Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-07-2011, 05:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
ballast hose/Impellers

So... some background:

my port and starboard 750's were filling unevenly, the port would beat the starboard to full every time, thus i thought this might be an impeller issue.

Took a wakeboard set a few weeks ago as well. Still recovering from knee surgery so i can just ride around, not comfortable enough to jump yet. Told the driver i didnt need any ballast and to drain the KGB, which was the only about 1/2 full at this point. Took a LONGGGG set just trying to build up the endurance. when the boat came back around to pick me up... i could hear the ballast pump running still. I was like ffff my impeller's shot. Might as well go buy a whole new set...

So, go to the dealer, pick up a new set of impellers. pulled out the old yellow ones... they're all in perfect shape. After installing the green ones i notice the port sac is still beating the starboard sac. after the day is over, pull the sac out and realize the ballast line is kinked. Thinking about upgrading all the ballast hose in the boat to the fly high 1'' sutff. There anything better out there, or is that it?
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 97 Prostar 205 LT1
the flyhigh hose is supposed to be the exact same hose that MC uses from the factory so i dont think that would really be any kind of an upgrade.
look at some of the options from wakemakers, maybe it's better?

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy
Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
The MC hose, at least in my 2008, is the same as the hose sold at Lowes/Home Depot for Jacuzzis. But they often only stock it in white. Exceptionally hard to kink.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
My 02 has heater hose for the ballast lines............it's crap as a ballast line.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Boat: 06 X30
My 06 has the same 1" hose that wakemakers.com sells. It has a white inner coil in it.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
so..wakemakers and fly high have the same stuff? sounds like that's my best bet.

Second question:
I have 3/4" line. I'm obviously going 1" this time around, but had anyone thats made the jump noticed any improvment in fill times?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Will - Wakmakers has the same stuff as stock MC in black. It is just Spa hose you can get at Home Depot or Lowes, but I have only found it in White, not sure that matters to you. Double check though, I think you have check valves and your pump mounts, if you go to 1" you will need 3/4" to 1" step up fittings.

I have about 5' of black and 5' of white if you want to cut a piece to try it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-1, 2007
When I got my boat I switched out the 250lb hard tanks for 400lb bags and put in 1" hose from wakemakers. Didn't do anything with ballast timers and my bags fill all the way up without the timer shutting off the pumps. I think 1" hose makes a difference.

I'm thinking of going up to 750's this winter so I might have to do something with the timer.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X-1, 2007
All you need to go up to 1" hose is remove the 3/4" hose barb from the outlet side of the pump and slide the 1" hose directly on the pump. Last time I checked Home Depot it was cheaper to get it from Wakemakers. It's only $1.49/foot at wakemakers.