Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 09-17-2011, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Question for diesel truck owners specifically GMC?

I have an 06 GMC D-max that threw a code yesterday, P0088, which is the code for Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too High and it causes the truck to greatly reduce power and it sounds more like a Cummins. So, I changed the fuel filter hoping that might resolve the issue but it has not and from looking on dieselplace.com it seems as though the Fuel Pressure Regulator is my likely problem.

So, my question is, will I hurt the truck by driving it until I can get it to my mechanic on Monday? Other than the power loss and the increased diesel engine cackle, everything seems fine.
I've posted this same question on dieselplace.com but thought someone on here might know as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
I wouldnt drive it too far unless absolutely necessary. while i dont know that engine specifically i know that with fords, engine damage can and does sometimes happen from fuel system issues and the gm system isnt too much different.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Ask on dieselplace. Lot's of helpful DMax gearheads on there, just like MC guys here.
Have you tried clearing the code and see if it runs better? Can use code readers at Autozone, etc for free.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
I have an 06 GMC D-max that threw a code yesterday, P0088, which is the code for Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too High and it causes the truck to greatly reduce power and it sounds more like a Cummins. So, I changed the fuel filter hoping that might resolve the issue but it has not and from looking on dieselplace.com it seems as though the Fuel Pressure Regulator is my likely problem.

So, my question is, will I hurt the truck by driving it until I can get it to my mechanic on Monday? Other than the power loss and the increased diesel engine cackle, everything seems fine.
I've posted this same question on dieselplace.com but thought someone on here might know as well.
Here's a place to start.... Good site, knowledgeable people....

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ighlight=P0088

Let it sit until Monday...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 09-19-2011, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Ask on dieselplace. Lot's of helpful DMax gearheads on there, just like MC guys here.
Have you tried clearing the code and see if it runs better? Can use code readers at Autozone, etc for free.
I have a nice Mac Tools code reader that comes in very handy for things like this and unfortunately, even with clearing the code the problem still persists. So, the truck is now sitting with the mechanic hoping that it is only the Fuel Pressure Regulator as was suggested by some of the threads on the various diesel forums.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I think the fpr is kind of a common failure. Never had ANY problems with my 02 LB7, so cannot comment. Not a large repair either.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-19-2011, 09:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Don't drive it too far, could cause damage to the injection pump. Usually damage is caused by low rail pressure, but too much pressure could also damage it.
The fpr could be faulty, or also the fuel rail valve could be stuck/bad. Could be a number of things, get a good scanner to go more in depth.
Just my .02 from a fellow LBZ owner...
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft,ps190,1991
It sounded like a cummins - so you gained power???????????????

Team Canada!!!!

Previously;
1991 Prostar 190 w/New Dimension tower
Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 1983 V8
We have a fleet of 2500HD's at work... wondering if you had an injector or two go out on you????
Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
MC Devotee

No update yet, the jury is still out as my mechanic is taking his sweet time....time to find a new mechanic I maybe!
From all of the posts I have read on other forums regarding this code, the FPR seems to be the common culprit follwed by possible injector issues and or lift pump.....my luck it will be all 3!

I'll let you know what the final solution is if I ever find out.
Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated.