Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > For Sale: Boats

Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM
rwschill

1994 ProStar 205 Value

I am new here so I hope this is OK to post here. I have never owned a tow boat before and need some guidance. This 1994 PS 205 is local and in rough condition. The rear seat, observer seat and the front V seat have seams that have ripped. Engine cover has about a 6 inch area where the seam has come apart. Entire interior is dirty and milddew covered. Floor is dirty with brown stains. Radio does not work. MC trailer is dirty but looks OK. The exterior is purple over white hull (is this original MC color? Also small amount of purple color inside)) with lots of fading and oxidation and the nose just above the rail has been hit and sort of fixed with bondo type material but not repainted. Windshield frames chipped need the black paint redone. Motor is 5.7 EFI and seems to check out. Mechanic who has serviced it the last several years claims motor is good. Shows 750 hours. Boat runs at 42-43 MPH. Has cover showing age. Is this boat worth $5000-$6000 as it sits. How much should a person plan on spending on fix-up assuming the motor is OK so that eventually it could be sold for I would have in it or so.
Thankyou for the help.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwschill View Post
I am new here so I hope this is OK to post here. I have never owned a tow boat before and need some guidance. This 1994 PS 205 is local and in rough condition. The rear seat, observer seat and the front V seat have seams that have ripped. Engine cover has about a 6 inch area where the seam has come apart. Entire interior is dirty and milddew covered. Floor is dirty with brown stains. Radio does not work. MC trailer is dirty but looks OK. The exterior is purple over white hull (is this original MC color? Also small amount of purple color inside)) with lots of fading and oxidation and the nose just above the rail has been hit and sort of fixed with bondo type material but not repainted. Windshield frames chipped need the black paint redone. Motor is 5.7 EFI and seems to check out. Mechanic who has serviced it the last several years claims motor is good. Shows 750 hours. Boat runs at 42-43 MPH. Has cover showing age. Is this boat worth $5000-$6000 as it sits. How much should a person plan on spending on fix-up assuming the motor is OK so that eventually it could be sold for I would have in it or so.
Thankyou for the help.
Pictures would help all of better evaluate the boat. Color sounds like one I have seen before. Everything sounds the same as mine so if you have any questions, let me know.

Pictures below. Mine is the Blue, Gray, Raspberry. The second pictures shows a Black, Gray, Blue color scheme.
Attached Images

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
I would say yes, its worth the $$. In good condition, that would fetch 12-13K in the midwest. More if it wasn't purple.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Hard to tell without pictures, but that price seems really low for that model, which is very popular because the 1st Gen. 205 only had two 100% fuel injected model years (FI was optional in 93). Seems to be consistent with the condition described.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Past: 1994 PS 205 --> Now: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Hard to tell without pictures, but that price seems really low for that model, which is very popular because the 1st Gen. 205 only had two 100% fuel injected model years (FI was optional in 93). Seems to be consistent with the condition described.
Agreed. If it is fully functional from a mechanical standpoint, it seems like a fair price.

"Magna opera Domini exquisita in omnes voluntates ejus" - James Clerk Maxwell, physics pioneer, 1874
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
I have the same boat. I would buy it 10 time again. Mine was dirty, horrible gel condition, and torn seats. These things are cosmetic. My family cringed when I bought it. I knew what I was getting since I skiied this boat growing up. Now they are proud of it all cleaned up. It pulls like a bull and runs super well, as ETS points out, EFI is a game changer. Post pix please. Here are some pix of ours...
http://www.johnjmorris.com/2009/2009...Pix/index.html

To answer a few of your questions: yes, I think 5-6 is a good price. I bought mine for 7 and have put maybe a grand into it. It can be sold for that tomorrow, I believe. I have a couple friends lining up for when I upgrade. But I am not so sure I want to. This puppy fits in my garage, is paid for, and is super reliable.

Last edited by JJMorris3; 09-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:02 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
If it is mechanically sound that is a very good price. Very desirable model especially with fuel injection. If you want a best in show stay away...if you want a fun boat then test it on the water, get a marine survey, and buy it and have a blast

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
MC205PSTAR

Double D I ate at that resturant last year when i was traveling through. Nice boat same color as my 205
Old 02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC205PSTAR View Post
Double D I ate at that resturant last year when i was traveling through. Nice boat same color as my 205
Upstairs or outside? Weekend or weekday? Its pretty good.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200vrs
DoubleD, that is a good pic of our boats together.