Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
[quote=ntidsl;788677]such a difference on and off side can be corrected with proper hand grip...you holding the handle correctly? QUOTE]

I believe ntidsl is saying your grip on the handle appears to be backwards...Right Foot Forward (RFF) skiers, right hand facing down, left palm facing up on the handle and vice versa for LFF...this allows for a better power position. Here's a video link with Thomas Moore explaining it...mac

http://waterskimag.com/features/2010...fix-your-grip/
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 09-29-2011, 04:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
I totally disagree on hand position iv'e been I'm LFF and my left palm is up. Carl Roberge ski school dialed me in a long time ago
Old 09-29-2011, 06:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft PS197 TT, #31/100, MCX 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ky View Post
I totally disagree on hand position iv'e been I'm LFF and my left palm is up. Carl Roberge ski school dialed me in a long time ago
Spooky: This is an interesting comment...and please don't take my responses below in the wrong way!

Why would you "totally" disagree with majority of the top water skiers in the world that are using the handle grip that correlates to which foot is forward on their ski?

I am guessing you were "dialed" in over 10 years ago, since Carl Roberge's ski school closed about that time (maybe because he didn't change his hand grip , just kidding!). I remember when I was taught to slalom a "long" time ago, the only guidance I received was to hold the ski handle using a baseball grip/whichever way was more comfortable...no discussion on why. I believe Thomas Moore gives a pretty good explanation in his video on the benefits of a proper grip.

I'm sure, if you are a course skier, you have noticed there have been "numerous" changes over the years in skiing techniques...slow/fast at the buoy, west coast style, pull as hard as can, light on the line, etc, etc.

This is an evolving sport, new ideas all the time. Try the new grip, it actually may improve your buoy count; it did for me! mac
2005 ProStar 197TT, #31/100; Tournament PB 1.5 @ 38 off, June 2012
Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
I had the wrong hand grip for over 20 years. Jodi Fisher corrected me back in 06. Its funny sitting here in my office I cannot tell you how I hold the handle but when I changed to the right grip it made soooo much sense.

I love watching videos of the top and not so top skiers while I'm at work on the phone. Love watching Nate Smith right now. The more I watch the more I migrate toward better couter rotation, elbows on my hip's side, looking down course...I find myself skiing better.

Schnitz always has great videos.

Back to handle...my handle is usually side ways to its hard to say what is up or down but I'm pretty sure Mac is right...and he's got a great looking boat...lol...
Old 09-30-2011, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Lars is that an 05 too? I have #69 2005 TT 197.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack View Post
Spooky: This is an interesting comment...and please don't take my responses below in the wrong way!

Why would you "totally" disagree with majority of the top water skiers in the world that are using the handle grip that correlates to which foot is forward on their ski?

I am guessing you were "dialed" in over 10 years ago, since Carl Roberge's ski school closed about that time (maybe because he didn't change his hand grip , just kidding!). I remember when I was taught to slalom a "long" time ago, the only guidance I received was to hold the ski handle using a baseball grip/whichever way was more comfortable...no discussion on why. I believe Thomas Moore gives a pretty good explanation in his video on the benefits of a proper grip.

I'm sure, if you are a course skier, you have noticed there have been "numerous" changes over the years in skiing techniques...slow/fast at the buoy, west coast style, pull as hard as can, light on the line, etc, etc.

This is an evolving sport, new ideas all the time. Try the new grip, it actually may improve your buoy count; it did for me! mac
no its cool. it appears my hand position is a little dated and I should try the new hand position. although I read that some pros haven't made the switch yet.

HOWEVER, hand position doesn't help the OP as he is clearly skiing flat after each turn. although he should adjust his grip to not start out with a bad habit. He clearly needs to "grip and rip it" and not be afraid of the edge
Old 10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Prostar 197 2003 MCX w/perfect pass
I found these instructional videos by Terry Winter on you tube a few weeks back...they are good for all levels of skier and have helped me out with body position, elbows to vest, counter rotation of the upper body and hips in the turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eonxo...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmNcM...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTxT...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bhj...&feature=feedu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in5Se...ure=feedu_more

Tom
http://www.meetup.com/The-North-Phoe...-Meetup-Group/

Last edited by tlenard45; 10-10-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
akkk love this thread....the one thing -- ok i'll admit -- is my kohones shrink...as I approach the wake...when I punch out of the pre-turn and lean back...the acceleration is so cool.....and then gets a bit scary...its all about practice and face -planting a few times.....ok alot!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
well, i have taken 15' off the rope, changed my grip, striving to ski hip back to the handle and lean. couple of things still frustrate me.

1. While I am not getting bent over at the waist as much as last year, i still hit the wake to flat. Wish the laws of physics allowed for a Maristar to put out a 190 wake

2. i tend to ski heavy on the back of the ski during the final part of the turn. Any advice on how to keep more of the ski in the water?

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I printed off this thread at the beginning of the summer and read and reread it. You helped me take my recreational skiing to new levels. I need to find a course up here in the middle of corn and bean fields. Long live slalom!!
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 12:15 PM
MC Devotee

That's a tough situation. It's easier for me to sit and say, bite the bullet and slice thru that wake...but I haven't skied on anything but a small DD tournament boat in 15 years. My advice would be to be stable, knees flexed and don't be in any type of transition thru the wake. You want to make sure your body and ski are going the same direction when you land as behind a maristar you will leave the water...sorry!
To keep more ski in the water just think about it...move your center of mass between your feet during the turn and counter rotate. Watch this every day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COl8l...eature=related