Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 09-11-2011, 06:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Poor position approaching/crossing wake

as i come out of slalom turn i seem to have good position for just a second and then get bent over at the waist as i approach wake. Video. Video . Any advice out there on how to keep angle/good position crossing the wake? Skiing 75' at 32-33 mph.

Last edited by LaRue; 09-11-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
You are crossing the wake with a flat ski. Your turn is smooth but you flatten out as you approach the wake, This is causing you to bounce across the wakes and is throwing off your balance. You did not look too bent to me.
The flattening of the ski across wakes is common on skiers who feel they have too much speed approaching the wake. Flattening out the ski slows you down, but right at the wake is not good because it can cause breaking at the waist and can result in endos over the top of the ski.

So, to fix this I suggest you limit how far out from the wake you go. Stay close to the wake and turn to the wake, concentrating keeping the ski on edge through the wake. Arms straight, back straight and lean back, keep your knees bent. Once you get used to "slicing" through the wake, you can move your turns farther and farther out from the wake. Practice, practice, practice. It will not come overnight!
Old 09-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Skipper

How you approach the wake first depends on the finish of your turn. You should allow your ski to finish the turn before you grip the handle with your free hand and begin to pull. Then, make sure you have a good leveraged position with the handle low at the hips to prevent being pulled over-the-top. Finally, keep the ski on its edge while you pull hard across the wakes.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
wish i could help ya. I'm in the same boat, I posted a similar video looking for comments over in the waterski section.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I am in the same wake..lol... What helps me get closer is to keep pressure on the back foot, I keep the rope armed but at waist level...and try...try... to keep squared to the ski.... but you can only get so much better skiing once a week....
Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 190 with LT1
1) finish the turn...you are stopping. The turn is finished when your hips ski back to the handle.

2) Once you have finished the turn, LEAN. Hips at handle, arms relaxed and extended...in a stacked position - hips forward, butt in line with ankles, chest proud and over your hips.

Like this:

3) Pull through the wakes in this position, with your elbows tucked at your sides, continuing outbound, two hands on the handle until you feel the rope pull you in to the pre-turn.

Then, do it all over again!

And shorten the line to 15' off.

Last edited by Jorski; 09-12-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
Thanks for the tips. yea, that photo is what i see in my mind's eye but not in reality. i will try to finish turn. really like the tip that the turn is not done until hips are back to rope. hopefully i can get out a few more times up here in IA.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorski View Post
1) finish the turn...you are stopping. The turn is finished when your hips ski back to the handle.

2) Once you have finished the turn, LEAN. Hips at handle, arms relaxed and extended...in a stacked position - hips forward, but in line with ankles, chest proud and over your hips.

Like this:

3) Pull through the wakes in this position, with your elbows tucked at your sides, continuing outbound, two hands on the handle until you feel the rope pull you in to the pre-turn.

Then, do it all over again!

And shorten the line to 15' off.
Good position you got there Jorski!
Great tips!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X7, 2004, Yellow
Agree with jorski. Been having the same issue on my 1,3,5 and was forceing the turn and not skiing my hips to the handel
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 197 TT
elbows in really helps!!! hips up, elbows in..."there is no wake"...and don't ski to ball then turn...ski to a predetermined point in front of ball and ski around ball smoothly..its so much easier to ski this way...you are working way too hard the way you are skiing...relax your mind, flex your chest, roll your shoulders back, elbows in knees bent...relax your mind really help. There seesm to be so much to think of on a course, but when you dont think and get a rhythm its easier.