Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
LaRue,

Try a couple of drills.

1) on one side of the wake do repeated pull outs...start just outside of the wakes, and then lean and go way out wide, then drift back to foam. You will learn to lean harder without have to worry about the wakes...do 10 or so on each side. Then ski normally.

2) Honestly, I know this sounds pointless, but it really helps...tie a short rope and handle to a tree. Work on your pulling position. Feel the difference between being stacked in a strong position and when you are out of balance and bent at the waist.

By the way..if you "pull" with your arms, you will come up off of edge. If you lean with your arms low and extended and hips up to the handle, you increase the angle of the ski (across the ski), getting more edge in the water.

You are breaking at the waist because you are pulling your arms in towards your chest (particularly on your weak side) before the turn has finished...try to ski your outside hip back to the handle. Don't pull/lean until this is completed. Then increase your lean progressively, with your hardest pull directly behind the boat. This is a little "old school', but I think you need to focus on leaning hard through the wakes to get the feeling of slicing through the wake instead of riding over it.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Jorski; 09-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Good position you got there Jorski!
Yeah Andre... I figured that I better put up a picture of someone who actually knows what they are doing...LOL!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
LaRue,
You are breaking at the waist because you are puling you arms in towards your chest (particularly on your weak side) .
i should know this but what side is my weak side and why?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
MC Devotee

You are a right foot forward skier...(it is the opposite for a left foot forward skier)

So when you turn to your right (skier's orientation), that is your strong side. In a slalom course you do better around balls 2,4 & 6.

When you turn to your left that is your weak side. In a slalom course you do worse around balls 1,3 & 5.

This has nothing to do with you per se...it's true for everybody. Generally, it is believed that it is caused your body being in a naturally open position on one's good side.

If you look closely at the video that you posted, you will notice that your turn is more complete on your good side, and you carry a better position through the wakes following your on-side turn. This also gives you better cross course speed.

Last edited by Jorski; 09-12-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
such a difference on and off side can be corrected with proper hand grip...you holding the handle correctly? Sorry bout mentioning the course...same tips apply but got you confused with another guy looking for cross the wake issues.

spend a few days with a pro...good excuse to go to orlando and hang out with jodi fisher or someone like that...its well worth it!

I skied with jodi fisher in the spring not being able to run the course and by mid summer I was skiing into 32 off.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
MC Devotee

really appreciate the help everyone. Great advice Jorski! I will have to find a waterproof iPad so i can look at this stuff while skiing
Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
LaRue where you located?
Old 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars View Post
LaRue where you located?
NW Iowa...about 4 hours south of the cities
Old 09-13-2011, 03:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
1) And shorten the line to 15' off.
I second this. Take the first white section and toss it, or use it to tie up the boat, but never use it to ski with regardless of skill level. Depending on your boat, you might even like 22 off better, but try both. Also, as others have stated, get your shoulders back and pull through the wakes.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Your cuts are good but you left off immediately after the turn. EDGE EDGE EDGE. Never ski flat and you are most of the time.

Also it looks like you are looking at the boat keep your head up and look where your headed not at the boat.

I spent a week at Carl roberge's camp in the mid 80's and this changed everything for me.

Don't be afraid of the speed your actually safer on edge than hitting the wake flat