Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-04-2011, 08:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Masrercraft, X-30, 2004, Indmar 5.7
Fuel pump relay

My boat died last weekend and ended up taking to MC dealer (04 X-30 with Indmar 350 MCX). They replaced the fuel pump and said the relay was the cause for the engine not having spark. It ran fine all day yesterday until late when we were headed out for a couple runs. My son was helping drive and hammered the throttle pretty hard. Harder than I had all day. It started to accelerate and shut down. I pulled out the relay and pin 30 was hot enough there's melted plastic. Looking back my Battery alarm went off three times during the day... Twice when it really shouldn't have. Not sure if that's related or not. Could a voltage drop cause heat to spike enough to melt the relay? I checked voltage on both batteries and was 12.5 V.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star 330 HP
Send a message via Yahoo to rem_pss308
I had a simular problem a few weeks ago. Mine would just shut down, and not get fuel. My relay was very hot to the touch. JimN brought up a good point. If its getting hot then there could be a problem somewhere else.
I cleaned all my battery terminals.( didnt think they needed it, but turns out to repair the problem. Boat has ran fine the last three times out.

Low voltage. and connections can cause all kinds of weird stuff with these newer boats.

1999 X-star, 330 LTR, Zero FLex tower.