Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-14-2011, 05:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Prostar TT 197 w/ LY6
best way to plumb heater on LY6?

Hey guys,
OK...I've read as much as I need to be confused. I have an '07 Prostar 197 with the LY6 motor. Like so many others, I do have occassional overheat issues at idle, so I'd love to get the short story on the solution to that as well...but more immediate is my question on the best way to plumb the heater? I know the stock setup, but it seems many complain the design of this motor with the heater in line where originally installed produces little heat. I don't really care to do things twice and was hoping for some good input before I undertake so that I can take advantage of other's experience. Anyone have this motor that can chime in? I did buy the Y fitting that supposedly improves the temperature of the heater at idle...but now I need to put a plan in play for the entire install. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 02:29 PM
TT Regular

Ca'mon guys! 55 reads and no help? Anyone?
Old 10-15-2011, 03:25 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imawreck View Post
Who is your dealer???

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 10-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imawreck View Post
It's the weekend, everyone is probably at the lake and those 55 that viewed it don't know how to do it.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:52 PM
TT Regular

Smile

Valid point....but its windy here today, no reason to be on the water and I'm anxious for an answer Anyway....who goes to dealers Jim for stuff you can do yourself? No offense, but if I took my boat to the dealer for everything it ever needed, well....then I couldn't afford to own it. I'm not in the honored group of boat owners who just look to their warranty

Wouldn't be warranty work anyway....my boat didn't have it stock. I know I can easily talk to them about how it might have been done at the factory, but we all know that this board is a better place to get the "best" advice. Seems the truth not only comes out here more often, but you get a lot better advice from those that have lived and learned. I don't always want to do things the way the factory intended. Hell....if that were the case, I'd be pumping on hundred's or thousands of pounds of ballast in order to try and create a decent wakeboard wake. Instead, I installed a floating wedge and have to give it to the Bu guys with that option. (I can hear the steam building already) I'm just not sure if I now have to change the decals to read "MasterBu"??

Anyway....trying to make my boat the best all around at everything possible....including a comfortable ride when I pull it out next Spring shortly after the ice breaks. If anyone has an LY6 or any knowledge of what might be the best hookup points, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:53 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 Prostar 197
I have an LY6 with the factory heater set-up and haven't had any complaints about lack of heat. I'm not saying that's the best way to plumb it, just that I have been happy with it's performance. As for the overheating at idle issue, I've been there. I would be interested in hearing a real fix for that also. My fix is we don't idle a warm engine. As long as you start moving within a few minutes and keep it above 4 or 5mph it will stay at operating temp.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
My dealer explained to me that the LY6 doesn't work as well with a heater as the other engines because the thermostat is opposite of the others. Not entirely sure what he meant, maybe Jim can explain.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star
Send a message via MSN to Holman J.B.F
here is what i did,i know it works but use it at your own risk.

Keep the U hose (original heater tap point) as it is,..DO NOT REMOVE OR BLOCK THIS FLOW!
see pic where to install a T with a 16mm out and the heatercraft Y-pipe

iirc,..the ly6 has a reversed flow,..by cutting the circulating pump hose that goes to the thermosstat housing,you will tap waste water from the engine and re-use it to heat your heater(or in my case the lpg convertors & heater)water is pushed thru heater and ""sucked"" back in thru the Y-Pipe.P.s you can install y-pipe right after the oil cooler(s)
It works for me,the LPG convertors stay hot enough when in idle,...and so is the heater.

Last edited by Holman J.B.F; 10-17-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: pics fail
Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X-Star
Send a message via MSN to Holman J.B.F
pics ,...i will take some pics of the install when i,m at the boat,it is already winterized and stored
Attached Images

Last edited by Holman J.B.F; 10-17-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
TT Regular

Awesome, this is exactly what kind of feedback I was looking for! PM in your inbox. Thanks!