Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-26-2004, 10:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Send a message via AIM to erkoehler Send a message via MSN to erkoehler
2000 Mc Ps 190?

Hi, my name is Eric and I am new to the board. I am 19 and in the market for my first boat. I have been waterskiing pretty much all of my life in Northern Wisconsin, and am now in the market for my first boat. I have been looking at the Mastercrafts, Malibu's, and Nautiques. I found a 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 190 with the 330 hp engine and 139 hours on it.

I am looking to find out if there have been any problems with the boat in question, what I should look for, and if you recommend the boat?
Old 08-26-2004, 10:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 05 X-45
I would highly recomend it. I just picked up a 94 PS this season and have been out on it just about every day with no major problems. However I can't offer much advice about problems with that boat, but i'm sure someone else knows. Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Sounds like an excellent boat. Where in the Northwoods are you? We're going back home next week on vacation, to Park Falls.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:40 AM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Welcome to the board. The best advice I can offer about buying boats is to go out and drive it/ski behind it. If the owner gives you any problems with doing this, walk away. Don't just drive it for 10 minutes, glance at the wake, and put it on the trailer. Spend some time out there. Run it hard. Take it to wide-open-throttle and check the speed, rpms, temperature readings. Shut it down and let it heat soak, then restart. Check the temp again. Is there water in the bilge? How are the engine mounts (if they spin, it's bad). Rust on the engine? Records on the boat? How's the vinyl? How's the gelcoat? Spider cracks are bad. Does the fuel guage work? Is the wake flat and soft? Is there a rooster tail? Is the prop dinged up? Is the shaft/strut straight? How does it steer at slow/high speeds.

Do some searches on the various years/models on this board and the old one. There's lots of info to be taken in. Good luck with your search. If you buy it, post some pics!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:57 AM
MC Master Poster

My grandparents have a resort around the Eagle River/St. Germain area in Northern Wisconsin.

Thanks, for the advice from all. And keep it coming. I have never owned an inboard, or driven one, so all info is GREAT!
Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Try this, go to the old board and look for the superthread. I think it was started by a guy named Jeff. It's in the general forum (archives perhaps). It's named buying first boat (or Mastercraft) -advice or something like that. It got a ridiculous number of hits in the first few days and was the longest thread in memory. All the advice was spouted in that thread that you could ever imagine. It seems to have worn everyone out, too, because never again was a thread so long, so fast.

But then again, there's the swimsuit thread.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:20 PM
MC Master Poster

how is it that you get to the old board? Sorry, may sound dumb, but I am new to the site.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: ProStar 190 1996 LT1
http://classifieds.mastercraft.com/s...s.pl?pg=topics
Old 08-29-2004, 08:07 PM
jtk23

Wink New boat use

Be sure of what you want that boat for as well. A prostar 190 will not wakeboard well at all. If you are slaloming or footing you wont find a better boat than a 190. If you are wanting to board get a 205, 205v, or an x series.

JK
Old 08-29-2004, 08:26 PM
MC Master Poster

jtk23-

Thanks for the advice, I really don't wakeboard all that well, so I am sure it will be just fine for what I want. I do trick, slalom, and want to learn how to foot. Can't wait. Might be on the water as soon as next week.