Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Does the stereo go off when the alarm sounds? Mine does this when I get the low voltage alarm.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Yes, the stereo does indeed go off when the alarm comes on. I didn't know if that was the case though for any time the alarm goes on for anything.

What are all the ways the alarm can go on?

-Low Voltage
-Low Fuel (my tank is 3/4 full)
-Low Oil Pressure?
-High Oil Pressure?
-High Temperature?

Any others? I have been told that it would not come on for high oil pressure, only low. And my engine temp is fine.

Also, if I were to disable the alarm by disconnecting the wires from the speaker, would this also somehow prevent the stereo system from working? Just curious if anyone knows the intricacies of the wiring with the alarm and stereo...

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:58 PM
MC Devotee

The only alarm I've experienced ( and hope that I don't experience any others) is the low voltage alarm. My stereo and gauges would die when it went off. What is the voltage on the battery with everything off, including the engine? If the alarm is going off immediately, you may have a bad batt.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
TT Newbie

I think that's been the issue... I think the battery hasn't been fully charged in quite some time, due to the alternator being bad for quite some time. It registered 10.5 ish with everything off yesterday before I went out with the new alternator for the first time. The alarm sounded once with the new alternator, but after riding around for awhile, it went off since (I guess) the alternator was finally charging the battery while riding. It got up to about 13 on the gauge. After about 20 minutes, I loaded back up and now have a battery tender charging it back up fully. I really think I need to charge up my deep cycle #2 battery as well, since I have always used the 1+2 setting on the battery switch and I don't think that my #2 battery has ever been charged. And that has probably been keeping both batteries low since they tend to even their charges out when in parallel, correct?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Sounds reasonable to me.

Put a good charge on both batteries, and your issues should go away (unless one of your batteries is toast).
Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks, I will be back out there Friday and will give it a go. I'm going to test the charge in both batteries while cold to see what my basis is before going out. I think if I can get them both to 12 V cold I will be okay.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: future MC owner
Just out of curiosity, did the owners manuals say anything about the beeping and what all of it means? I can only assume that if you had a vehicle, the owners manual would tell you what all the buzzers and stuff mean. FYI, I do not own an MC yet, but 2001-03 X-star is in my future. I worry that the owners manual that comes with each MC boat only tells you how to turn it on, and turn the tunes up.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM
TT Newbie

Unfortunately not... The manual leaves a whole lot left to the imagination.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM
MC Devotee

Could be that battery 2 is bad and draining battery 1.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 AM
TT Newbie

My thoughts exactly... I will be checking that first thing tomorrow when I get back out there. If I can get both batteries charged back to 12 V, I think my worries will finally be over. The new alternator was working, but battery 1 was starting so low that it was still tripping the alarm I think. Will keep yall posted in case you are interested... thanks for all the replies!

Tags
alarm, alternator, oil pressure