Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 04-06-2013, 03:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 MasterCraft X2
Looking for a lift for my 2006 X2 as well, what did you end up getting?

Curious on the width and what it would take to convert a standard lift to accomodate an MC?

I found one that is a 3500# one I'm going to look at today, but concerned it is on the verge of not being big enough?

Also would like to put a canopy on it to protect it from the sun, etc. and good to know I can also consider a pontoon lift - thanks for the tips!
Old 04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2011, Indmar 5.7L RTP
An X2 is around 3,500 lb. Add ski/wake gear, beverages, extra battery and a few passengers prior to lowering lift and you will be over 4,000. I owed a 4,000 lb lift prior to the purchase of an X2 and never put the boat on it. I was concerned it would not adequately support it. Consequently I purchased a 5,000 lb ShoreStation. I highly recommend nothing less than a 5,000 lb lift for an X2.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If we're talking the 3000 lb and the 4000 lb ShoreStation I was told the only difference between models was the winch. You may want to call ShoreStation to verify. I would also highly recommend the wider 120" model. I sold my 100" ShoreStation because it would barely fit.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
I dont know if this will help but I have seen this lift get very popular on lakes. It a sunlift by Sunstream. They are very well made. Many on TT have them. Maybe a owner of this lift can respond

http://sunlift.com/Sunlift.htm
Old 04-07-2013, 12:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
2010 Mastercraft X2

Here's mine sitting on my new to me 4000lb hydrohoist lift. The 4000lb has no problems however the 6,000lb lift did raise it a lot higher than the 4,000lb, but all I care is it is out of the water!

JG
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
For lift set up -

When you have a V-Drive boat you need to make sure you don't let the boat hang too far back on the lift - lots of weight in the engine. DD's you can let the boat be further back with fewer issues.

Bunks, You want to make sure that the bunks are high enough that tracking fins/underwater gear won't foul up.

Otherwise lower is better. You also want to transfer the measurements of the trailer bunks to your lift. MC has those bunks measured out to support the boat under the stringers in the hull - which is very nice. Cheat and set hose up.

Also you want to make sure the boat is centered on the frame so do all measurements based off a center measurement.

Finally - some lift companies piss me off. Shore station being one of them. They provide those carpeted "side" bunks to center the boat on the trailer. While they seem nice - they are below the rub rail and mess up your graphics on the boat, particularly the vinyl Mastercraft logo, and raised logos.

You want to replicate what your trailer guides are like. Get U bolts and some 1.5" galvanized pipe, set it up with PVC plastic tubing slipped over so that when your boat is coming on/off the lift the PVC will "roll" along the rub rail instead of those bunks messing up the hull.

You also need something to keep you from coming onto the lift too far, this will make sure that you are on the lift all the way, and that no one will get the prop into the lift.

Easiest I've found is to place a PVC pipe crosswise so it contacts the front tracking fin. It will bend out of the way if you bump it.

Neighbor has a 4X4 treated board screwed to the lift frame to do the same, but I've seen his mother run the front tracking fin into that hard.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM
TT Newbie

Lift Bunks, Increasing Weight Limits, Canopy, Cover

88 PS 190:
Excellent tips for a newbie looking to buy into a used lift, 88 PS 190, thanks! Ideally, would love to "try it" before buying, but obviously that is not an option this time of year, so this really helps!

One question, I get why you recommend comparing the bunks on the trailer to the lift, but what do you mean by "Cheat and set hose up."?

All:
1. How about converting a lift to have bunks, any recommendations? Things to consider? Where to get the kit?
2. Can a guy switch out the winch/cable to increase the weight limits?
3. Can a guy raise the canopy to accomodate the tower on pretty much all lifts?

Lastly, looking at jmorone's pic, as awesome as it looks, I'm assuming this is on your property. I love the idea that I can let it air out and take only minutes to hop in and go, etc but I'm considering this to go in a private party slip, do I dare leave it this open or do I put my cover on it too if I'll be back inside of a week? Or am I just being over concerned?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
TT Newbie

Haven't heard anyone talk about cantilever vs vertical? pros/cons?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleE View Post
Haven't heard anyone talk about cantilever vs vertical? pros/cons?
I think the vertical lets you get into some shallower water.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleE View Post
Looking for a lift for my 2006 X2 as well, what did you end up getting?

Curious on the width and what it would take to convert a standard lift to accomodate an MC?

I found one that is a 3500# one I'm going to look at today, but concerned it is on the verge of not being big enough?

Also would like to put a canopy on it to protect it from the sun, etc. and good to know I can also consider a pontoon lift - thanks for the tips!
You'll want the 120" wide model. You'll be able to load with racks out assuming you're coming in well aligned and you forgot to swing them in (not with boards though).

You'l want the 4000 + class lifts 4500 - 5000 ideal.. even if they lift could technically handle the load the winch reduction gearing will be key... i.e. how much oomph it will take to lift the boat.

Many companies are offering a tower friendly option.. I went with Sunchaser universal canopy. They were good to work with as they offered custom canopy that added a valence that was shorter than their web advertised tower canopy yet still offers pretty good coverage.

You can't user the trailer measurements for a direct bunk setup because the master craft trailer has different bunk widths in the back compared to the front and the stepped hull. So you need to do a trial/error fitup based on the bunks getting wider as they go back.. The balance is keeping it nicely aligned in the strakes/chine not going over any under hull gear like pickups and getting wide enough in the back. It was a few trials and error to dial it in.

X2 doesn't have tracking fins but still nice to go with ski height bunks to allow it more flexibility and room for error on the running gear.

You don't HAVE to have a front stop.. I typically handle it by only lowering the cradle enough to just get it on. Also having the lift or bunks ever so slightly pitched back helps.. somewhat like loading on a trailer. I have a reference place that I load up to so I know when to stop. That said by only lowering the cradle to the right depth you'd have to power load to get it on any further.

I went through this exercise this time last year with my X2. Learned alot along the way. I ended up with craftlander 45120 and sunchaser canopy. I had to do some custom work to get the canopy on that brand lift because of the way they throughbolt the upper cable connections on the mounts. Not a big deal just some drilling of the aluminum canopy uprights to fit at the correct heights.. a bit of a trick since I did it on water. Required a dismount of the lift wench which was a PIA. Ideally if you build the canopy on the lift during lift assembly would have been much easier.