Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-star
Sadly it seems he never filled in the information I'm actually after. Also I'm hoping to help speed up filling up the KGB tank fill time which will in turn help fill my front bags, where he's filling a completely separate bag that's being used for just surfing.

I probably need to start my own thread to ask my specific question, but I'm still not sure I've got my head wrapped around it myself.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33nine View Post
Sadly it seems he never filled in the information I'm actually after. Also I'm hoping to help speed up filling up the KGB tank fill time which will in turn help fill my front bags, where he's filling a completely separate bag that's being used for just surfing.

I probably need to start my own thread to ask my specific question, but I'm still not sure I've got my head wrapped around it myself.
Instead of using the overflow from the KGB filled by two pumps to fill the front sac, just add a 4th pump to fill your front sac?

I don't think you could flow twice as much through a 1 inch line just by adding another pump.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-star
Well, what I'm really trying to alleviate is having that KGB tank take twice as long as everything else. I don't trust the gauges, so I can only really know it's full when the front bags start filling.

Ideally I'd like to get twice as much water to the KGB so the whole thing fills up/drains twice as fast as it does now, but doing that seems really complicated to me still just yet.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:34 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33nine View Post
Well, what I'm really trying to alleviate is having that KGB tank take twice as long as everything else. I don't trust the gauges, so I can only really know it's full when the front bags start filling.

Ideally I'd like to get twice as much water to the KGB so the whole thing fills up/drains twice as fast as it does now, but doing that seems really complicated to me still just yet.
Sounds like you might have a restriction in the fill/drain or vent line.

If you put the KGB vent line back to the stock configuration and feed the bow sac with the new 4th pump you will still know when the KGB is full because it will shoot out of the vent just like it did before you added the bow sac. Run a new thru hull and vent for your bow sac. The end result will be faster filling of the front because you will simultanously be filling the tank and the sac rather than filling them in series like you are now.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 x-15
OK, so here is how the final product came out. When I got into it there were a few changes from the original drawing above. Main difference is that where the main line enters the factory tanks is easily accessible, so I spliced (T'ed) that line ran it to a valve - then to the bottom fat sac.

Then, I spliced (T'ed) the vent line and ran that line to a valve - then to the top of the front fat sac connection.

So with both valve closed - the system works as originally installed bypassing the fat sacs. With both valves open - it fills the factory tanks, then starts on the fat sacs.

All works good.

One thing to note is when emptying the fat sacs - when the sac is empty, you must turn the lower valve or it will not empty the factory tank.

Also, the pumps are on timers. You have to cycle the switch 3 or 4 times to completely fill the factory and fat sac tanks.

I find to surf on the x-15: Fill the KGB and port tanks, fill the port fat sac full (400lbs). Then fill the starboard hard tank as needed (if you have a lot of passengers you don't need to fill this tank, if you only have 1 passenger - you may need some additional weight). We were surfing!!

Last edited by Will.I.am; 09-16-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM
TT Newbie

I might add, at first attempt, we filled everything - all 3 factory tanks and both 400lbs fat sacs. We had the back sank above the two silver loops above the ski deck. The ski deck was actually dragging in the water making the wake REALLY dirty.

That is where we actually found the wake better with one of the rear sides completely empty (both tanks empty - factory and fat sacs).
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 AM
TT Newbie

Final Drawing

OK,

Here is how the install ended up. As stated the main change is splicing the T at the intake of the factory tank instead of at the vent.

All in all about $110 (including the fat sac quick disconnect connections). 4 t's, 4 valves, 4 fat sac quick disconnects, lots of hose clamps, and about 8 ft of 1 inch hose, and an hour of time.

I recommend to get the more flexible 1 inch hose that is clear - nice to see the movement of water.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2011, 10:37 AM

I see how with both valves closed you would only fill the hard tanks. Do you open both valves to fill the tank and sac? If that is the case it would seem like the water would take the path of least resistance and you'd have trouble filling the sac. It would also seem that gravity would push the water from the sac back into the hard tank and then out the vent.

Just looking at the design it doesn't seem like its going to work that well, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 PM
TT Newbie

Right, my intention was to have the fat sacs fill after the factory tanks. I want pressure to be on the factory tanks so that when I drain, it does drain to the factory tanks.

Keep in mind that as you state, water takes the path of least resistance, but also your full level must be lower than your vent out level.

In other words, it will continue to fill until the fat sac level is either over the vent out level or the sac is full.

It is one thing to consider, the vent line should not be ran high to the fat sac, but rather ran low with the top most point being at or above the vent out level. If you run the line high - it will push out the vent line like you state.

My original thought was to use the back fat sac connection as the vent, and I ran the line from the T at the vent up and down the side of the boat to the back of the fat sac. This did cause the vent to overflow before the tank was full. I moved that vent to go from the vent T to the ground to the front of the fat sac. This solved all the issues.

Will

Last edited by Will.I.am; 09-16-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:34 AM

You are correct. I do not know why I thought it would push water back into the hard tank and then out the vent. It would only push it out the vent to the point that the sac and vent are at the same level.

Let me know how it works for you.