Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
question...at this point in the turn should my arms already be straight and knees bent?
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
You have the same issue I am having - you're putting the brakes on before you enter the wake. I ride left foot front and I am ok left cross, right cross I am weak. I keep working on dropping my hip - edge and play tug of war with the back of the boat. I watch that marcus brown video and I just don't get out enough....

From your pictures - I suggest continuing the cut into the wake - lean up a bit to get the tip down - but drop that hip and pull with arms straight....and then you'll slingshot wide... you'll know when you do it right..even on your boat you'll slice thru the wake...

Where do you ski Larue?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 AM
MC Devotee

We ski in NW Iowa and a couple of weeks in northern Minnesota.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 PM
MC Devotee

been making some improvements but noticed this week i was doing some tail skiing. Need to stay on balls of feet I suppose.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM

get those arms straight boys, your pull needs to come from the3 core, not the arms....
Old 09-10-2015, 04:33 PM
MC Devotee

Here is my latest attempt at trying to get a full pass at 15' off. I realize there is a great deal to critique in my form but what I'm trying to work on is getting more of the ski in the water during the turn which will allow ski to do what it wants- turn.

The bad form is a result of skiing open water for over 3 decades with a grip it and rip it mentality. Tail turning is evidenced in most of our old photos.

I first tried course skiing two years ago so I should be more consistent than I am currently. Sometimes I make three, other times I struggle to get 2, this time I made 5, (yes I missed the entrance gate and should have pulled hard for 6)

So my thinking for the turn is this...get my hips forward which will put more pressure on front foot which should result in more ski in water and better turn.

Advice welcome. https://youtu.be/Acn9zYIsy6k
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
Not too shabby. I like to visualize finishing my turn as I get to the buoy. Looks to me like you are starting the turn at the buoy. I really dig in as I pass the buoy and carry the edge through the wake right to the next turn. Just keep skiing and watch your videos. Compare with pros.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Supra Comp Ts6m
arms straight, handle at hips, squeeze you arms into vest, don't bend at waist. When you are coming into the turn bend at your ankles and get the weight forward to slow down. Your cut should be through both wakes and edge change at white wash.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Not bad...pretty smooth. Think of it this way; move your hips to the handle (or vice versa). Either way that will involve putting the rope at your core and help with your breaking at the waist.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1996 PS 190
I watched that video a few times, a lot of good things going on there LaRue, very symmetrical turns. To run 15-22 off you need good body position behind the boat. If you freeze frame the video as you initiate your gate shot you'll see you lead in with your shoulder letting your hips fall behind. This causes you to load early and by the time youre behind the boat you are coming off edge. this causes you to release early, ski narrow into the buoy, fall back on the line (or the tail), lead in again with shoulder and repeat. Kind of frustrating isn't it The best way to get your hips forward or hips to the handle is to drive your knees AND ankles. And the best place to start this process is from your gate shot, right from the start, you are just gliding, right? Pull out for the gate with level shoulders and by driving your knees AND ankles outbound(away from the course). Stand tall with a lot of front foot pressure and the handle low. Now the hard part. Keeping the shoulders level, drive your knees AND ankles towards the gates concentrating on keeping the arms straight and handle low. Stay on edge THRU the second wake and all of the white water, a nice slow release of the handle, a nice slow grasp of the handle, and see you at the end gates