Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-11-2015, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Wet suit Zipper location Chest or Back

Live in Michigan ~ air and water temps just get dang cold...for those who have the $alls to ski with a shorty with the water temps into the upper fifties and and lower sixties thats not me...So looking for a full length suit up grade...maybe a 4 or 3mm. The question is: On the newer suits, seams are taped, good thing as I always felt the cold water leaking through the blind stitch seems, now the question ~ chest entry zipper or zipper on the back of suit?

Two Concerns with chest entry: difficulty with putting a chest entry suit on, dono never tried one on. 2nd safety, zipper near neck slalom skiing, impact concerns: slalom skiing 34/36mph through the course with some higher speed impacts, anyone can guess what those are...50/60/70 done all of those.

So, I guess I'm leaning towards a Billabong SG 302 Solution 3mm suit with taped blind stitched seems and the zipper on the back.

Any one slalom with a chest entry wet suit?

Preference: O'Neill / Billabong

Last edited by Fullpass; 09-11-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X-30 7.4 L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
Live in Michigan ~ air and water temps just get dang cold...for those who have the $alls to ski with a shorty with the water temps into the upper fifties and and lower sixties thats not me...So looking for a full length suit up grade...maybe a 4 or 3mm. The question is: On the newer suits, seams are taped, good thing as I always felt the cold water leaking through the blind stitch seems, now the question ~ chest entry zipper or zipper on the back of suit?

Two Concerns with chest entry: difficulty with putting a chest entry suit on, dono never tried one on. 2nd safety, zipper near neck slalom skiing, impact concerns: slalom skiing 34/36mph through the course with some higher speed impacts, anyone can guess what those are...50/60/70 done all of those.

So, I guess I'm leaning towards a Billabong SG 302 Solution 3mm suit with taped blind stitched seems and the zipper on the back.

Any one slalom with a chest entry wet suit?

Preference: O'Neill / Billabong
Get yourself a Camaro Black Tec 2.0. It is light, flexible and fits like a glove. I have worn it down to 45 degree water temps and been very comfortable. Rear entry. It is truly remarkable how warm the 2 mm keeps you. Only downside is that it is very susceptible to damage/scratches
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Rear zip.

Also recommend checking out the Eagle Drysuits if you're ballsy enough to go below 60F water temps. Reasonable price, durable, and effective if you don't mind the extra bulk on a slalom run. May not work if you're short lining at higher speeds. If you're careful with the neck/ankle/wrist seals sitting smooth to those areas, you can wear sweats or jeans underneath.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

yes still researching, DocPhil...will take a look at the camaro black tec 2.0, also moosehead had used some drysuits before, warm, kind of bulky...drag in the water, and once a little water gets past the seal, your wet, but its been a while since I had a drysuit on, but defiantly will look at the Eagle drysuits...things can change..never know

Also guess had been looking at some outdated Billabong suits, now looking at some Billabong furnace pro's...come along way in just a few years...So still looking
Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

LOL on me...looking into the Camaro suit, nice 3 year repair warranty, no matter where you bought it...bad new for me...make std size up to 185lb...I'm 15lbs over std size. hmm they do/can make a custom for me...turn around time...maybe next year for a Camaro. still looking
Old 09-11-2015, 01:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
When it gets real cold I use the Oneill hybrid drysuit. Easy to put on, easy to take off and remain pretty dry and warm. Neoprene seals so under a hard wipe you may get some weepage but generally stay dry. Fits like a wetsuit also, and is not baggy.

Just my $.02
Old 09-11-2015, 08:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
I have an O'Neill Heat 3Q-Zip backzip 4/3mm Fluid Seam Weld Full. For a reasonable price it is a pretty decent suit. I used it pretty extensively over the winter this past year and it is still like new. I do get a little water entry on the back zipper when first getting into the water. If I were to do it over again I would be 50/50 on kicking a few extra dollars to get the O'Neill that has the ZEN Zip closure system instead - http://us.oneill.com/shop/psycho-freak-zz-4-3-ssw/

With a 4/3 I'm pretty comfortable in mid-50's water temps. On cool air temp days I found the hands to be the weak link. I broke down and got a pair of O'Neill 1.5mm Psycho DL Gloves - http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-1-5mm-P...wetsuit+gloves
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 09-11-2015, 08:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
Chest entry was basically created to help with flushing when duck diving waves and taking his on the back of the head. I have a 4/3 Oneill mutant that I wear when I surf in February in Canada, but I think that's a bit much for the lake. I have a 2mm Billabong Foil I wear in the early/late season and the back zip in nicer for easy exits.

I don't think there's any benefit to a chest zip behind the boat.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

GoneBoatN...if you have a size XLS...just shoot me a PM for a price...looked at the O'Nell ZZ...nice and so they say in my size.. If the weather is nice..say some warm sun rays...been in the water late fall and very early spring..but pretty much stay in the water in the 60's...but a better suit could also get me into some Lake Michigan Fall waves and a new sport for me...

AlbertaSurfer...all good info

keep them coming...great to hear from the horses mouth so to speak.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Liking this: 3/2 Psycho Freak at HBC.COM $407 DANG... REAR ZIPPER THOUGH

The 15/16 O'Neill Psycho Freak is the replacement for the discontinued Psycho 3 wetsuit.

Water Temp: 58 - 70
Air Temp and Wind: 35 - 80
Excellent stretch, flex and water rating. Excellent Wind and Air. Excellent durability. Best suited for cool to cold water and cold to moderate air temps down to the low/mid 30's with light to moderate wind. All new TechnoButter 2 neoprene is unreal light, hydrophobic and warmer. THe TB2 AIr Firewall really makes a difference with colder air and water temps.

All new for 2015/16, the Psycho Freak blends the best features from the Psycho 3 and Psycho Freak of the past. The lightest firewall ever produced with O'Neill's TechnoButter 2 Air-Insulation and rapid drying TechnoButter Neoprene make this highly innovative,technical design the best performing wetsuit available.

Double Super Seal Neck
Double SuperSeam Weld (Watertight Stitchless Technology)
TechnoButter 2 Neoprene
TechnoButter 2 Firewall Neoprene
TechnoButter 2-Air Firewall Neoprene
Super Seal Cuffs
Krypto Knee Padz
External Key Pocket with Loop
Plasma Wrist and Ankle Seals
Patented Z.E.N. Zip Closure System with Drainhole
Strategic Seamless Paddle Zones

Super Seam Weld - Double Superseam Weld 60% thinner and lighter (Stitchless) silicone-based urethane seal applied to both sides of a triple glued seam.

Technobutter 2 and Technobutter 2-Air Firewall - Neoprene The most advanced super stretch neoprene available on the market. 20% lighter, 30% less water absorption, improved durablity with quick dry properties.

O'Neill Psycho Freak 3/2 Men's Wetsuit 15/16 4564