Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
New update on the saga:
Mechanic/Tech just called and said that injector #5 is bad and staying open, so the good news is that this would explain why is was running badly even after having replaced the FPR, the bad news is that he stated that if 1 injector goes bad then others generally follow suit. So, my questions now are:
1) Could a bad injector cause the knocking/cackling noise I was hearing?
2) How likely is it that other injectors will soon follow in failure?

Thanks in advance.
Look, here's the bottom line ....believe it or not. I have been through this with 4 sets of injectors with the Duramax. You have a failure of the fuel rail, pump, and injectors. It is a commonly known and inherent problem that many have experienced. Go to any GM diesel forum and read about this issue multiple times.

Costs anywhere from $4,500 - $6,500 to have this isssue resolved and depending on the replacement parts, you may encounter it again sooner than later.

Pay up or get rid of it. Simple as that unless your GM people < spit > are willing to convince the warranty idols to pay for it. From my experience and opinion, the Duramax is crap. Always has been and always will be. I started with the LB7 (two of them - 2001 and 2002 models) and I am on my last Duramax in the LBZ engine (2007 classic body). As soon as I find a convenient time to swap, I'm going back to a gasser. Diesels this day and age in light trucks are nothing but a hobby. They do no real work with life-expectancy, trouble-free expectations.

Best of luck.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 10-06-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
[quote=tplane2;794207]From what I've been told: Yes, it would run the same as a Duramax. IIRC Dodge put them on the for longevity and ease of prime.
You are correct there are tons of Dodges with lots of miles, but how old are they really compared to Duramaxes. Are you thinking P-Pumps or the VP44 (?) from the CRD 03-07. The stock cp3 on a duramax lasts about 200-250k. Thats without any fuel demanding performance upgrade added. IMO thats not very long.

I was speaking of the CR Cummins. So do the Cummins CP3's really last that much longer with a lift pump? (Just asking, I don't have any high mileage experience with either although I own/owned both.)
Ease of priming is nice too, never have to prime after a filter change with the Dodge.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:54 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
New update on the saga:
Mechanic/Tech just called and said that injector #5 is bad and staying open, so the good news is that this would explain why is was running badly even after having replaced the FPR, the bad news is that he stated that if 1 injector goes bad then others generally follow suit. So, my questions now are:
1) Could a bad injector cause the knocking/cackling noise I was hearing?
2) How likely is it that other injectors will soon follow in failure?

Thanks in advance.
How many miles n the truck? Less than 100k I presume since yuo have it at the stealer.
All the other injectors don't necessarily follow. Besides the LLY on up engiens are easier to change injectors, I wouldn't do all 8 jsut because.
Did they check the balance rates like I suggested? That will tell you if any others are on the edge or not. Also if #5 was staying open, how much fuel did you push into the crank case? Was the oil level overfull?
I saw you other thread about the backorder.
Best suggestion I got is to get over on diesel place and let those guys steer you in the right direction.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN