Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1995, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Glad to hear you got it repaired! Get out there and take advantage of less boat traffic! BTW, we run the Delaware river down here in Florence. You're always welcome to a pull if you wakeboard!
Less boat traffic? I was at Hopatcong on Sunday - I guess it was less than summer boat traffic, but it was still a bit busy! Looking forward to teaching my kids the art of wakeboarding... Unfortunately my skill set ends with hucking barrel rolls that I can never quite land and other jumps that lead to big wipeouts and provide a lot of laughter to the crew... And that was years ago on a hyperlite and an '88 ski supreme that a friend of mine had!

I have been looking at that stretch when I drive down 295 and been wanting to check it out. How's the temp and conditions? I am used the the Allegheny North of Pittsburgh. I will reach out to you to get some details about where to go, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
Interesting, Thanks! The shop didn't seem concerned about the temp at 180, maybe they missed that it was an LT-1 when we were talking. I am heading up there in a bit to talk to them. I will talk to them about this.
Glad to see the problem is fixed! I do find it a little odd that the dealer had no issue with the engine running at 180 degrees. As I stated, I have two different manuals for my boat and they both say that the LT-1 should be 160. You had the exact symptom that I had when I tried to run a 160 degree t-stat in place of my 142. Did they give you a discount for bringing this to their attention?
Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
Bartman was the only one who mentioned his temperature being 180 degree or higher. I have the 95 TBI and not the LT-1 but the book says 142 for the TBI and 142/160 for the LT-1. If it were me, I would replace the thermostats or at least take them out and see if the problem goes away with the engine running cold. It is possible that 180+ degrees is just on the boarder line of being too hot.

Several of us with the 95 TBI Maristars have the 142 thermostat and the engine acts up if we try to run the 160 thermostat. The engine will run at 160 degrees but doesn't want restart after it has been shut off.
Interesting post...the My boat manual calls for for 142 thermostat even thought the indmar engine manual calls for the 160. Folks over at www.skidim.com say the 142 was for the older carb'd engines. Changing my thermostat this winter...cuz I know its never been changed..I am second owner...Now I am very curious what thermostat is in there...
Old 10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1995, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
Glad to see the problem is fixed! I do find it a little odd that the dealer had no issue with the engine running at 180 degrees. As I stated, I have two different manuals for my boat and they both say that the LT-1 should be 160. You had the exact symptom that I had when I tried to run a 160 degree t-stat in place of my 142. Did they give you a discount for bringing this to their attention?
I hear you! The only thing that I can think of is that the '95 Prostar without the LT-1 runs (I believe) a 180 degree thermostat. Maybe he didn't think it through far enough when I was in looking for free advice and to buy parts.

I do know that they put a lot more than the 3 hours into troubleshooting and water testing the boat than they charged, so I guess that they did give me a discount, right? I'm going to stick with that instead of thinking about the fact that a $12 part could have saved me all my labor costs...

Tags
engine boggs, lt1, prostar 205, sammy duvall