Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
I want more power and a project

Ok, before the flames start a little disclaimer: I am not Hooligan, nor am I related, nor have I ever met him. That being said, I am interested in doing a little engine work on my 97 PS205 with the 275hp, EFI, 350 chev.

My reasoning for wanting to do some mods are as follows:

1. I have 4 boys and would like to teach them how to work on stuff.
2. Winter is coming and we need a project.
3. I have never done any internal engine work and would like to learn.
4. While 275hp pulls up all 195lbs of me pretty darn quick here in Oklahoma where the elevation is 1100ft, when we took the boat to Lake Powell which was about 3700 ft, it felt like it took about twice as long to get up.
5. With a few more HP I could turn a bigger prop which would help the boat hold a more consistent speed when loaded down with 1500lbs ballast plus people when we are boarding and surfing.
6. Bigger is always better right?

Why I should just leave it alone:

1. I have never done any internal engine work and would like to learn. (#2 above)
2. It works fine now and the biggest enemy of good is better.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 90 prostar 190
Kind of on board with leave it alone. Maybe a different prop? That being said bigger is often better!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 prostar190
Is that a TBI engine?
Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2014 MasterCraft X30
Leave it alone and get a cheap old car or truck to work on. Then let the boys drive it in HS. They would have the experience of working on it and have time invested in it. Just a thought.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 PROSTAR 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
Leave it alone and get a cheap old car or truck to work on. Then let the boys drive it in HS. They would have the experience of working on it and have time invested in it. Just a thought.
If you got this route get an old jeep....but I am not against working on the boat either.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxX2 View Post
Yea, we've thought about this too. We've been looking for a mid 70's F250 4x4. I would love to do a frame off Jeep build with my son, but when I started telling my wife about it and got to the part about a lift and 35" tires she got all worried about the boys driving it and outlawed any lift. A jeep without a lift is like America without apple pie. Also thought about getting a 5.0 mustang and bolting a few things on to make it fast, but I don't think any young boy, or old one for that matter, can resist all that power, and I'm not to intrested in peeling my kid off a telephone pole. I figure with a truck they can put a lot of sweat into it, and then they will take better care of it.

This still doesn't help me with desire for more power. I already talked with Erik at OJ and he said I'm running the right prop, so I'm back to either leaving it alone, or messing with it.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig View Post
Is that a TBI engine?
Yep .
Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
dont "learn" engine repairs on your boat unless you have a spare

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
I say go for it, you'll never "learn" if you don't do it. I wish my dad had done projects like this with me, I started "learning" when I was 14 on a 69 dodge charger. You can do a top end kit for around $2000 and it would be a nice performer. The only thing that might be an issue is the mefi controller b/c its a speed density system but their are parts out there that are designed to work with stock computers. And you might have to research to see if the tbi intakes are the same as in the cars, if they are then you could have a screamer not a hooligan.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 09-13-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
I say go for it, you'll never "learn" if you don't do it. I wish my dad had done projects like this with me, I started "learning" when I was 14 on a 69 dodge charger. You can do a top end kit for around $2000 and it would be a nice performer. The only thing might an issue is the mefi controller b/c its a speed density system but their are parts out there that are designed to work stock computers. And you might have to research to see if the tbi intakes are the same as in the cars, if they are then you could have a screamer not a hooligan.
If I had this boat, I would look for a Vortec marine engine, like they used starting in '98. That's rated at 310HP. If I wanted to go for a less expensive solution, I would go with roller rockers/lifters/cam and a more efficient intake manifold. However, the ECM calibration still won't be "correct" unless the replacement engine is just like the newer TBI and the ECM is recalibrated for something closer, which will be tough considering the fact that the '99 Prostar hull is different from the '98.