Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 08-02-2005, 01:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 M/C Stars-n-Stripes 351ci
Prop and Shaft slide out

Last Saturday we were on our way out to meet our friends in our 1981 S&S. Our son was driving and my wife and I were sitting in the back seat when the boat started to rumble really bad then it seemed to smooth out,about a minute later there was a big K-Bang. We coasted to a stop and I dropped anchor.When i looked under the boat the prop and shaft were resting against the rudder,after a long tow back from the Sheriff at Don Pedro we could'nt really tell what happened everything was connected to the trans. I'm gonna pull the floor up and look closer this week.Anyone have any ideas what might of happened.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1
not really but the only way that could happen is if the shaft sheared off somwhere between the tranny and the strut.. you say the shaft was still connected to the tranny but the shaft and prop were resting against the rudder? weird.... maybe you hit a stump? i got no clue
Old 08-02-2005, 07:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 95 PS 190 EFI
Send a message via AIM to jimmer2880
When you figure it out, pls let us know... I'm at a loss for words also.
"I kept a crabgrass free lawn"
It's time to SKI.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:51 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
I had something siomular happen when I was skiing behind a friends "new to him" 81 CC a few years ago. The prop shaft twisted off right behind the strut.
As it turns out previous owner replaced the shaft with a home made shaft made out of inferior material.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC Maristar 225 VRS 1994 350TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslot82
I had something siomular happen when I was skiing behind a friends "new to him" 81 CC a few years ago. The prop shaft twisted off right behind the strut.
As it turns out previous owner replaced the shaft with a home made shaft made out of inferior material.
Friends Supra made a funny noise like that.. He apparently went over the "rock reef" at Crescent lake OR. When he lifted up his engine cover the shaft was gone and water was pouring in through the hole where the shaft was supposed to be.. Good thing his bilge pump was working........
Old 08-02-2005, 10:48 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Check for the following:

prop shaft is loose inside coupler at back of trans. When you go in reverse, the shaft "pulls out" of coupler, when you go forward, it goes back into coupler.

broken prop shaft???

engine/trans. has "slid back", which would be rare. Check motor mounts and trans. mounts. Check your stringers for rot (yours are wood, right?)

Let us know what the outcome is. Good luck.