period. As a result, various areas flooded and many people lost their homes. The water level rose over the dam and it failed. As a result, the lake is down 2/3s. I now have a nice stream in the back yard, where the lake used to be.

Funding to rebuild the dam has been allotted. We (the Lakefront owners) are waiting on engineering and plans, then permitting, then funding, then bidding, and lastly rebuilding. It looks like the Nov/Dec time frame to rebuild. My home should be completed in the Dec/Jan timeframe.
That sucks. Same thing happened to Lake Delton in Wi Dells, took them nearly two years to get it fixed up and full again. Your patience will be rewarded, and it sounds like your time frame will work out well to enjoy next summer for sure. Not a bad time to build, I guess.

And yes, please keep up the pics.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Keep up with the detailed pics.. loves these home build threads gives us younger guys something to look foreword to
x2..... can't wait to build my own house!