Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM
LYNRDSKYNRD's Avatar
LYNRDSKYNRD LYNRDSKYNRD is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Location: Alabama
Posts: 482
PCV Valve indmar 351?

Should my PCV Valve sound like a sewing machine at idle?? Reason I am asking is I was running the boat on the fake a lake and heard a rattling. Traced it back to the pcv valve which was chattering/cycling up and down. When I removed the valve and sealed the bottom o fthe pcv with my thumb the engine idle also seemed smoother. Just wondering if it was suppossed to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM
tommcat tommcat is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
Location: springfield,MA
Posts: 1,342
PCV valves that rattle are usually junk. just replace it
__________________
1997 Prostar 205, LT1 powerslot

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM
LYNRDSKYNRD's Avatar
LYNRDSKYNRD LYNRDSKYNRD is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Location: Alabama
Posts: 482
That's what I figured ...thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2011, 06:42 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommcat View Post
PCV valves that rattle are usually junk. just replace it
Good answer.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2011, 11:36 PM
LYNRDSKYNRD's Avatar
LYNRDSKYNRD LYNRDSKYNRD is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Location: Alabama
Posts: 482
Replaced....thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2011, 01:56 PM
macattack's Avatar
macattack macattack is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Location: Central FL
Posts: 393
Confused Did a quick Google search and all the results were pretty much the same...if you shake the PCV valve and it rattles then it is most likely good. Normally, when it does not rattle, the ball is gummed up with oil, etc and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Either way, a cheap replacement part...

"The PCV valve is a ball check valve. It allows air/gasses to pass in one direction but not the other. With the PCV valve out, you should be able to shake it and hear the ball rattle. Also if you blow in one end you should be able to blow through it but not from the other end. IF you can not blow through it from either end OR if you can blow through it from both ends it is bad.

The springs can get weak, the ball and assembly can become gummed up with oil. You can clean them with carburetor cleaner or kerosene. Let it soak in a small container of kerosene for a while and then shake it and blow it out."
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM
tommcat tommcat is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
Location: springfield,MA
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
Confused Did a quick Google search and all the results were pretty much the same...if you shake the PCV valve and it rattles then it is most likely good. Normally, when it does not rattle, the ball is gummed up with oil, etc and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Either way, a cheap replacement part...

"The PCV valve is a ball check valve. It allows air/gasses to pass in one direction but not the other. With the PCV valve out, you should be able to shake it and hear the ball rattle. Also if you blow in one end you should be able to blow through it but not from the other end. IF you can not blow through it from either end OR if you can blow through it from both ends it is bad.

The springs can get weak, the ball and assembly can become gummed up with oil. You can clean them with carburetor cleaner or kerosene. Let it soak in a small container of kerosene for a while and then shake it and blow it out."
it is supposed to rattle if you shake it, he said it rattled while running and it should not do that. google is wrong
__________________
1997 Prostar 205, LT1 powerslot

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
LYNRDSKYNRD's Avatar
LYNRDSKYNRD LYNRDSKYNRD is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Location: Alabama
Posts: 482
Mac thanks for the reply, tom is correct it rattles while the engine is running. I replaced it and shaking the new on next to old the old one seemed to have a much weaker spring.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 PM
macattack's Avatar
macattack macattack is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2008
Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Location: Central FL
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNRDSKYNRD View Post
Mac thanks for the reply, tom is correct it rattles while the engine is running. I replaced it and shaking the new on next to old the old one seemed to have a much weaker spring.
Great, thanks for the explanation! I missed the point of your initial PCV valve rattling while the engine was running; hence, the reason I started my initial reply with "confused." Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something since I'm always trying to learn something new off this forum! Glad the new one works! tks, mac
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.