Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Clarion remote on a CMD6 - need help identifying

Attached is a picture of the Clarion remote I have installed with my CMD6 head unit. I'm having issue with the two remotes (one on the stern and one next to the driver) where the buttons work, the LCD lights up, but is blank all the time. Strange that the buttons function (I can tell by watching the head unit react), LCD is lit, but nothing displayed on both remotes. I tried to identify the remote but I can not find anything that lokks like it on the Clarion web site. Any ideas what the model number of this remote might be? Any ideas on what the problem might be?
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2011, 07:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft 2007 X2 MCX
Make sure the connectors on the cable are tight. That remote probably has an extension cable up to the head unit. Check all of the connectors between the remote and the radio.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 AM
MC Devotee

I check what connectors I'm able to see. The wiring of an 2010 X-15 is fairly complicated and much is burried in the hull. Somehow, the radio is even tied into the BIG - I suspect via the remote port. I've disconnected the transom remote (just one less to troubleshoot). I've noticed that when I disconnect and reconnect one of the remote connectors, I get some thing on the LCD. So for example if the time is 7:10 on the radio display, the remote LCD gets that - then does not change. The remote LCD appears to keep that info displayed until the power is cycled. So it is almost like the head unit is not sending it information for the LCD and the remote is keeping what it last was sent by the head unit. This kind of fits in with the fact that the control buttons work but no LCD. Who knows. I've tried Reset and System Check and the problem still exists.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:12 PM
MC Devotee

Had the boat out this weekend. While underway I looked at the remote and oddly enought it had come back to life. I guess I'm going to have gremblins in my radio.