Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Question 2002 X-Star... Alarm Won't Stop Coming On...

PLEASE HELP! My mechanic is at a loss, as am I.

The alarm keeps coming on after about 5 minutes from initial start-up. It will stay on for about another 5 minutes, then go off. Then it comes back on after about another 5 minutes. Keeps doing this.

What are all the possible reasons that the alarm will come on? The check engine light is never on. My fuel gauge wasn't working, and we deduced it was the fuel sending unit that was shorted out. I replaced that, it worked one time, and now the gauge is back to being pegged on Full. I don't think the alarm is for low fuel (the tank is 3/4 full).

I noticed that the voltmeter on the dash was never getting above 11 ish, so I replaced the alternator. Put the new alternator on last night and now the voltmeter is registering at 13 ish when throttled, but it goes back down to 11 to 11.5 when idling. Is that low enough to still be sending a low-voltage alarm? Does the alarm even come on for low voltage?

My oil pressure gauge sits about in the middle during idling, but when throttling up, it pegs itself over on High. I think there is some calibration needed on it, but would the alarm be coming on for high oil pressure?

If all else fails, and I can't find the problem, is there a way to disconnect the alarm altogether? It is driving us insane. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
doesnt sound like its your oil pressure, i would highly suspect its your voltage. I believe the alarm will come on at 11.5 volts. even at idle you should be reading 13 unless you've got all the ballast pumps/lights/heater/csty lights/stereo on (only time i'll ever drop below 13 when the engine is on). above ~1100 RPM volt meter will peg just above 14. I'd suspect its something with a battery switch/alternator/isolator (if you have one). Take it back and have them look at that alternator first

btw the other thing that will make it go off is your engine temperature
Old 08-24-2011, 10:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
+1 on the alarm being for low voltage. I had a similar problem last year (alarm without engine light), and a fresh charge on a new battery fixed it.

How old is your battery? When was the last time you gave it a full charge with a plug-in charger?

Which engine do you have in your boat? I've heard the alternator on the LTR is quite small.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM
TT Newbie

Yeah, I think it is still something related to the voltage. I did do a load test on the battery before going out, and it was at about 10.5 volts cold. I used the 1+2 switch to start the engine, and I did immediately notice the alternator helping to get the voltage up to 13 when I got the RPMs up. But then as soon as I got back to an idle, it got back down to below 12. I have my Optima battery charging up again now to get back to 12 volts cold. Would that help you think? If I can get the battery charged back to 12, would the alternator keep it at or above 13 for good?

By battery switch, are you talking about the switch where I can be on either battery 1, battery 2, or both? I have been having to use 1+2 to start it almost every time. Could there be some issues with that switch that are causing some loss in voltage?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 AM
TT Newbie

I've got the 330 HP engine. Alternator I put in is a 70 Amp one, it basically matched the old one which was the factory one I believe. Also put a new alternator belt on.

My Optima 1000 CCA battery is pretty new, I bought it back in June I believe. But yes, it was definitely showing about 10.5 Volts when I tested out the new alternator yesterday. The alarm came on not immediately, but while idling after running it for a bit. When it came on, the voltmeter was at about 11. But then I throttled up and watched it go to about 13... held that for about 2 minutes and then alarm went off.

I left the boat in storage with a battery tender plugged into it. I'll have a better feel once I get back on out with the fully charged battery. Then I can see if the alternator will get me up to 14 with a 13 at idle. Hopefully.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
if the alarm is coming on while the boat is running, and you're not showing 13 volts at idle there's a problem with the alternator for sure. I had the same problem earlier this year, thought it was the battery and ended up having to replace the alternator. If its a new alt... i would say check your connections or have them test the alternator again to see if they put a bad one in.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM
TT Newbie

Could it also be my battery that is having trouble keeping a charge?

And back to the worst-case scenario, does anyone know how to manually disable the alarm altogether? We can't even listen to the stereo when it comes on since the alarm overrides that. So annoying. There's got to be some way to remove the alarm connection somewhere right?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quallsdw View Post
Yeah, I think it is still something related to the voltage. I did do a load test on the battery before going out, and it was at about 10.5 volts cold. I used the 1+2 switch to start the engine, and I did immediately notice the alternator helping to get the voltage up to 13 when I got the RPMs up. But then as soon as I got back to an idle, it got back down to below 12. I have my Optima battery charging up again now to get back to 12 volts cold. Would that help you think? If I can get the battery charged back to 12, would the alternator keep it at or above 13 for good?

By battery switch, are you talking about the switch where I can be on either battery 1, battery 2, or both? I have been having to use 1+2 to start it almost every time. Could there be some issues with that switch that are causing some loss in voltage?

Thanks!
What do you mean by "load test"? Did you put a voltmeter across the battery terminals, or did you actually connect the battery to a resistive load tester?

If you put a voltmeter across the terminals, you should get around 12.6V. With engine running, you should see around 13.8V.

If you get a full charge onto your battery, the alternator should be able to maintain the charge, as long as the alternator/charging system is working properly, and assuming you don't have ten bajillion watts of stereo amp hooked up to it

Last edited by G-Star; 08-24-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quallsdw View Post
Could it also be my battery that is having trouble keeping a charge?

And back to the worst-case scenario, does anyone know how to manually disable the alarm altogether? We can't even listen to the stereo when it comes on since the alarm overrides that. So annoying. There's got to be some way to remove the alarm connection somewhere right?
Yes, it could be the battery. If it's an old battery or hasn't been properly maintained, the battery may not want to hold a charge.

As for disabling the alarm, I don't think it's a particularly good idea, as the alarm is meant to bring your attention to engine problems - oil pressure, temperature, etc. that could be potentially damaging. With that said, the alarm speaker is under the driver's console, towards the starboard side. If you lay on your back under the steering wheel and look up, you should see it. I'm not sure if there's a quick disconnect or not, but a pair of wire cutters will make it quiet. But, again, I don't think that's a good idea.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies all, I really appreciate it. I agree, I don't want to kill the alarm unless I just have to. There's nothing worse than not being able to enjoy a day at the lake with the family because of its constant chirping. But yes, I do also want everything running smoothly.

I have been using a resistive load tester on the battery, and it was showing in the 10 to 10.5 range before I cranked it up and got it on the lake yesterday. I was also using the 1+2 setting on the battery switch which might have been even worse since my deep cycle battery is probably charged even less. I think I have a good idea on where to go from here... I have a battery tender attached to the Optima for now to see if I can get it up to 12.6 cold.

Tags
alarm, alternator, oil pressure