Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-25 6.0L "On Order"
CantRepeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
This is what I did before I put in a 4th pump.
Question ... Why the second Vent ? how does that 3 way valve work
Old 08-29-2011, 01:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 x-15
Thanks for the pic. Couple of questions:

* why did you not tie the two vent lines together?
* Where did you get the 3 way valve - the one's that I have seen are very expensive.
* did this system work?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwardenjr View Post
Question ... Why the second Vent ? how does that 3 way valve work
If the vent lines run together the water could just overflow into the sac when you are trying to just use the hard tank.

The valve has one in and two outs. If you have it set to go to the vent then just the hard tank fills. If you have it set to goto the sac then once the hard tank fills it will overflow to the sac.

The way I kept the sac from collapsing on itself was just to keep the vent line short enough to keep the sac from falling down.

I still use the valve in my new set up. I plumb the valve so I can switch my starboard pump from the starboard hard tank to the surf sac.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.I.am View Post
Thanks for the pic. Couple of questions:

* why did you not tie the two vent lines together?
* Where did you get the 3 way valve - the one's that I have seen are very expensive.
* did this system work?
It work very well.

There are two types of 3way valves. One is $120 and the other like $39. Both are listed on wakemakers.com. I went with the $120 model.

With the way I did it, you didn't need a second valve, just had to add another vent.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 x-15
About the three-way, that is why I was putting the shut-off valves at each end of the fat sac. This way - when they are open - all water is diverted to the fat sacs until they are full - then it overflows through the vent - likewise when draining. Then I can shut off both valves and not worry about the vent line coming back into the fat sac. Again, our drawings are almost identical, but I would rather T into the vent line than drill a new hole.

I will take your advice about making the vent line short to hold up the back of the fat sac.

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.I.am View Post
About the three-way, that is why I was putting the shut-off valves at each end of the fat sac. This way - when they are open - all water is diverted to the fat sacs until they are full - then it overflows through the vent - likewise when draining. Then I can shut off both valves and not worry about the vent line coming back into the fat sac. Again, our drawings are almost identical, but I would rather T into the vent line than drill a new hole.

I will take your advice about making the vent line short to hold up the back of the fat sac.

Thanks for the input.
Right on. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2012 X-25 6.0L "On Order"
Quote:
If the vent lines run together the water could just overflow into the sac when you are trying to just use the hard tank.

The valve has one in and two outs. If you have it set to go to the vent then just the hard tank fills. If you have it set to goto the sac then once the hard tank fills it will overflow to the sac.

The way I kept the sac from collapsing on itself was just to keep the vent line short enough to keep the sac from falling down.

I still use the valve in my new set up. I plumb the valve so I can switch my starboard pump from the starboard hard tank to the surf sac.
Makes sense ... Thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
With the 3 way valves you could combine the vents by putting a check valve on the sac's leg of the vent line.

Personally I'd either rip out the hard tanks and get bigger sacs or just do the simple cut into the overflow/vent method. I know several people with them spliced into the vents and it works fine.

Either way I'd remove the timers and replace them with simple relays like the '06 and older models had. The timers are more trouble than they're worth.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 X-star
Quote:
This is what I did before I put in a 4th pump.
Me and a buddy have been discussing installing a 4th pump to take some stress of the kgb/plumbed in pwt sacs up front. Do you have documentation at all of how the process went for installing the 4th pump? Did you have to drill a hole in the boat or did you just tee off of an existing line somewhere?

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33nine View Post
Me and a buddy have been discussing installing a 4th pump to take some stress of the kgb/plumbed in pwt sacs up front. Do you have documentation at all of how the process went for installing the 4th pump? Did you have to drill a hole in the boat or did you just tee off of an existing line somewhere?

Thanks!

CantRepeat did a great writeup here on a factory quality 4th pump install:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=40934