Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Motor blown up!!!?? 1008 hrs

Well,

Out on the river last night perfect water perfect weather head'n to the good spot.Get to where we ride idle down and boat dies.Look at temp its about 200 no alarms,no noth'n(normal 165)I'm thinking ok I sucked up some weeds or grass.Swim under boat.
Grate intake clean.
Unhook raw water line at trans cooler little debris not to bad,Pull out impeller and its perfect,so the motor is get'n water.
Let the motor cool down.Go to restart motor.Turns but won't start.
I gave it about 1/2 throttle.Motor starts,but is running rough.Gotta keep the throttle on or the boat will die.Start to head back to ramp.Temp is right at 165.
Pull the breather tube off the valve cover and smoke is blowing out the hole.If you put your hand over the hole oil particuls will be on your hand.Pull the dipstick up alittle and smoke is blowing out the dipstick tube.

Did a compresson check tonight....and its not good.
1 150
2-165
3-80
4-30
5-50
6-0
7-130
8-30

Don't know if it dropped rings,pistons.head gaskets..or all the above

This is nuts...I'm just sick over this.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft, 19 Skier, PCM Ford 351
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
I am sick over this also. I wish I had an answer for you. Any engine history out of the ordinary?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Sounds like a bad head gasket if you don't see water in the oil or an oil slick coming out the exhaust. Might be a cracked ring, as an alternative.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:25 PM
MC Devotee

No water in engine oil.

---Animal house
Old 09-21-2011, 11:31 PM
MC Devotee

heres a short video on my FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1731742052

---Animal house
Old 09-22-2011, 12:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar VRS200 1998 LT1
With so many holes at low compression, I would think she got real hot, scored the pistons and stuck the rings. I would be surprised if it's only head gaskets, since both banks have problems, but if you're lucky.... Sorry for the negative thoughts, but she's definately sick. You could do another compression check with oil in the cylinders and note the difference. It won't go up much if it's the head gaskets, but should make a lot of difference if it's scored pistons. You could also borrow a borescope and take a look inside the cylinders. On the up side, at least the season's pretty much over.

Saw you pics on Facebook- I think I know a couple of the owners of those rat rods you saw in Farmer City. I live near there. Were you going to Clinton Lake?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Both cyl banks? Not good.
If you overheated bad, I'd think you'd smell burning exhaust hoses too and it's noticeable!
How was/is the oil pressure? Maybe a bad oil pump quit pumpin', scored cylinders stuck the rings. (But you wouldn't have been able to drive it any distance back without seizing it up completely). Or timing chain jumped a tooth, hence the low comp, valves not closed when pistons at TDC, but again that shoudl affect ALL the cylinders about the same.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar, 1992, 351 Ford
Roll engine to top dead center on number one and see where the rotor is in relation to the cap for number one plug. If timing has made a big jump it should be easy to tell. If timing is close then I would then pull intake and heads. It will give you a visual.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldairboater View Post
Roll engine to top dead center on number one and see where the rotor is in relation to the cap for number one plug. If timing has made a big jump it should be easy to tell. If timing is close then I would then pull intake and heads. It will give you a visual.
I don't understand how this would change if it was a piston/ring issue?

With smoke coming out of the breathers it sounds like a ring and piston issue.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
It was strange that there was no high temp alarm that went off prior to engine shut down. Unfortunately I agree with the piston issue...a jumped timing chain would cause backfire via an open valve... You may want to do the compression test again and make sure the valves are in the close position when testing..with firing order ...1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 cylinder 6 may have valves all the way open and the other were partially open. numbers indicate IMO that crank looks close to number 1 cylinder at top dead center. Good luck...sooo sorry this happened.....