Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
X2 Ballast Pump Relocation

Anyone else thinking about relocating their rear ballast pumps? I have an 07 X2 with the pumps located behind the panels in the two rear storage areas. I'm thinking about having the brother in law cut a bracket so that I can mount the pumps behind the engine horizontally with the pump faces facing forward so I can get to them. This would require rerouting the hoses and maybe adding a 90 degree fitting. The advantages would be stopping the pump head from leaking into the pump motor, much easier access to the pumps and being able to change the impellers without removing panels.

I fear this could be another episode like the trailer jack plate where it takes me a year to do so if it sounds like others might be interested I'll at least get a template made this fall for a early spring installation. I was thinking about a single L bracket design made of stainless sheet metal that would mount just over the drain hole where the transom is pretty thick. I originally started looking at this last year when I had one of the rear pumps fail and already have the hoses and fittings.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I'm not sure which MC, maybe the 45, but I have seen one where they were mounted that way. Sure looks like it would be easy to change the impellers.

The only design issue I could see is water leaking into the motor when dumping tanks while at speed. I guess if the seal has a total failure it would leak back into the motors. How likely is that to happen? I don't know.

I do support the idea, that's for sure.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I was able to flip the rear pumps upside down (no water in the motors) without changing any of the hoses at all....barely.
Doesn't help the access issue, but get's the pumps flipped for $0 and only a couple hrs work.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2007 x2 mcx
You can also rotate the bottom of the pump 180 degrees to reverse the water flow once you remount the pump. This will allow the fill and empty switches to work properly. There’s a diagram on a post here somewhere that shows the two screws you remove to rotate the bottom of the pump. I think the post was from Jason at Wakemakers.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcountry View Post
You can also rotate the bottom of the pump 180 degrees to reverse the water flow once you remount the pump. This will allow the fill and empty switches to work properly. There’s a diagram on a post here somewhere that shows the two screws you remove to rotate the bottom of the pump. I think the post was from Jason at Wakemakers.
That's what I did. Only took about 20 minutes.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Or you could just move two wires on the switch to reverse the flow.